(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Would you buy the same brand?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jeff Popa
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Akron, OH
USA

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  7:50 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
If you had to do it all over again, would you buy the same brand of motorcycle again? Comments should list current ride and why you would/wouldn't buy same

Results:
Exactly   [54%] 31 votes 
Same Brand Different Model   [39%] 22 votes 
Different Brand   [21%] 12 votes 
Wouldn't buy another motorcycle   [0%] 0 votes 
= Guests (18 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 57 »»   Last Vote: 01/04/2011 12:35 PM 

Jeff Popa
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Akron, OH
USA

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  7:53 PM
I am very happy with my Harley Ultra. Since I am now towing a trailer, it suits me perfectly. Plenty of power, very comfortable, easy to work on (but never needed) without disassembling tupperware, and the "family" is great. Plus, need a reason to ride??? Always another T-shirt from another store!!!!
Go to Top of Page

utahninja
Male Starting Member
3 Posts

Salt Lake City, Utah
USA

Suzuki

DL650 V-Strom K5

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  9:26 PM
My current bike is a 2007 Ninja 250. I would highly recommend this bike for any beginner, or as a fun commuter bike. If I was to buy another bike, I would be happy with another Kawasaki or any other brand. I figure in another 2 years I will be ready for a Dual sport bike in the 650cc range, and keep the Ninja as my daily commuter.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  9:33 PM
I had a 2005 Suzuki DL650 and totaled it through operator error. I bought a 2007 DL650 with ABS brakes which just became available that year. I wanted to maintain only one motorcycle instead of the five I once had at one time and and test reports indicated it was probably the best all purpose middle weight standard bike available.
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
841 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  6:05 AM
I am forced to buy a different brand because the brand has gone out of business. However, if Buell were still in business I would buy another. Yes, I know that Erik Buell Racing still exists and there is lots of talk about a street bike soon but it is just talk at this point.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  6:06 AM
I bought my Bandit as a returning to motorcycling bike. I knew I would not be buying a new bike every couple of months to suit my changing tastes and wanted a good all around bike. I have been happy with the performance and one up comfort since I changed the seat and added the handlebar risers. This bike in my opinion is probably one of the best values on the market.

If I bought another Suzuki it would probably be one of the v-stroms. A bit tall for my taste but I would need to really test one two up. My Bandit is crowded two up with my luggage package.

I am leaning toward a BMW sport tourer. I don't want all the weight of an all out dresser, but I want a proven two up comfortable bike. I do a lot of riding on the superslab and need a bike that is happy at speed for long stretches of time with good wind protection. Now that I know I really do love to ride, not the memory of riding, I am willing to spend a bit more on my next bike.
Go to Top of Page

Moses
Male Senior Member
377 Posts
[Mentor]

Grand Rapids, Michigan
USA

Harley-Davidson

FX Softail

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  8:46 AM
I like the Softail, because it's quite comfy for me. I'd buy another H-D, but not another Sportster, a V-Rod, or a Rocker (I just don't care for them).

As far as the other bikes I've owned;

I'd buy another Kawasaki in a minute - loved my 900 Z1 Classic, my all-time favorite bike.
I'd probably buy another Honda - never had problems with them. Mine were extremely dependable.
I'd never buy another Yamaha on a dare. My XS1000 Special gave me more trouble than all of my other bikes combined, and that's no exaggeration. Yes, that includes both of my Harley-Davidsons. Maybe my Yamaha was just a lemon, but that lemon sure left a sour taste in my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:54 AM
I like my experience with HD ('99 Road King previously) but if I could buy a new bike today it would be a Yamaha FJR1300, a very comfortable and well-regarded Sport Touring bike.

Simple enough to add my pink leather tassels to it.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  11:57 AM
Having recently purchased another bike, I would do it again. I'm thinking that I might like the Super Enduro better than the Adventure model, but I never got the chance to try one of those.

There are lots and lots of bikes from many different manufacturers that I would love to own, and every once in a while it's good to change a bit. After 13 years I stopped riding Ducatis, for example. Someday I'll sell the KTM and get something else too, but right now it's the one that best meets my needs as a rider.
Go to Top of Page

House_of_Dexter
Male Senior Member
324 Posts

Richardson, Tx
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom DL1000

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  12:43 PM
My first bike was a Ninja Ex-500...I put 31,000 miles on it...Was a great bike to learn on...and to be a daily commuter. I've bought a new bike a Triumph Thunderbird Sport...love it...at first thought I needed a fairing because I do lots of road trips...but the TBS has been great for long hauls...and I don't miss a fairing...

