(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Roadcraft
 Roadcraft in the United States?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Maximus
92 Posts

New York, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

FL Softail

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  1:52 PM                       Like
I'm not fully up to speed on this yet, but it's reads as if Roadcraft is the premier MC training protocol in the United Kingdom. Has anyone that's been through the program living in the States and teaching it here? Is it good enough to consider importing to the States? (I like competition. Maybe that's what MSF needs.)

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17282 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  2:13 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Several of us were interested in investigating the Roadcraft program and so I invited a representative of it to create a Roadcraft forum here which he did and which still exists. (Use the search function.)

The problems began when it became clear that in response to questions, all we got was catechism - word for word recitations of the party line.

Then, when he ventured forth with an opinion about the dynamics of a motorcycle which was challenged (by me), he became completely defensive and put off defending his answer by telling us he would ask his 'professor' buddy to help him out. He never bothered.

Along the way, he decided to begin collecting a list of our member's e-mail addresses by using our e-mail function to send e-mails to members, then noting their address in responses, or by simply asking them to provide it. (It is not possible to hide your e-mail address to the person you send an e-mail to in the form of a reply.)

Nobody here can 'discover' your e-mail address. I keep them encrypted in our database for that very reason. When challenged about his efforts, he again denied and shortly thereafter disappeared.

All interest in the Roadcraft program promptly evaporated here.

If you want to restart the discussion, feel free. But do it in the Roadcraft forum, please.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  3:12 PM
Not about Roadcraft, but some police departments offer training to regular riders. Here is one example of what is available near me:
http://alamedacountysheriff.org/rtc...0hrMotor.htm

----- Edit -----

Okay, that one is for police officers, but they also offer three different civilian courses.

http://alamedacountysheriff.org/_rt...MOTORCYCLE-2
Go to Top of Page

Jsin
Male Junior Member
77 Posts

Fayetteville, Ohio
USA

Honda

CB750 Nighthawk

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  3:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Not about Roadcraft, but some police departments offer training to regular riders. Here is one example of what is available near me:
http://alamedacountysheriff.org/rtc...0hrMotor.htm

Reading from the link, I don't think this is for civilians!

quote:
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT: Students are required to have:

1. a certified D.O.T. motorcycle helmet and eye glasses
2. Departmental Utility Uniform (coverall-type clothing)
3. boots that come over the ankle and leather gloves
4. 200 rounds duty ammo.
5. If possible bring agency motorcycle for second week of training.

I don't have duty ammo, nor an agency motorcycle :P

Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  5:17 AM
North Carolina State Highway Patrol Sargent Mark Brown, did talk the NCSHP into sending him to London, to train at "BIKE-SAFE London.
He has since returned as a certified instructor, and is in the process of training fellow LEO as BIKESAFE instructors. I know it's spreading across North Carolina, as well as neighboring states.

You might suggest your local/state police look into starting a similar program

http://www.bikesafe-london.co.uk/ where it began
http://www.bikesafenc.com/index.las...EAVSpJ183D63

Bike Safe-London has been effective in lowering accident/fatality rates, and BSNC hopes to duplicate that record.

Go to Top of Page

Maximus
92 Posts

New York, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

FL Softail

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  8:33 AM
Thanks to all for the insights. Although it's been a while, every now and again I have the need to take a business trip to London. Perhaps on the next one, I allow myself a some free time for this one-day Bike Safe training.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05