(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 Passenger with Hip Replacement
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  10:51 AM                       Like
Hi lurkers of the aging and unique ability forum.

My wife goes under the knife on Monday for a Total Right Hip replacement.
She has been a devoted passenger for the 10 years or so that I have been riding. She now wonders if she will be able to continue after her convalescence.

Any thoughts based on experience yourself or others you know personally as to the risks involved?

Thanks in advance. Oh, she is younger, only 67.

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  11:12 AM
Very good friend of mine had a hip replaced last week. I can tell you your wife will be very well briefed on "Hip Replacement Guide Lines". I do know one of the issues that may make riding difficult is at no time can the angle between the legs and hip exceed 90 degrees, that and twisting is also a no no. My friend does not ride but he had to make a lot of modification to his furniture to accommodate the guidelines. I am not sure for how long all of the guidelines are in effect but like I said I am positive they will spend a great deal of time in explaining just what can and cannot be done. She should specifically ask about about riding however.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  11:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by SteveS

Hi lurkers of the aging and unique ability forum.

My wife goes under the knife on Monday for a Total Right Hip replacement.
She has been a devoted passenger for the 10 years or so that I have been riding. She now wonders if she will be able to continue after her convalescence.

Any thoughts based on experience yourself or others you know personally as to the risks involved?

Thanks in advance. Oh, she is younger, only 67.

I don't think there is much difference between being a passenger and a rider, hip-wise, with perhaps the rider being more affected. A guy I work with had hip joints that were so bad he couldn't walk without a cane and was unable to enjoy 2 wheeled transport either by pedaling or via a motorcycle. He ended up getting both hips replaced and, after all of the recovery and rehab, now rides his motorcycle but even more impressive rides a bicycle for many miles almost every day the weather permits.

I think she will be more comfortable riding after recovery than she has been in recent times.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  4:20 PM
Everyone is different so as Axiom says she should specifically ask her doctor about riding.

Having said that, I know a few people (yeah, age is showing) that have had hip replacements. The common thread is that everyone of them had very poor mobility and range of motion which caused the need. Everyone of them saw good to excellent improvement after the surgery, and after proper rehab. They did not lose the ability to do what they could do while in poor condition and regained quite a few lost abilities. None of them will be playing short stop for the Yankees or doing ballet anytime soon but who knows there is always next year.

I suspect that you will continue to have your backseat driver (I mean passenger), but check with the surgeon.

You may want to start working out a little just to be able to keep up with her.

Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1667 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

99 Sportster XL 1200

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  4:13 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Steve, I have a friend who is the same age as your wife and she had a hip replacement in November 2011. She bought a Spyder in the spring last year and rode it all season. I installed floor boards and highway pegs for her to enable her to position her legs more comfortably but she seems to be doing fine. I have other friends who have had hip replacements that weren't as mobile afterward. From what I can see, if one follows the doctors instructions, does the appropriate physio and exercises they can regain most of the mobility of their youth. If they don't do the work, they won't see the benefit.

Your wife may experience difficulty mounting and dismounting, depending on which hip is being replaced. You may have to get used to her getting on or off the bike from the opposite side she usually does. You may also find that for this coming riding season, your stops may have to be more frequent to allow her to move around some.

I wish her the best of luck with her surgery and wish both of you many more miles of riding together.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  9:34 PM
thanks for all the responses guys. Her surgery is tomorrow morning, so we're on the way to a long awaited recovery.

She will be in a hurry as soon as Spring starts to come, but luckily that doesn't happen here until mid to late April so she will have several weeks to do her rehab and get a sense of her new mobility.

Bottom line as most of you have said, each case is different, each person is different, so follow the Dr's suggestions and do the physio (physical therapy in USA) as prescribed.

Again thanks for your thoughts, they did bring her some more food for thought and positive outlook for another summer riding season.

Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  6:08 AM
quote:
if one follows the doctors instructions, does the appropriate physio and exercises they can regain most of the mobility of their youth. If they don't do the work, they won't see the benefit.
IMO, an excellent point worth repeating.

Update on how she is doing?

Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  7:32 AM
I just received a text message this morning with my "honey do" list so I think she is doing quite well..

Actually Surgery went great on Monday. Yesterday she was out of bed once with physio person and last night she was doing her exercises when I was there.

She may be released early, meaning tomorrow late afternoon vs Friday.

Now the work really begins, the exercise, physio, etc., and managing the stairs in our townhouse.

thanks for asking

maybe I should bring her home in her riding gear?
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  5:31 PM
Steve,
Any update on her progress? I thought of this post after visiting my friend who had this prodecure in Mid January and suffered a set back when the replacement came undone. He is fine now and is actually almost back to 100 %. Amazing what can be done these days.

Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  9:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

Steve,
Any update on her progress? I thought of this post after visiting my friend who had this prodecure in Mid January and suffered a set back when the replacement came undone. He is fine now and is actually almost back to 100 %. Amazing what can be done these days.

Hello Jerry, et al

Happy to report that I just returned from a 30 minute walk outside with my wife and her new hip. She is progressing very well. Thank you for the follow up. She is pain free on her operated side and it shows in her face and disposition! :)

She has been obsessive about doing all of her exercises and in-house walking daily since returning home. She is off pain meds as well.

Only problem is now her Left side (hip, knee, ankle) is struggling to re-adjust to her new mobility. Hopefully these issues will resolve but it is also likely she will have the Left hip replaced at some time in the future. She also has a bit of a limp now as with all the disintegration in her hip caused her pelvis to tilt so one side is a bit shorter than the other. Whether or not muscles and tendons can stretch out enough or not remains to be seen.

Her six weeks review will come later this month and hopefully she can do away with the two canes she has been using so that she does not put full weight on the new hip.

All in all, things are good. We don't know about riding pillion yet, but she usually doesn't get on until June any way so we remain hopeful.

I suppose this is more detail than you asked for but I am known for taking a sentence and making a chapter out of it. Or so my adult children say.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  12:41 PM
Steve,

Good news glad to hear she is doing well.If you are not careful she will be running rings around you before long.

Thanks

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  8:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

Steve,

Good news glad to hear she is doing well.If you are not careful she will be running rings around you before long.

Thanks

Jerry

It's been a while since I have reported back on this thread.

There has been no riding for my wife this summer. She developed some rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders from the canes she used pre-post surgery. An awful summer for her. But for me it allowed me three tours with "the guys" :).

She is much better and this weekend she wants to finally get out for an hour or so on the new bike she has not sat on yet.

I'll report the results after the ride.

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05