(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

   OR   
   
Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

 All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Trip Reports
 Two week trip to CO area
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

capozzir
Senior Member
303 Posts


Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  6:54 AM                       Like
My wife and I normally plan a big motorcycle trip every other year. We've made several trips out west as we find the scenery so different from that found on the east coast and the views are often quite spectacular out that way.

This year we took a 2 week 6k mile trip out to Colorado and back. We had planned on visiting Rocky Mountain National Park but the flooding in Boulder and the surrounding area required use to make adjustments.

Here is our trip blog.

http://randmcapozzitravel-colorado2...logspot.com/

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]


Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  8:53 AM
I would love to do a long trip like that. I've done it in a car, but not on a motorcycle.

Next time come a bit further west to California and try the wonderful roads in the Sierras and along the coast.
Go to Top of Page

capozzir
Senior Member
303 Posts


Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  11:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

I would love to do a long trip like that. I've done it in a car, but not on a motorcycle.

Next time come a bit further west to California and try the wonderful roads in the Sierras and along the coast.



We very much want to get out to the western coast. Lots of great things to see and roads to ride over there.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]


colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  3:47 AM

Looks like a nice spin.
I'm about an hour and a half over to the east from your trip south from Aspen.
Here is a link to an article about the San Juan Skyway drive, a loop over by Durango. It's difficult to find a story or write-up about this area without it involving motorcycles. It sounds like one would need to budget 2 - 3 days of a trip to enjoy it.

Maybe something to consider next time around!

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ri...hoto_02.html
Go to Top of Page

capozzir
Senior Member
303 Posts


Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  10:21 AM
Thanks for the link.

2 years ago we rode out to Utah and on the way back we spent a day at Mesa Verde. When we left Mesa Verde, we rode north on CO145 and then connected to US550 via CO62. We then rode US50 all the way home to VA.

It's amazing how many fantastic roads and views are in CO. You're a lucky guy to live in such a beautiful riding state.

quote:
Originally posted by bachman1961


Looks like a nice spin.
I'm about an hour and a half over to the east from your trip south from Aspen.
Here is a link to an article about the San Juan Skyway drive, a loop over by Durango. It's difficult to find a story or write-up about this area without it involving motorcycles. It sounds like one would need to budget 2 - 3 days of a trip to enjoy it.

Maybe something to consider next time around!

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ri...hoto_02.html

Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]


Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  1:20 PM
550 between Montrose and Durango is my favorite ride in the country.
Go to Top of Page

capozzir
Senior Member
303 Posts


Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  7:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

550 between Montrose and Durango is my favorite ride in the country.



When we return to CO, spending more time in that area is definitely a must. I've not ridden the best part of US550 (Ridgway to Durango).

The Silverthread Highway (runs between just outside of Gunnison to Lake City) was pretty awesome with the Aspen's turning colors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 2.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05