(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 Riding to/from dental appts, etc
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  5:03 PM                       Like
I generally ride everywhere unless it's raining or I have to haul more than will fit into the hard bags on my KTM. My car spends a lot of time safe in the garage while my two motorcycles and my bicycle all get used regularly.

A couple of weeks ago I had a dentist appointment to get two fillings fixed, one on each side of my lower jaw. I rode the KTM to that one and on the way home was wondering what I would do if I were stopped for some reason, since I could barely speak intelligibly with a totally dead tongue and all.

So now one of those fillings had issues and I get to go through the "wonderful" experience of a root canal. I'm trying to figure out if I've chickened out by giving in and driving my car to that one rather than riding one of the bikes. Theoretically it won't be much worse that the two fillings were, but I feel that maybe I won't be 100% riding the few miles back home, even though I will be driving the same distance in my car.

Any opinions on this subject?

I figure that as we age, the chances of going through more serious dental procedures increases, which is why this is in this sub-forum.

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  5:29 PM
I was a dental assistant in college. No way would we numb both sides of the lower jaw at once. Drool is practically uncontrollable and there is a danger of of biting the tongue. Think of chickening out as choosing the safer option. If in doubt, don't ride.
Go to Top of Page

Alabusa
Male Senior Member
254 Posts

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
USA

Suzuki

Extreme

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  7:30 PM
No alternative here, my dentist requires a driver any time a sedative or numbing agent is used.

The wife told me I tried to go for a ride after my wisdom tooth surgery. Luckily, I was happy and cooperative in my percocet fog. Not really, I am scared of my wife.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  8:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

...I feel that maybe I won't be 100% riding the few miles back home...
I think that riding at anything less than 100% physically, mentally or emotionally (assuming you have options) is needlessly increasing your risk. Since you don't know what kind of shape you'll be in physically, why stack the odds against yourself?
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  9:31 PM
I survived the root canal procedure and I'm not sure it was any worse than getting two fillings in one session. I probably would have been fine riding home from it, but it was just more comfortable driving the car back.

I'll be back on two wheels tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

aa6vh
Male Standard Member
166 Posts

Oxnard, CA
USA

Suzuki

Burgman 650

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  9:16 AM
I was worried that if I had any swelling after the dental work, my full face helmet might not fit properly. And the snug cheeck pads might end up pressing uncomfortably on that swelling.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  9:54 AM Follow poster on Twitter
any time that you are under the influence of any sedative (including novacaine), you are, and can be charged with, Driving Under the Influence or Driving While Impaired. The wise choice would have been to have someone else drive you to and from the dentist's office.

If something had happened, whether your fault or someone else's, you would most likely have been found at fault and charged with DUI/DWI. If, God forbid, you were in an accident and someone died, you could also be charged with vehicular homicide/manslaughter as a result of Driving While Impaired.

Driving home after the procedure was not the wisest choice you could have made...although, I'm sure we've all done it (myself included).

We're not perfect and we all take calculated risks from time to time...it's just a matter of how much risk you're willing to assume.

The cage was definitely a smarter choice than the bike though, to be sure.

Sorry to sound all preachy and stuff, but after spending a few years behind a badge followed by 16 years on an ambulance (volunteer), I've seen firsthand the results of "calculated risks" too many times.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05