(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Restoring headlamps
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  9:27 AM                       Like
I've never seen a m/c headlamp as badly in need of restoration as those on one of my kid's car were, but there's no reason this technique wouldn't work on any headlamp, including an older m/c.

Materials:

1- travel size tube toothpaste from Walmart: .99
1- 10 oz bottle Meguiar's Headlight Protectant: $4.00

Total: $4.99

Takes about 10 min per headlamp. Apply about 1/2 the tube of toothpaste across the surface of the headlamp. Using a couple of wadded up paper towels, work the toothpaste vigourously and evenly using circular motions (think polishing compound and orbital sander), until surface is nearly dry. Wash the surface of headlamp with clean and very wet paper towels. Dry. Apply the Headlight Protectant as instructed.

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  10:25 AM
I use Pledge to clean bug splatter and dust from bodywork. It keeps future bugs from sticking as badly and prevents windscreen and headlight clouding. It's good for other plastic parts too. I used to use Plexus before it got crazily expensive.
Go to Top of Page

The Meromorph
Male Moderator
834 Posts
[Mentor]

White House, TN
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  12:25 PM
There's some stuff (called DURAGLIT in England), that is cotton wadding impregnated with metal polish. It comes in a tin about the size of a coffee mug. I can't remember what the US equivalent is called, but I've used it, too.
It is absolutely superb for polishing transparent plastic - windshields, lamp 'glasses', etc. Toothpaste is good, but the Duraglit does it a little better, with less work .
The Royal Air Force has been using it since before WWII to polish the windshields of fighter planes, before every flight.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  12:45 PM Follow poster on Twitter
The U.S. equivalent is called Nev-R-Dull. We used that to polish just about all kinds of metal in the Navy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05