(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Rear brake lights stopped working!?!
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kent
Male New Member
13 Posts

Sterling, Virginia
USA

Honda

750 Magna (1996)

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  6:21 PM                       Like
So today, I swapped out my stock horn with a Big Bad Max air horn. The installation went pretty smoothly - I had to go buy a 20A fuse, and I had some trouble running wires under the tank (never took the tank off, just propped it up a bit and threaded the wires thru), but the horn sounds AMAZING.

Problem? Well, I can't say for sure if this has anything to do with the new air horn, but now my rear brake does not activate the rear brake light. My FRONT brake does, however!?!

Checked the fuse box, all fuses are A-ok. I'm not an electrician (that's an understatement), so I'm probably going to have to take her into my local shop.

Any relatively easy things I can check? I'm thinking that a wire got unplugged somewhere along the line, but it's nothing that stands out so far as I can see.
Thanks!!!!
Brian

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  6:29 PM
There is a switch that causes the rear brake to illuminate the light. Typically the two brake switches will connect to ground and power goes through the brake light bulb and back to either or both switches. Sometimes the switch gets out of adjustment and sometimes they stop making good contact. Or you could have knocked a wire loose.

Your only hope is to follow the wiring through to figure out where it is no longer making contact.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kent
Male New Member
13 Posts

Sterling, Virginia
USA

Honda

750 Magna (1996)

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  7:45 PM
You are SPOT ON Scott! Lying on my back looking up at the underbelly, I tracked the linkage from the rear brake back toward the rear tire and BINGO - saw a spring mechanism that actuates the rear brake light. Stuck the key in the ignition and turned on the running lights, then pulled on the spring-switch - BINGO, rear brake light goes on! There's an adjustment knob - a few turns, and bob's your uncle, I now have a functioning rear brake light!!!

Feels good to be King!!!!
:)
Brian
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2266 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  2:32 AM
Nice it worked out that way.
Not sure I can think of how or why that would happen in sync with the other work you were doing. Strange timing coincidence.

A normal trouble-shooting map would probably tell you to start there at the switch (not knowing you were doing other electrical work and shifting things around).
My default would likely involved three days tracing wires never thinking of the odd coincidence.

Edited by - bachman1961 on 09/30/2013 2:42 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05