(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Contrary Opinions
 Putting it in neutral at stop lights
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Alan_Hepburn
Male Standard Member
191 Posts

San Jose, Ca
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500SE

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  3:49 PM
...and then there's the Ural - the easiest way to shift it into neutral is to be in first and just kick it into reverse, then lift the reverse lever back up - it's in neutral! No need to try and find that sweet spot between first and second with the foot shifter...
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  3:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johncrosby

I've met many BMW riders who are incapable of clunking their bikes into neutral. Until recently it was almost a design quirk that they wouldn't go into neutral without rocking the bike gently forward and backwards. Wonder if Scott's ever had a BMW?

We were talking about getting the bike OUT of neutral, not into neutral. And no, I have not owned a BMW. I've ridden a few on demo rides, though.
Go to Top of Page

johncrosby
Male Senior Member
256 Posts

Sevenoaks, Kent
United Kingdom

BMW

GSA 90 Anniversary

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  5:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

[quote]Originally posted by johncrosby

We were talking about getting the bike OUT of neutral, not into neutral. And no, I have not owned a BMW. I've ridden a few on demo rides, though.

Good point Scott, sorry. Yes I've also never had any difficulty going from Neutral to first or second even on a clunky BMW.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  6:24 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I've been noticing a LOT of texting at stop lights lately. Some of them begin to look down at the screen even before they completely stop. From a parking lot, a friend was rear ended on his bike by an SUV texter, nearly pushed into the busy street. The guy didn't even feel the bump. Some of these texters can be creeping and not even be aware.

The flashing brake light might not be too effective then, but the horn may be.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  7:46 PM
RK, I have noticed the same thing. And it scares the hell out of me and takes a lot from the pure enjoyment I get out of riding a bike. Today's ride was a short 125 miler in mostly rural areas. The "texters" are obvious and obnoxious in their ambivalence to the real world in which they exist. Extreme DWI and routine "DWT" (driving while texting) are virtually the same in terms of the harm they are doing to themselves and, unfortunately, others. I am starting to notice the problem when I am simply trying to negotiate a supermarket aisle.

Today we carried a dumb phone in case we encountered an emergency and, as we did not, it was never necessary to turn it on.

I am still a believer that cellphones should be deactivated except for 911 calls when in motion at speeds over 4 MPH. After my supermarket experiences, perhaps that should revised downward to deactivated except for 911 when in motion.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05