(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3487 positive of 3869 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 How To ...
 Buying a used bike - is this a good deal?
 V-Strom DL1000
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  7:43 PM                       Like
I have been considering buying a second bike. I am trying to find a non-cruiser that would let my sore knees maintain at least a 90 degree angle. I have read many good things on this forum and in reviews about the DL-650. I am not sure if the kind words extend to its big brother.

There is a 2006 DL1000 on ebay whose current bid is 4550 with about a day and a half to go. Clear title, private seller, and 6760 miles. KBB lists the DL1000 at 3635 trade in and 5280 retail. Here is what it is listed as having.

Dyno Jet Power Commander fuel injection programmer
Timing retard eliminator
GIVI monokey hard luggage
Light bar
Sylvania silver streak headlights
LED tailight
Leo Vince exhaust (mounted) and stock exhaust
Pyramid front fender extender

Opinions / thoughts?

greywolf
Male Moderator
1478 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  8:21 PM
Your best bet is to check out http://www.stromtrooper.com/ and http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php
The former is a more sociable site and the latter is simply the best technical site for V-Stroms.

The 90 degree angle isn't as important as having the controls spaced such that it is easy to stand on the pegs. Cruisers with forward controls allow more than 90 degrees but all your weight is stuck in one place on the seat and the rider's back is often slanted. The V-Strom is set up like a dirt bike and lets you move your body. The DL1000 package is more of a raw and powerful one. The DL650 is more refined and sedate. The DL1000 in your description is set up even more on the power end. The TRE allows the engine to provide higher speeds than the frame can handle but you aren't planning any insane speeds I hope.

The Stroms have great accessory support including the Richland Rick footpeg and controls lowering kit for those who need more leg comfort. Givi Monokey luggage is quality stuff. The Sylvania lights tend to be short lived while the stock ones are great. The best thing for lights is a relay kit. It provides full brightness and heads off possible future problems with lighting system connectors and switch contacts. I'm wary of used bikes with such low mileage. Sitting around for long periods is not good for engines and fuel systems.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1682 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  8:26 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Ray, the 650 by most reports is the more user friendly of the 2.

The 1000 is an inch taller seat at 33.x inches, and a big 50 lbs heavier (big especially if taken off road, gravel roads etc). That inch might be the difference from being able to put both feet down at a stop.

The 650 is about 62 HP, the 1000 makes about 90. Either will be quite a jump from your current bike.

Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  11:01 PM
quote:
... but you aren't planning any insane speeds I hope ...

I have discovered I prefer my body parts attached. There may be an occasional ding in the NY speed limit but no real dents. In Texas they would probably fine me for going too slow. I hear they are now at 85 mph speed limits on some highways.

quote:
The 1000 is an inch taller seat at 33.x inches, and a big 50 lbs heavier (big especially if taken off road, gravel roads etc). That inch might be the difference from being able to put both feet down at a stop.

Thanks for pointing out the seat height, that is a deal breaker.

At a motorcycle show I was able to sit on a DL650 and it just allowed me to flat foot both legs. On paper the 32.3 inch seat height should have left me room to spare (33 inseam + a couple of inches for the foot) but it did not. I assume the leg spread caused by the seat ate up the expected excess. Backing the DL 650 into my garage would be an issue so if the 1000 is an inch taller it would just be a matter of time before things got ugly. The downward slope of my driveway raises my current bike a couple of inches when the rear tire enters the garage floor. When I back in at a bad angle I often have to stop at that point.

I actually want a DL 650 ABS but no one seems to sell theirs. If you look on ebay the most 650's I have found at any given time has been 9 for the entire country with maybe 2 of those having ABS.

BTW, thanks for the feedback and thanks for the links.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1478 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  10:08 AM
Both bikes can be lowered up to 3/4" in front and 1-1/8" in back and maybe a little more by trimming the rubber seat blocks. They can also swap seats. It's common for a Short Vee rider and a Wee rider seeking more comfort to trade seats. The 20mm seat height difference is all in the seat. I think the Wee would be a better choice for you though.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  5:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
I think the Wee would be a better choice for you though.

I totally agree. IMO I have not knocked enough rust (or green) off yet.

quote:
Originally posted by rkfireThe 650 is about 62 HP, the 1000 makes about 90. Either will be quite a jump from your current bike.

I hear you. Any change in bikes would demand a lot of PLP before I ventured out on the road with it even with similar style and hp. I turned down a Buell Firebolt (103hp) at a fantastic price (he needed it gone).

I explained I was not unhappy with the performance of what I have. I just want to try something different and yet be comfortable. I was tempted to buy it just to be able to see where the exhaust ends up.

http://www.ralepi.com/wp-content/up...ht-angle.jpg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 2.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05