My commute was 90 miles round when I was riding the Ninja...now I have a 10 mile round commute with the TBS...if my commute increased again I would definitely look at getting another Ex-500...
Go to Top of Page

PopPop
Male Junior Member
47 Posts

Wilmington, DE
USA

Honda

2011 Kawi Concours14

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  2:31 PM
I've been a ST1300 fan since it came out in 2003. Have had three of them over the last 7 years for a total of 75,000 miles. With a few changes, like a replacement seat and a better windshield I have always enjoyed the bike. However, the new Kawi Concourse 14 is an amazing bike! Lighter, faster and more standard options than Honda offers on the ST at a price that is $2,100 less! A no brainer!
Go to Top of Page

Alan_Hepburn
Male Standard Member
191 Posts

San Jose, Ca
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500SE

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  4:14 PM
I currently own a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. With a limited budget it is the best bang for the buck and gives me everything I want in a bike for the price.

Of course you can maybe get more bike for the same price if you buy used, but as a newer rider I wanted new - as a relatively novice rider I wanted to be comfortable in the fact that any issues I had were caused by my riding style (or lack thereof) rather than possible mechanical issues.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  5:16 PM
I suppose, if I had a large pile of cash to spend before the new year.... I'd go buy a 2011 H-D road Glide Ultra (not QUITE what I ride... but close)
Truth be told, I really don't KNOW what I'd buy.... as that tends to be a function on my planned USE of the bike, at the time of purchase...
I had not THOUGHT about buying this model, until I had accepted the concept of spending $13g for a bike....once THAT hurdle was cleared, I looked around, and found this bike, at a dealership. Up until the moment I decided to purchase this bike, I had considered the Road Glide, the ugliest bike on earth... and gold, to be the worst color. What can I say... it GREW on me.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  9:02 PM
Dear Abby, I feel like the high school kid who upon graduation married his childhood sweetheart. My Shadow Spirit VT750 has been great and I really am happy with it. I would do it all over again, but...

I can't help but wonder about the other bikes I have seen. I look at them and say wow look at the shape on that sport bike. Oh, look at the rack and trunk on that tourer. Man, that adventure bike is hot and ready to go anywhere, any time. I can't help but wonder if I am missing out on my true love. My wife says poly-motorcycling is not for us. What should I do?

Signed,
Confused in NY

Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  5:02 AM
I happened upon a situation that allowed me to trade and get a bike zero out of pocket.

To be fair, I can't say I'd have went looking for that exact bike even though (as it turns out) it has been fabulous and I've outfitted it for my use and comfort.
I voted as my most likely choice at any time; Different brand.

My likes are among the Triumph Thruxton / Bonneville (purely aesthetics) or going the ADV-Sport style and in either case, keeping options open for a smart buy on a pre-owned bike.
I'm happy with the 70 hp 750 and I feel more modern bikes in the 600-1000 cc range are going to fit my needs.
I'm not sure I'll ever want a big displacement bike, one designed mostly for long tours or anything with lots of high tech widgets.

Hopefully this means the bike I may look for someday will be simple, cheap, used and the market will be flooded with them.
Not sure the Honda will ever fail my basic wants and needs though.
This is a good thing.

~brian

Go to Top of Page

staticattic
Male Senior Member
410 Posts

Tampa, FL
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  2:04 PM
I love my Shadow Spirit 750. As far as first street bikes go, this one has been great. If I were in the market to buy another bike, I would be torn between a dual purpose bike or a sport bike. I have always been partial to Honda, mainly because Honda was what I grew up with.
Go to Top of Page

wbrownell9
Male Junior Member
58 Posts

New Castle, DE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  3:24 PM
I bought mine as a "re-entry" bike. I knew when I bought it that it was on the edge of being too big. After enough practice and solo riding for me to be comfortable on it, it's doing its intended job of providing good times for me and my wife. Turns out to be a nice commuter and errand-runner too. Research and lurking on this site helped me make a good decision. I'm happy with my decision to buy the bike I did.

That doesn't mean that I'm not wondering whether something different would be a better choice NOW, though...
Go to Top of Page

Redbeard
Male Standard Member
107 Posts

South Ogden, UT
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST 955i

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  6:12 PM
I'm on my second Triumph Sprint ST 955. After the first one got wiped out by a left-turner, I knew I had to have another. I'm planning to ride this one for the foreseeable future. If it were to be taken from me, I might try a newer Sprint with the 1050 motor...
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  9:52 PM
I really like the two bikes I have now better than any other bikes I have owned, but neither model is still in production. If I had to replace one or both of them, I would probably buy another of the same brand, but not of the same model.

If I were buying a new bike, a Moto Guzzi Norge would definitely be my choice, if I could find one. Unfortunately, Guzzi dealers are rare, and none are close to me. This would be especially true if I had to replace both of my current bikes with only one.
Go to Top of Page

old deputy dawg
Male Starting Member
6 Posts

Joplin, Mo
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1300 Tourer

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  1:05 AM
I have 2007 1300 V Star Tourer. Want to try a Gold Wing. I think my wife will enjoy her ride a little more.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus
92 Posts

New York, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

FL Softail

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  11:03 AM
My next one will have to clear this hurdle; it MUST be liquid cooled. I like my air cooled V-twin, and hope to have my first H-D for far longer than the eight-years I've currently owned it. But one in the stable is enough. Besides, Harley has enough of my money.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05