(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 Folding cane ?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit
Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  10:31 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I've had a bad back for ages, but it's recently flared up.

Funny enough, it's easier to ride the bike than the gymnastics I have to do to get into a car.

Hoping this is temporary, but if they say surgery, I'm in. Right now, I just can't stand or walk for more than a few minutes. Which also means I don't want to go store to store.

Does anyone use a folding cane that they might carry on their bike? I'm not a lightweight guy either, so it would have to be pretty sturdy.

ps: I'd like to buy one locally and have it right away. Walmart, drug store chains, etc.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  1:21 PM
I have one that you can adjust for length that someday I'm going to turn into a strut that will allow me to take a wheel off of my XR650L when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and need to fix a flat tire. Until then, if I can't find a big rock or log to stick the bike on, I can always just lay it on its side.

Why not just get a decent strong cane and come up with some sort of scabbard to hold it while riding. Here's the general concept:

I would think that a couple of velcro straps could hold it in place while you're riding.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  4:40 PM
Have you considered a trike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGO2MRGesow#t=29
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  6:40 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by gymnast

Have you considered a trike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGO2MRGesow#t=29

Thanks, but when I went to order one, he said he's not making any more for sale...lol.

Got a folding cane tonight at a drug store. Seems sturdy enough, and fits in my saddlebag.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  4:25 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The next thing I want is a folding chair that folds small enough... I've seen one online made to fit in saddlebags, but it sure was pricey.

I saw while internet shopping, some "canes" with a built in seat of sorts. They didn't fold small though.

While at the moment I can't even stand or walk for more than s minute or 2, I did get a couple of rides in. That sure takes ones mind off of things, just pleasure. Sure I wince a bit having to put a foot on and off the peg at a stop, but worth it. I'm gratefull my bike has a riding position which causes no discomfort.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  8:50 PM
How about this one Roger? Very small, supports 275lb, well-reviewed, reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/TravelChair-1...=pd_sim_lg_3

Closed Dimensions: 18" x 3" x 3"
Seat Height: 18"
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  9:27 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
That's pretty cool. I'm half jesting about the chair though, but I have searched now and then online.
Go to Top of Page

Leaky
Male Junior Member
91 Posts
[Mentor]

San Diego, Ca
USA

Harley-Davidson

XL1200C, FLHTCUI

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  5:16 AM
I have used this chair in the past. And now the chair has leg extensions and a cupholder available too. It all folds up surprisingly small.

I am not endorsing the product, but it will be my next touring purchase.

http://www.kermitchair.com/
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  7:57 AM
I have hard bags which increase the rear width of my bike. I have one of those nylon chairs that when folded (and in their case) appear almost cylindrical. I put it across the passenger seat and bags. The chairs height almost exactly matches the bikes width. I then strap the chair to the saddlebag supports. I've done this a few times when the family was going to a picnic or BBQ and we were one passenger too many too fit in one car. It has forced me to take the bike.

Might not work for your bike but I thought I would mention it.

These are the straps I use.

This is the style of chair but my folded size is about 31" where this one is listed at about 22. Much too low for me and my bad knees. I bought mine at Kmart or Walmart after seeing the size and sitting in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Fishi...=nylon+chair

Edited by - rayg50 on 12/07/2013 8:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

AaronC
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Honda

1984 Magna vf700c

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  8:22 PM
I instantly thought of House M.D.

He had clips on the side of his bike that he just snapped his cane into.
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  7:56 PM
I use a fold up drugstore can when I get the inevitable strain that comes from being a triathlete- works great and is always a hoot to see people's eyes light up when I whip it out of the rear case.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  4:22 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I got a ride in yesterday, and it sure felt good. Brought the folding cane with me, but I didn't stop anywhere. When the gas ran low and switched to reserve, I didn't feel like stopping and having to get at my wallet under the layers ..lol.

It truly is much nicer than getting in and out of my Ranger pickup. Bending my neck to get in, and swiveling my lower body is painful. With the bike having no roof, easy as can be, as long as I can swing a leg over, which wasn't bad.

MRI tomorrow night at 9:15pm, I had no clue they do that so late. I guess they're busy. The doctor says he may try a cortizone shot in my back. I hear that gives nearly immediate relief, but I also hear it may not last. I'll take the relief for now.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  8:22 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I haven't gone riding since that last time. The folding cane sits in the saddlebag. I'm almost glad that the several snow storms, and then sub-freezing temperatures since, doesn't make me think I'm missing out on much riding.

I can barely stand or walk now. Using a regular cane with the 4 feet, so it stands up by itself. They suggest surgery, but it sounds like a big deal. Going to try another option for Cortisone injected in the hot spots of my spine to reduce the swelling of inflammed nerves. I thought I was getting them yesterday, but it ended up being an office visit with the doctor that does that. I go next week instead.

I'm praying this works, this is awful.

On a side note. I never had a garage or shed big enough to properly work on the bike, or other projects. My tools have been scattered around the house wherever I could find a nook and cranny. I had a 12x16 wood shed, with a high roof, loft etc, delivered back in December. I can barely walk to it, nevermind do any bike maintenance...lol.

