(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3487 positive of 3869 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Buying a used bike - is this a good deal?
 1993 Honda Shadow VLX 600
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

BlackSol
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

St. Charles, MO
USA

(None)

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  3:56 PM                       Like
Wondering if this is a good deal... take a look.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/1727613647.html

Very low mileage for the age, seems to be in good condition, aftermarket pipes, rest is stock. New tires, new battery, just been tuned up. However, according to KBB:

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retai...ow-vlx/69556

The guy is asking for $2900, but KBB says $1780, not taking into consideration any aftermarket items, mileage. Any guesses on what would be a fair value?

Thanks.

BlackSol

Edit: Had the wrong link for KBB.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6867 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  4:55 PM
Kelly Blue Book isn't always too accurate on older bikes. For example, I've been paying particular attention to the Honda XR650L for about a year and a half. The bike hasn't changed significantly since 1993, so the only real disadvantage of an older one is that it's older, nothing else is really different. The older ones that are in good condition don't really drop much below $3000 or so even if KBB says it's worth $1640.

It could be the same with the VLX that you're looking at. It looks beautiful in the photo and since it's being sold by the original owner and has been garaged during its entire existence, it should be worth more than one that's been through five different owners and kept outside for 15 years.

But then again, most people on craigslist ask more then their bikes are really worth. Ultimately you have to ask if it's what you really want and if it's worth $2900 to you. Will you be kicking yourself if someone else buys it first and you don't find another deal like that for several more years?
Go to Top of Page

burhop.j
Male Junior Member
47 Posts

Metuchen, NJ
USA

Kawasaki

KLR 650

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  5:00 PM
Hmmm, hard to say, do know what was done during the tune up? Have you seen the bike in person or spoken to the owner over the phone / email? For the new tires, battery, and aftermarket pipes I'd add about 300-400$ to the kbb / nadaguide value of the bike. But this "tune-up" could have cost him a good deal considering the age of the vehicle. Before making an offer have a mechanic look at it if you can. If you can't convince the owner that you are seriously considering it and want it inspected by a trained mechanic at a garage then check out this website:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

It's a guide for buying used motorcycles; tells you what to look for and where and it also gives you some advice on pricing for aftermarket parts / recent work done.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4247 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:02 PM
The KBB price on the bike is about right for the 17 year old motorcycle in the listing. If it is low miles "like new" and and a service history is available $2000-$2100 may be a reasonable final offer for an especially nice machine that includes extras that you find desirable and would spend extra for after the sale if they were not included. Anything over that amount is like burning $100 dollar bills because one has nothing better to do. As mentioned above, the seller may have no idea of what the bike is worth or, on the other hand, he may know exactly what the value is and is looking for a newbie without a clue as to the actual value of the bike.
Go to Top of Page

BlackSol
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

St. Charles, MO
USA

(None)

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll see how he responds to price negotiation, but I'm not willing to fork out more than about $2100 for that bike. Nice bike, but even a bike sitting in a garage depreciates in value.

BlackSol
Go to Top of Page

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  6:51 AM
His price is too high. New tires, new battery and a 'tune-up' (Whatever that includes) doesn't increase the bike value.

Yes, it's pretty, and it except for the tires, it's likely all the other rubber parts are 17 years old, getting hard and beginning to or will begin to crack. That means fuel line, vacuum lines, carb boot(s), rubber washers and bushings, plug wires, etc.

Storing in a garage is good for the paint, but if it wasn't stored with a full tank of gas through the winter, there's probably rust in the gas tank; Meaning trouble for the next owner.

The aftermarket pipes Reduce the value in my mind. Will the original pipes be included with the bike? Those pipes look exactly like the aftermarket pipes my friend has on her 600 and they are obnoxiously loud.

I'd print the KBB value and take it with me to look at the bike. Then show the owner the paper and if interested, offer what the bike is worth according to KBB. There are lots of bikes available, there will be more. This is also the worst time of year to buy a bike...prices are inflated and newbies often over-pay.

Good luck with your search.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1058 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  7:47 AM
I'm guessing you've contacted the seller. I saw nothing in the add , that states it's a 1993 VLX. from a quick glance at the photo, the only mods I see are a "tool bag" on the front forks, and all the decals have been removed. the pipes appear stock.

Pros: a VLX 600 is a dependable bike, that has parts available, and holds it's value well. Often in demand as a "starter" bike, but I know folks who own, and ride them for years.

Cons: a 17 year old bike, with 3300 miles, could have hidden issues. Seals, hoses, any thing made of rubber might need replacing. Before you buy a bike this old, have a dealer, or trusted friend give the bike a very close inspection. Pay careful attention to the front brake hose, and the radiator hose. With a mere 3300 miles, the tires should have had a lot of tread, but with 17 years age, they were likely "dry rotted". Which leads me to worry about the hoses I mentioned. As well as the other "rubber items" mentioned by Indiana Randy.

Tires, and a battery are wear items, and have no value enhancement. After market pipes, do not add value. from the photo, if those are the pipes he's talking about. I suspect, he took a hole saw, and removed the rear baffle, from the mufflers. If there are new pipes, or the baffles were removed, the jets might need to be adjusted.

Far too many questions in my mind, without a skilled mechanic's review.

Check Craigslist, and see what the used bike values are locally. KBB, and NADA are "guides" they do not reflect the current glut on the market, of good, clean, low mileage bikes.

Have the bike looked over, before making any offer.

good luck
Go to Top of Page

BlackSol
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

St. Charles, MO
USA

(None)

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I had already contacted the seller, which is how I found out it's a '93.

I sent the link to the KBB guide to him, and asked him if he'd be willing to drop the price. No response over the weekend, so either he's been busy, or no answer is my answer.

I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Thanks.

BlackSol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05