(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 Folding cane ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  11:06 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Got a couple of Cortisone shots at L4 and L5 yesterday. He said give it 5-7 days to work, but I am feeling comparitively great today.

We'll see, but I am thinking positive, and hoping it lasts a reasonable amount of time.

It was bad before. Since I couldn't resign myself to using those electric scooters, I didn't make an attempt to get oil for the overdue change on my bike, or that snap fastener kit for my winter bike jacket at walmart. I could not walk that far, even with a cane.

I'm taking it slowly and carefully for now, but, it's fairly nice today with 41 F forcast, so a ride is in order.

I asked this doctor, new to me, but I liked him, about tilting tables. He said he didn't think it would do much, for me. I'll ask the ortho doctor at my follow up visit.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  8:18 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The cortizone didn't last at all.

I'm having surgery on the 1st of April. The bottom 3 veribrae are collapsing onto each other, plus boney spurs.

They're going to cut bone away, then spread the vertibrae, then use plates and screws to hold everything in the proper place.

I get a ride in now and then. When I feel good enough to get to the bike, and actually swing a leg over. Getting good at leaning it to the right at stops so I don't have to put my left leg down..lol.

It's been a long road, I am hoping and praying this works. It's been bad for the last 8 months, but my back issue goes back 20 years. Hopefully, I'll be kicking myself for not doing this 10 years ago like they suggested.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  10:30 AM
Roger,

Best of luck, hope it all works out well and you are back riding soon. Please keep us posted.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  11:22 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks Jerry. I'll be riding whenever it is that I can..lol.

I've got a bunch of maintenance stuff to do on the bike also. Haven't been up for oil change, rear tire, valve adjust etc.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  9:37 PM
I'm sorry the cortisone shots did not last. My brother had them a couple of months ago for his broken back and so far so good. At the time the doctors told him they might last a day, a month, or an indefinite amount of time but that there was no real way of predicting.

I hope the surgery brings you the relief you want and that we want for you.

Ray

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  5:14 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks Ray. I am not enthused about going through surgery, and whatever rehab after. I sure am hoping it works. The doc said my leg pain should be gone immediately, just that alone sounds good right now.
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  9:52 AM
Best of wishes to you and your family. I said before I have been through this in early September and each and every week I feel a bit better. I did get a leg over a few times, but they were very short rides. Heal quick, but take your time. I still have a way to go.

I have not had any acute attacks of leg or back pain since, however there are still issues.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  3:16 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks Daddio, I went back to your earlier post. Yep, that's what they're gonna do, 3 level fusion.

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4263 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  3:33 PM
Good luck and a speedy recovery rkfire, time to get back to riding.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  5:40 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Thanks gymnast. I'm happy to get good wishes, just a little embarassed. I thought I needed to follow through with an update. Maybe I will be needing that fold up cane a while longer, reading Daddio's experience.

I thought it was some water therapy, whatever that is, followed up with regular therapy, whatever that is, and bing bang all better...lol.

My hunch is, just as it is now, once I'm ok to drive, I'll take the bike instead. Seems way more back bending and such to get in a car, where the bike only needs the ability to swing one leg over. But, we'll see.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  8:45 PM
quote:
I thought it was some water therapy, whatever that is..
Don't know either but for whatever reason what comes to mind is a swimming pool. I know that for certain PT, pools are used so that the weight is lessened by ones natural buoyancy.

BTW, I really appreciate the updates.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  1:20 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
They lied when they said 2 days, it was 3, and that was as early as it gets. Had my daughter bring my laptop on day 2, since there's wifi. Why don't they mention that beforehand.

Walked the very first night, but argued that wouldn't it be easier to lay on my stomach and sides rather than on where it hurts. I convinced them, but all those tubes and wires, and hoses make it hard to turn.

Home now a couple days. Hurt something awful from getting up out of a too low bed and chair. Somehow fixed that hurt trying to get off the way low toilet, which I couldn't go anyway.

Now it's just achy, which I'll take any day. The leg pain was gone, just like the Dr. said.

The hospital people were all very nice and helpful, but, each one of them said don't get up or move without calling for help. Ok, great, but everytime I did ask, they ALWAYS would be right back. They never came, so I did what I had to do.

Looking forward to doing some easy maintenance on the bike, which some are long overdue. Just not yet, soon I guess.
Go to Top of Page

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
109 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650 ADV

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  1:40 PM
Good to see your update and to hear that leg pain is gone. Sounds like that has been replaced by some other pain but hopefully this is just the temporary result of the major work. I wish you a very speedy recovery and hope to see another update letting us all know that the recovery period is over.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  11:56 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Ha, get this one....The night before going in at 6:30 AM, I get 2 official letters from my Big Crosscountry insurance telling me my surgery for spinal fusion is NOT approved, but the other letter says some delamination or something surgery is approved. What the heck can I do at that hour? I brought them with me, and the head nurse type person is also stunned. She was able to get hold of one of the surgeons that said that was old news, and my procedure is covered.