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  9:41 AM
Roger, An inversion table at 45-50 degrees of tilt, 30-45 second sessions, fixed up the back problems of both myself and the Missus. Now we use it at the first sign of back pain and it takes care of the problem See, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...FAQ-20057951

Also see, http://www.bing.com/search?q=Invers...&form=MOZSBR

In about an hour we will be going skiing, something that I thought I would be giving up about 10 years ago. As long as I can ski, I can ride. Check out an inversion table, you may find that the traction it provides takes the pressure off the nerves allowing the muscle spasms to subside, and helps the discs to recover.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  10:05 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I meant to ask the doctor about this, after watching the commercials with the device. Thanks for the reminder. The steroid and inversion may help. Hope so.

The stenosis has been there for quite some time. They did mention my lower vertibrae being compressed too.

I was always an active guy, firefighting, construction jobs on the side, skiing in the winter etc. I was the guy they'd turn to for something requiring muscles..lol. Now I have a chair for showering, geez.

I'd still be better off on the bike, because getting in a car, or even my pickup is really painful. BUT, I'm also taking pain pills regularly, so that doesn't mix. The last time I rode, I was timing traffic lights so I wouldn't have to put a foot down.

I need to diet too, take some of the load off.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  5:34 PM
"I meant to ask the doctor about this, after watching the commercials with the device."

The guy doing the TV commercials is showing the possibilities of the device for a highly conditioned and atypical individual. For spinal traction, muscle spasm and sciatic nerve relief it is not necessary to tilt beyond 45 degrees from horizontal. A good starting point is 15 to 20 degrees for 30 seconds to a minute at a time for several days to get used to the device and spatially oriented. After a weel or so increase the tilt adjustment in roughly 5 degree increments until you are at 45 degrees.

Cutting weight and increasing core strength should be a great help in regaining the active, pain free, lifestyle that you once enjoyed.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  9:09 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to talk to the ortho, and I'm thinking this may be of use after the cortisone as a potential way to keep the pain away.

I wish I tried it before it got this bad. My leg muscles were aching when I stood for any amount of time. That was a new sensation for me, and I really didn't associate it with my back at first. It was not like the sciatica pain that I knew.
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  9:39 AM
Roger -

I feel your pain. That common mantra of a former president is genuine. I went through a couple of cortisone injections to keep me moving. The first lasted only a couple of weeks with relief. The second about two months later lasted a bit longer.

Fast forward a couple of years - I tolerated the chronic pain for far too long. I started getting acute episodes that were awful. I finally had an acute attack after playing frisbee of all things that would not let me get out of bed without excruciating pain for a couple of days. My wife asked - are you ready to do something about that now?

The surgeon - great rep in our area - looked at the mri's and asked me how do you function? I had surgery on the 9th of last September. It was a three level spinal fusion. Quite major for back surgery.

After 3 and a half months I am back at work. I still have the chronic pain. It is a different sensation, but chronic. I have not had any more acute attacks. I did throw a leg over the bike and took a couple of short rides during early recovery. The Bandit has a slight forward lean that I feel takes some pressure off the spine. They were very enjoyable but too short.

I still have the numbness that set in before surgery - doc says it may be a couple of years before that is better.

I surely do not get on the bike as much lately, but come spring, I intend to do motorcycle therapy. It is good for the soul. Thankfully - spring comes early in Alabama.

Best wishes with your back. Don't expect those pain blocks to be a permanent solution if you have real organic issues with your spine. They just mask the pain. If you mask the pain too well - you may continue to do additional damage.

Good luck -

John

OBTW - Your technique of timing lights - I just took that as smart riding, not pain avoidance. I try to do the same in my car to get better gas mileage.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:26 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks John. I originally had a herniated disc, the lowest one, from 20 years ago. At this point though, they are saying stenosis. I didn't really have much of a conversation with the surgeon, only if I could try the injection. It's a different doctor the surgeon sent me to about the cortisone, and I liked him, and his prognosis.

I confess to be phobic of hospitals, and surgery. He did say his goal was to simply get me back to a level prior to this fairly sudden bout. I'm going to try this. He did say it might be good for 3 months, or 6 or even a year. Then I could to do it again if necessary. At the moment, getting quick relief is high on my wish list. I called a doctor well into this, and way too tardy. KIcking myself now because it seems a week before the next step can take place.

I do wonder if I use the inversion gismo, might I keep it at bay.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  9:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

I've had a bad back for ages, but it's recently flared up.

Funny enough, it's easier to ride the bike, than the gymnastics I have to do to get into a car.

Hoping this is temporary, but if they say surgery, I'm in. Right now, I just can't stand or walk for more than a few minutes. Which also means I don't want to go store to store.

Does anyone use a foldling cane that they might carry on their bike? I'm not a lightweight guy either, so it would have to be pretty sturdy.

ps: I'd like to buy one local and have it right away. Walmart, drug store chains, etc.

Sorry to read about all the pain and discomfort Roger. You're sure trying all the available treatments. In my experience time is also a factor.

Before my wife's hip replacement last Feb. She would take her folding cane with us on the bike when we traveled. She also said riding on the pillion was one of the few places she could get comfortable. In fact she wouldn't let me stop to rest until we were almost out of gas.

Best of luck in recovery!

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  8:21 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks Steve.

Yeah, no kidding. The motorcycle is not only an excellent sitting position, and no painful getting in it, but the pleasure and mental escape is worth more than any pills. The next nice day, I just might skip a dose to get a little ride in, if possible.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05