(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Question for the Harley crowd ....
Member Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Members]  

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  5:08 AM                       Like       
I have a family member (a few states away) who has 2012 Road Glide Ultra and is looking into a Power Commander add-on for enhanced performance/economy.
It sounds like some mods he needs or wants to do will be related to intake air flow and less restrictive pipes.

Just looking for anyone who may have experience with or recommendations for aftermarket exhaust that are not loud. He's not a willing participant of the loud pipes idea, yet it appears he wants to go aftermarket.
Any specifics on brand, model # or even approx cost and source if handy, would be greatly appreciated.

~brian
Members These Members provided these Answers to the Question

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  8:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bachman1961

performance/economy.

It's somewhat possible to tune for one which will reduce the other. A Power Commander is best used on bikes that are on the bleeding edge of too lean and sometimes go over the edge due to EPA emissions regulations. A PC can restore good running manners to such bikes.

It is also often used to get the most power available along with an air filter and exhaust change for freer flow. Both scenarios hurt fuel economy. I don't believe I've ever heard of a PC increasing fuel economy. Modern bikes are set up lean for emissions reasons and there isn't much room to tune them for better economy. If that was managed somehow, it would reduce power.

A PC can be a valuable addition for a bike on the bleeding edge of lean that won't run well without extra fuel management. On a well running bike, the typical PC plus pipe plus filter change for power does work but to a very limited extent for a lot of money. It's real value in that case is for the person who likes his/her bike to to be different and perceived as better than stock. Also, those who do it themselves also get a feeling of accomplishment an the fun of doing the job.

The brand of pipe really doesn't make much difference performance wise. Choosing one is part of the fun. Please ask to keep the noise level reasonable for the sake of the neighbors and the image of motorcycling. Samson, Peacemaker, S&S all list pipes that keep the noise reasonable and are freer flowing and lighter than stock.

Edited by - greywolf on 02/19/2013 8:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

capozzir
303 Posts

Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  9:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bachman1961

I have a family member (a few states away) who has 2012 Road Glide Ultra and is looking into a Power Commander add-on for enhanced performance/economy.
It sounds like some mods he needs or wants to do will be related to intake air flow and less restrictive pipes.

Just looking for anyone who may have experience with or recommendations for aftermarket exhaust that are not loud. He's not a willing participant of the loud pipes idea, yet it appears he wants to go aftermarket.
Any specifics on brand, model # or even approx cost and source if handy, would be greatly appreciated.

~brian

Brian,
A friend in our riding club just purchased a 2013 Road Glide Ultra. He did after market "true duals" (header back sans cats) and I believe a slight remapping of the fuel delivery. The pipes are quite loud (of course that is relative to the stalking whisper of my bike). His other bike (a Road King) has similar fuel mapping but just has slip-ons. The Road King is much more quiet and just as fast at the Ultra.

He likes to say the only difference that happens when he opens the throttle is that the Ultra gets louder but they both poke along at the same slow pace. :-)
Go to Top of Page

HaveBikeWillTravel
Male New Member
16 Posts

Santa Maria, CA.
USA

Harley-Davidson

Softail Custom

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  6:23 PM
If the bike was purchased new in Calif. there smog engines are set up leaner than everyone else. My 09 was smog legal new Calif. bike. There are so many after market parts for HD it would be hard to recommend any specifics for an individual owner. I first installed a Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit. A few weeks later 3"Cycle Shack slip-on's, bye-bye catalytic converters in each stock muffler and there heat. After each each mod I rode the bike while ECM re-learned itself. It does not take long for the ECM reset itself. It will return to the original fuel mixture settings. Almost all major muffler suppliers have quieter and or loud pipes available now. Go hang out with some HD riders in his area see what works or not on there bikes, what they sound like. Dealer ships are good place to start. I then installed NiteRider Xieds inline with the O2 sensors. They trick ECM to fatten fuel mixture almost one point. Performance is better than stock. My oil temp is down 20deg. Fuel mileage is in high 40's, plugs look great. If bike is 08 or newer the ECM will relearn minor mods like air cleaners & pipes. If I change cams, will need a fuel manager. My mods ran about $600.00 I supplied the labor.
After all that being said. Just spend money,have Power Commander or similar installed see what it does. But HD engines need less restrictions on intake & exhaust side to get your moneys worth. Remember what ever the mods are they have to work together get best performance.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  5:50 AM
Most exhaust systems have a variety of baffles available, so (in theory) one could change to any pipe, and still be "quiet".

He might try a local indy shop...(if any), a place where the owner/wrench can take time and go over all the options. In general terms.... more POWER = more fuel being spent...
A cam change might give him more power when he needs it, which would get him off the throttle sooner, thus saving SOME fuel...
Go to Top of Page

Lightyear68
Male Starting Member
7 Posts

Bel Air, MD
USA

Harley-Davidson

Fat Boy

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  7:15 PM
For additional information, I found this thread on HD Forum, a very good site for tech advice.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...mmander.html

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Members]  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05