(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Leather Ups?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Maximus
92 Posts

New York, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

FL Softail

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  1:21 AM                       Like
Good day folks. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with products they've purchased from Leather Ups? I have some reservations about purchasing a riding jacket based on photographs viewed on a computer screen.

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:30 AM
I haven't dealt with them myself, but they have a good reputation.
They are often recommended on the same level as NewEnough.com, who I have dealt with, and who are excellent.
If you post a link to the specific jacket on their site, we can offer more advice...
Go to Top of Page

rbperrie
Male Starting Member
9 Posts

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
USA

Harley-Davidson

Low Rider

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  5:10 PM
Bought some riding boots last year from them, quality was good, price was excellent. Yet when they came in the left boot was very tight and the right boot was very loose even though both were labeled the same size. So had to go through the hassle of returning them but company paid for return and replacements are working well. Customer service was good so no complaints overall.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus
92 Posts

New York, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

FL Softail

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  7:51 PM
Thanks for the insights. Meromorph, no exact plan yet, but, I've been in need of a heavyweight leather riding jacket for YEARS.
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  9:09 AM
Picked up a leather jacket to go with one of my cruisers. The price seemed right, but the seam down the arm frayed open in less than a month. They took it back but I haven't bought from them since. I decided to stick to more known factors
Go to Top of Page

scweeeker
Female New Member
12 Posts

Wilmington, DE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Softail

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  5:16 PM
Bought a pair of boots last month, too BIG, so I mailed them back bought boots at store. I decided I wanted an exchange for a riding jacket. It's been close to a month and after a phone call I am still waiting. BTW, the boots were nice and well made, just too big. I hope the jacket fits cause the waiting IS the hardest part.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus
92 Posts

New York, New York
USA

Harley-Davidson

FL Softail

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  9:17 PM
I guess I lucked out. I liked what I bought and have had no problems. The jacket arrived missing one shoulder pad. A phone call and three-days later, that was corrected. My experience was positive; I'd be a return customer.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Rosewarne
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Kalamazoo, Michigan
USA

Honda

1984 VF700C Magna

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  10:01 PM
I bought a classic Motorcycle jacket and leather harness riding boots from Leather Up in the beginning of spring. I wear them every day and they are as good as the day I got them. I also bought the same for my son and they are as good as mine. I got my father a jacket and he loves his as well.

That is three times that I have purchased from Leather Up and their will be a fourth, I need some chaps.

Do yourself a big favor though, Read thru some reviews on there site. That will give you an idea on how to get stuff ordered the correct size.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  3:04 PM Follow poster on Twitter
I agree with the last post...I've bought from them a few times and would have ordered the wrong size if I had not read reviews. Ordered pants a size 40 cause that's a size larger than I wear...they were too small...returned for a 44 and they're perfect.

I've always had good luck with their quality, pricing, service and returns. I would recommend them for gear if you take time to read the reviews.
Go to Top of Page

JMalmsteen
Female New Member
13 Posts

Long Island/Lancaster, NY/PA
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL1200

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  8:35 PM
I just ordered a motorcycle jacket for my husband that was advertised as "premium leather." When it got here (after a week), my first clue was the really small box. The jacket is made from thin, cheap leather- not something that you would want to rely on to save your skin.

Good leather jackets are 1.2+ mm thick and are full-grade. You want a Fox Creek ($450), a Schott ($600+) or a Vanson or possibly a Langlitz. I have been looking at the Craigslist and ebay ads and just got a Schott Perfecto for under $100. Buy used if money is an issue, or buy new if you can afford it

I would not recommend the cheap leatherup products. Also, please Google their reviews and you will definitely not want to order from them.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  7:15 AM Follow poster on Twitter
"Premium" is a subjective term. Top Grain is probably the best leather you can find for riding gear.

In the past few years, as leather prices have increased exponentially,many retailers have been using small pieces of thin leather (scraps) either stitched or bonded (glued) together to form sections large enough to make clothing. It's OK for wind protection but as for abrasion resistance, it's only as strong as the material holding the scraps together.

As the old adage says..."You get what you pay for".

I have a pair of $40 chaps that I wear over my textile riding pants on colder days just to break the wind...I would never trust them to protect my skin in an unplanned dismount.

Go to Top of Page

Shadyrider
Male Standard Member
114 Posts

Hemphill, TX
USA

Honda

VLX 600 & GL1800

Posted - 12/22/2013 :  10:59 AM
Bought a classic biker jacket made of water buffalo in 2008---the box was large and I think it weighs 11 lbs,,,,, only problem so far is one pocket zipper has failed. I keep the remaining zippers lubed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05