Not what I have in hand, in writing, but got to take a chance. Nice timing these letters, geeesh.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  1:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rkfire

Ha, get this one....The night before going in at 6:30 AM, I get 2 official letters from my Big Crosscountry insurance telling me my surgery for spinal fusion is NOT approved,

Nice timing these letters, geeesh.

** As for timing:
Some of these Big Companies or even MediCare use timing and deadlines to avoid paying for services when it's involving reimbursement to hospitals and such.
On another note, I'm at at an organization that nearly 2 years ago moved away from Saftey-net status yet last year, took a hit for 137 mil in uncompensated care.

Sounds like you did good,, wishing you a speedy and full recovery!

~brian
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  10:20 AM
Glad you are on the mend. You may benefit from a drink additive Miralax or similar. That surgery just put me way out of regularity. One of my other immediate side effects from surgery was around 15 pounds of fluid weight gain in a matter of 3 days. They just pumped me full of fluids. A diuretic helped me shed that weight quickly and I was a bit more comfortable as a result.

Continued good wishes.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  9:47 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
The pain drugs are often constipating too. I have issues, but, not going there...lol. I'm just eating less, since I have a surplus of winter hybernation flubber to carry me through...lol.

It didn't occur to me that months of inactivity really required very few calories to maintain.

Previously, my personal Dr. prescribed stuff, including pain medicine. I tried to point out that 40 pills at 4 a day was a 10 day supply. I stretched it to 15-18 days or so.

The hospital gave me scripts. The pain pill was 40 tabs, at up to 8 a day, that's 5 days worth. I have one left, so I've stretched them too and 1st appointment is this coming wednesday.

I don't think addiction will be an issue between the supply chain, and having to ration them...
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  7:12 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Learning now that the words "approved", "covered" etc by the insurance company doesn't necessarily mean it'll be paid for...geez.

They gave me a battery powered, magnetic field belt device supposedly to stimulate bone growth, "approved" of course. A front and rear rectangular loops, with a snap belt, a timer, and on/off button. Looks to me that it probably costs about $20-30 tops to manufacture. It cost $4900! In 12 months it will disable itself. With a new textile covering, replace the small battery, and maybe test or calibrate it, couldn't this be used again?

I start pool therapy next week, feeling better, a little more able and mobile in small increments. I swung a leg over the bike yesterday, and sat on it to get a feel for comfort and ability in position. Frankly it felt fine, and easy, compared with the very deliberate, careful, preplanning to get into my truck seat, which no matter how careful and slow is still quite a painful excersize. It's the ducking to get in, then the twisting while pulling my feet up, then using my hands to lift and slide into position. Then I've got to get out...

Which brings me back to the bike. Although I think it might not be time to take a ride just yet, I brought up the idea to the physical therapist I met the other day for "evaluation". I said my truck, or wifes car, is truly an ordeal to get into, even on bad days before surgery, the bike was easy to mount, entirely comfortable for my back, and seemingly very supportive to my back.

Her reply was quick, and NO, and went on to mention my ortho doctor had previously gone ballistic when finding out a patient was traveling to therapy by motorcycle. I tried to talk about the ergonmics of the bike vs car, but that went nowhere. I can't help but suspect there's a built in prejudice against motorcycles by many health care people, that the conversation will not happpen period.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  10:03 AM
quote:
I can't help but suspect there's a built in prejudice against motorcycles by many health care people, that the conversation will not happpen period.
I don't share their prejudice against motorcycles, or maybe I do, but I in some small way share their concern. A small tap from behind in a car is nothing but on a bike can be something. A minor spill or a save from a drop for most is nothing but a recent post back surgery individual might undo some good work. Then there is the strain that might occur should you need to back the bike up.

IMO, suck it up and cage it for at least a little while.

My .02.

Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  11:42 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I'm going to use caution, and try to be patient. In the end, I think I'm going to have to make the judgement alone as to when I get back on the bike.

I'm a big guy, driving a Ford Ranger. That thing doesn't have crumple zones and the rest of the modern safety features of a newish car. Belted in, I think crash of many kinds would not be good for my mending lower spine. I'm picturing my belted pelvis stayig stationary and my upper body getting tossed quickly, if not very far, in any number of directions.

The other thing I find is with 4 wheels, it's much harder to dodge potholes and those big bumps and dips in the road.

If I dumped my bike, I would not even attempt to raise it up. If I had to back up my bike, I would consider that to have been an error in forethought.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05