(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Skully Helmets
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  12:25 PM                       Like
Google Glass with GPS, rear-view camera and bluetooth connectivity.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/23/...elmet-video/

Beta-testers apply here:

http://www.skullyhelmets.com/#itemI...be2ae6340cca

Too distracting or a good idea?

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  1:05 PM Follow poster on Twitter
Well...I applied to be a Beta Tester. Hopefully, being a Safety Professional with the ability to give feedback from that point of view will help to convince them to select me.

I will withhold my opinions until I have a chance to make an informed comment. Hopefully, you have the option of turning off the rearview display when carrying a passenger.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  8:21 AM
quote:
I applied to be a Beta Tester
Please let us know if they contact you, and what they have to say.

I went to the site to see what the price on these helmets would be and they do not appear to be available for retail sale yet. I was tempted to apply as a Beta tester but decided not to because I don't put a lot of miles on my bike during the NY winter. I take short trips (half hour +-) a couple of times per week just to circulate the fluids and do some quick PLP. I am most curious about how they handle fogging but that question will come should you become a Beta. The second question on my mind is helmet weight. I could not find any specs. I will be returning to the site to see if it was just my oversight once real life gives me some breathing room.

Go to Top of Page

bricksrheavy
Male Standard Member
130 Posts

Europe
Croatia

Yamaha

FZ6

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  10:01 AM
First issue that pops in my mind is display obstructing the view of the right hand mirror, also, I wonder how much will the bug splatter on the outside of the visor affect the rider being able to clearly read it. Hopefully they will sign you on so we can get first hand info.

post edited for spelling errors

Edited by - bricksrheavy on 10/25/2013 1:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  12:51 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
It looks to me to be a whole lot of distraction.

I don't think the rear view screen has a lot of merit. It doesn't appear to show the typical blind spots to the side and behind. In the meanwhile, there's like a rolling video of where you've been.

I don't want the distraction of music, or phone calls, or the sometimes annoying gps voice instructions.

I use a GPS sometimes, and find a quick glance telling me with a -> 2 miles, and Elm St, to be all I need to turn right on Elm in a few minutes. It talks, but I can't hear it..lol.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  9:07 AM Follow poster on Twitter
I do quite a variety of riding...from Pocono Mountain twisties to congested North Jersey interstates to in-town and some (limited) city riding...not to mention the rural farm roads that most people don't believe exist in NJ.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to test it in all of these venues. If I get selected as a Beta, I'll post my reviews here as well as to the manufacturer (if they don't specifically prohibit it) so that everyone here can reap the benefits of first-hand information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05