(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Trip Reports
 Tips for new riders in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Walks
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Lake in the Hills, IL
USA

Victory

'04 Kingpin Tour

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  8:33 PM                       Like
Hey all,

My wife and I are heading to Rocky Mountain National Park for the first time later this year and are looking for tips on the rides. I read up on a few posts for Trail Ridge and Mount Evans and the rides look absolutely awesome.

We're seasoned riders but are true Flatlanders. If you're familiar at all with Illinois you know on long rides you change lanes just to amuse yourself. Southern and far northwest Illinois, and many areas in Wisconsin have beautiful rides but the elevation doesn't get much higher than a three story building. We have yet to ride in the mountains. Towed a camper through the Smoky's years ago but never rode through. Starved Rock in central Illinois is about as steep and twisty as it gets around here.

I'll keep searching the forum but if anyone knows of any links, has forum posts in mind, or has words of wisdom for newbie mountain riders we'd appreciate.

About us: We ride a fuel injected Victory Kingpin Tour. From what I've read a fuel injected bike is beneficial in the higher elevations. The affects in the change of elevation is a concern for us living around 575 feet above sea level. We're set with cold weather and rain gear and always keep a tool kit in the side bags.

Thanks!

Edited by - Walks on 02/07/2013 8:43 PM

twc
Male Advanced Member
836 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Collins, CO
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide Ultra

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Walks

I'll keep searching the forum but if anyone knows of any links, has forum posts in mind, or has words of wisdom for newbie mountain riders we'd appreciate.
If you've searched this forum for posts about Trail Ridge Road and Mount Evans, there's a good chance you've seen some of mine (e.g., here, here, and here).

Both Mount Evans and Trail Ridge Road are great rides. Both roads are seasonal, and even after they've just opened you need to be watchful for ice on the road. July and August are great months for both. Check the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) web site for road conditions before you go. The CDOT web site also has a really cool Windshield feature (here) that will give you a windshield view movie of most of the major roads in Colorado, including Trail Ridge Road and Mount Evans.

CDOT also has a Skill Rating Map on their Rider Resources Page that will give you a general idea of the difficulty to expect. I consider their ratings to be conservative, but then again I live here. Mount Evans is a pretty easy ride until the last part of the climb, which has a lot of tight switchbacks. The east side of Trail Ridge Road is also an easy ride, but the west side is more challenging, also because of tight switchbacks. Expect a lot of traffic on both roads, and expect people to stop at random to admire the view and for critter alerts.

Both of my bikes are fuel injected and have no problems at high altitude. But keep in mind that you might. The NPS has a good list of safety issues to consider, some of which won't be immediately obvious. We lose a few people every year to one or more of these.

This should get you started. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them. You're going to have a terrific time in Colorado.
Go to Top of Page

Walks
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Lake in the Hills, IL
USA

Victory

'04 Kingpin Tour

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  5:22 PM
Hi twc,

Sorry for not replying much sooner but yes I did see all three of your posts you mentioned. I appreciate all the information you've passed along!

I have a lot to study up on and I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05