(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 More 60-somethings being hurt in motorcycle crashes
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

D R
Advanced Member
1053 Posts
[Mentor]

Northern, Virginia
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:47 AM                       Like
(Given this focus is on the older demographic I thought it better suited here, rather than General Discussion.)

The copyright declaration states the article cannot be be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Please go to the link below to read it.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/...cle-crashes/

Some snippets:

-- The number of people ages 60 and older who were injured in motorcycle crashes during the period studied rose 247 percent, from about 4,300 injuries in 2001 to about 15,100 injuries in 2008

-- Overall, the proportion of motorcycle crash injuries involving people ages 60 and older climbed from 3 percent in 2001 to 7 percent in 2008.

-- Older motorcycle riders were also three times more likely to be hospitalized for their injuries than younger riders.

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  6:18 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
My hunch is that during the same time period, 01-08, there was a large number of those chopper builder/reality shows on many different channels. At the same time, the economy was much better, allowing mid-life crisis purchases.

I think many of these bikes now sit in garages unused, then eventually put up for sale. Just look at all the 5-8 year old bikes for sale with only a couple thousand miles on them.

These same guys may have had a bike in their youth, and think they know how to ride. Some bought a bike for the first time, and got 5 minutes instruction from a buddy.

Some are "old salts", having owned motorcycles forever, but like the lack of formal training back in the day, still don't understand counter steering, or effective braking, or lifting a peg off the road in a corner, or braking in a curve, or WHY a motorcycle actually can't be seen, etc.

In a way, it's funny how an older generation might refer to youngsters as "know it alls", but maybe the older generation should be called the "think they know it alls".

Motorcycle sales were really down for the last couple years. I guess we'll see if this trend goes away or not.
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  8:42 AM
One of the things older folks need to understand - I am sure most of us realize this. Our bodies are not as able to shake off minor injuries the way we were able in our youth.

A "minor wreck" that we would have shaken off when we were 21, picked ourselves up, brushed ourselves off and ridden on our way now can be debilitating. Less muscle tone/mass, brittle bones, thinner skin, etc. now become reasons we now elect to go for doctor's care/treatment. Add to that the likelyhood we are better insured against a medical claim.

Hopefully our experience and ability to visualize further ahead will keep us out of those incidents more often than not. Hopefully we have a more developed sense of mortality and take fewer risks than we did in our youth.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2266 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  2:21 AM
Good topic; Sobering reminders and stats.

Very likely, more than a handful of us either remember some of those incidents from our younger days or have less than subtle reminders (aches or pains) that have come back to haunt us.

I'm thankful for only one minor irritation, that being a shoulder versus ground conflict from 14 or more years ago resulting from stupid-fast downhill bicycling in the foothills.
I find I have to roll my shoulder a bit at times to change position when riding the motorcycle and even that becomes less of an issue the more I ride on a regular basis.

I'll never lose the distinction of how I incurred such an injury on a bicycle and how much more of an event it would be at typical motorcycle speeds. This is a good thing. Being able to so easily visualize an ugly event as if it were to happen is something that helps me stay within the envelope.

~brian
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  2:54 PM
I hadn't thought about the memory of old bicycle injuries affecting how I ride, but I think it is true for me as well.

When I was 12 I got a 10 speed bike for my birthday. I proceeded to crash it into a car at the end of my block on my first (and last) ride on it! I still have road rash scars on my knees from that. The sub-conscious memory of that I think is what makes me be certain of my path when turning at an intersection and that I am at a speed low enough to make the turn safely.

I also agree with Daddio, that a bunch of injuries and one-bike incidents that younger riders get into don't get reported. I can recall several exhaust pipe burns I hid from my parents as I was "forbidden" from riding motorcycles. I also know several friends back then who wrecked their uninsured bikes for which they were not licensed to ride and we would call a buddy with a pick-up truck to come get it and get it into a neutral garage to fix.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 4.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05