(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Roadcraft
 Video clips by Advancedbiker
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

advancedbiker
13 Posts

BIDDULPH, STAFFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

Honda

VFR800

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  1:58 AM                       Like
I am Advancedbiker from Youtube, where I have 227 vids, 1,200 subscribers and to date 1.8 million views. The clips are seen worldwide and do generate a lot of discussion. In the main positive and from riders who are using the clips to help with their riding. The clips are in the main recorded on public highways in the United Kingdon and in Northern France. They have not been staged and are part of a bigger video clip. The clips are chosen to illustrate aspects of riding that some riders will never encounter.

THE HEALTH WARNING:
Any person who watches any video produced by Advancedbiker and Advanced Motorcycle Training.Com must be aware that they are not meant as instructional and Advancedbiker does not accept any responsibility for any incidents or actions a rider may take as a result of watching any video.

Ride to Arrive

Nigel Bowers

Nigel A
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

TAUNTON, Somerset
United Kingdom

(None)

Formerly BMW 80RT

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  2:16 AM
Thanks, Nigel, for coming on-board.

I know any contribution you make will be very valuable and much appreciated by members of the forum
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  6:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by advancedbiker

... in the main recorded on public highways in the United Kingdon and in Northern France ...

Welcome to the forum.

Were there any adjustments in application of Roadcraft that needed to be made for driving on the right versus driving on the left?

Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  6:23 PM
adancedbiker, I had the opportunity to view your video prior to you removing it. I personally hope you will choose to make it available again on this forum.

In the video, was the voice that of the lead rider or of the biker taking the footage? Was it commentary riding or was the lead biker being instructed on the path to take?

Your response will greatly aid my understanding of the video.

Ray

Go to Top of Page

advancedbiker
13 Posts

BIDDULPH, STAFFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

Honda

VFR800

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  1:51 AM
Hello Ray

The commentary is from the video motorcycle behind the rider you can see. The rider in shot can hear the commentary and reply as we had bike to bike comms. You do hear some other voice, as we had 8 bikes on the trip all with bike to bike comms. It was a five day advanced workshop. I thought it worked quite well, but not everyone shared my view. I have not used it again, yet......

Here is the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvKJDpNr7Q

Regards

Nigel
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  6:32 AM
Thank you for posting the link I am gaining additional insight with each viewing.

Were there any adjustments that you needed to make to the application of the Roadcraft principles when driving on the right side of the road versus driving on the left?

Nigel A, in a separate post, had explained the center line arrows. I notice them in your video. Are these common throughout Europe and do they hold the same meaning throughout? Are the road signs the same? Understanding this may help me understand a riders actions.

I had watched a video, a first viewing, with the sound off (did not want to wake anyone). When I watched it again, during the day, with the sound on, the riders commentary indicated that his positioning at some points were dictated by the warning signs. I had a good laugh at myself. Here I had been searching for birds taking off or moss growing on the side of a tree or some mystic knowledge that he possessed and I did not. I stopped wondering how the rider was able to foretell an upcoming hazard when it was not at all visible in the video.

I also now place a higher value on the commentaries.

Go to Top of Page

advancedbiker
13 Posts

BIDDULPH, STAFFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

Honda

VFR800

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  7:22 AM
Adapting Roadcraft....

Hello Ray

I found no problem at all adapting Roadcraft from the UK style of roads to the French roads. The postioning in the carriageway, especially for bends is the same, but obviously, the hidden dangers have changed. For instance on a right hand bend, in the UK we have either kerbs, side of the road, junctions but in France it is now oncoming traffic. The rider you have seen has been tested by me and is a RoSPA Gold rider and used to using road signs, street furniture as part of his assessment of the road, so he can formulate his riding plan, positioning for his own safety being the most important thing.

I do have a pdf from a rider from North Carolina who came over and did some training in the UK, interesting;
Link from David Henke
http://www.advancedmotorcycletraini...vidHenke.PDF
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  8:49 AM
quote:
[i]
I do have a pdf from a rider from North Carolina who came over and did some training in the UK, interesting;
Link from David Henke
http://www.advancedmotorcycletraini...vidHenke.PDF

Great article. One line that stood out is "The fundamentals are not intuitive." David really brought out the need for a great teacher.

I also laughed at his excuse about "playing chicken." (You have to read the article to get that one.)
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  1:08 PM
Thank you for reposting the link to your video and providing the excellent article from David.

I would think that the number system,1 (near edge) to 5 (crown), used in the video would be quite useful in training an experienced rider already versed in the principles of Roadcraft. My impression is that a rider new to Roadcraft, while following your position directions much as a marionette would respond to its puppeteer, would not necessarily yet understand the "why" of it. Is this a technique you would use with students who are new to the concept of Roadcraft, like David from NC?
quote:
If there are no tracks through the manure or when steaming, Nigel advises extreme caution.

This was hilarious but very serious advice.
Go to Top of Page

advancedbiker
13 Posts

BIDDULPH, STAFFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

Honda

VFR800

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  4:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by aidanspa

If there are no tracks through the manure or when steaming, Nigel advises extreme caution.

This was hilarious but very serious advice.
[/quote]
It gets riders thinking. The majority of riders seeing manure will try to avoid it as it might get the bike dirty and smelly.
What does an Advanced Rider see ?

Is it still in a lump - (I might be the first vehicle to come across the animla that dropped it)
Is it still steaming, fresh - ( Same again but the animal may be closer)
If is has been flatten - ( Which direction are the tyre marks, what size are the tyre tracks)

It may seem a daft and pointless exercise, but the avaerage rider does not look beyond the front wheel, and often never get out of what I call Car Mode,

Regards

Nigel
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  4:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by advancedbiker

Is it still in a lump - (I might be the first vehicle to come across the animla that dropped it)
Is it still steaming, fresh - ( Same again but the animal may be closer)
If is has been flatten - ( Which direction are the tyre marks, what size are the tyre tracks)

Really excellent. There are clues everywhere if you just look for them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05