(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 GPS Mount
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rbcyber669mc
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Buffalo, New York
USA

Honda

ST1300 ABS

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  10:55 AM                       Like
Given that it is likely safest not to use a GPS at all while riding, I am interested in knowing if there is a consensus as to whether one mounting location presents more, or less, risk factors to those of us who choose to utilize a GPS (or any other gizmo gadget for that matter) while riding.

My preference is to mount my GPS in a ?heads-up? location, centered in my overall field of view, over a ?RAM? style handlebar configuration, which places the GPS off to one side.

The Farkle Mount (www.farklemount.com) is designed to provide a ?heads-up? mounting configuration, but am mainly interested in the relative safety of this design, verses other configurations.

Thanks in advance for your insights

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  11:21 AM
I agree. The best place for a GPS is where it allows a view of the road at the same time. Don't give it more than a quick glance even so. The auditory feedback it gives allows less viewing time so make sure to make the audio accessible. I use custom molded earphones to attenuate wind noise while allowing GPS instructions to come through. http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html
Lowering wind noise is important in the prevention of hearing damage. Some ear buds attenuate ambient sounds but I find them uncomfortable after a few hours, even making my ears bleed by the second day of a long trip. This shows my GPS mount above the instruments.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bDaxbY][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/bDaxbY]Glee Dash[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/13490682@N04/]Greywolf, V-Strom rider[/url], on Flickr
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  12:39 PM
This is where Touratech believes it should be on the KTM:

I have it a bit lower and to the left side on my XR650L, because that's where I had room to put it.

I don't get any sound from mine on the motorcycles, but it gives me audible directions when I use it in my car.

All I really want most of the time from my GPS is how far it is to the next turn. In the above photo it indicates that the next turn is in 21 miles, so I can ignore it for that long.

I also occasionally find it useful to help me find my way back out of the mountains when I might otherwise get lost up there - by following my own path back. In some of those cases it doesn't provide much useful information as to where I'm at, like in the below photo where the path I'm trying to follow shows in pink on the left, the roads it thinks are there are somewhere else entirely, then there's where I'm actually at, which should have showed up as a road on the map.

Go to Top of Page

rbcyber669mc
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Buffalo, New York
USA

Honda

ST1300 ABS

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  9:58 AM
Thanks for the feed back, this is great. I'm wondering how you guys got your units mounted to your bikes. I looked for months before I found the Farkle Mount (www.farklemount.com)
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  12:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rbcyber669mc

Thanks for the feed back, this is great. I'm wondering how you guys got your units mounted to your bikes.
The mount on my KTM came with the bike. It was some sort of promotion - that I didn't even know about until after purchasing it - to include the Garmin Zumo 550, a mount for the KTM, one to use on a car windshield, and almost enough parts to mount it on one more bike. You can buy all of the pieces that you need on amazon.com

That's where you should look for mounting hardware for whatever type of GPS unit you have.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  6:05 PM
A bike specific forum is your best bet for information. See http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=1493
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  6:23 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I had a gps mounted with suction cup glued to my little flyscreen, high and center. I liked that best.

Later on, I took the flyscreen off, and mounted the stalk of the mount into an unused mirror mount. It's the same height, but a little to the side. I liked the center mount better for a quick glance...distance to turn, arrow left or right, and street name.

[URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/user/rkfire/media/GPS_Bike-placement.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

rbcyber669mc
Male Starting Member
4 Posts

Buffalo, New York
USA

Honda

ST1300 ABS

Posted - 12/22/2014 :  5:48 PM
Interesting. I didn't realize some bike manufacturers were beginning to provide mount points for GPSs and such. Very Cool.

What I liked about the Farkle Mount was the way it is secured to the dash of my '98 Aspenacade. The whole thing locks onto a plate that is permanently mounted to the dash. When I don't want my GPS on the bike, for whatever reason, the Farkle Mount can be disconnected from the mounting plate and everything comes off the bike. The only thing left behind is the small oval plate, which visually blends right in.

If you need to create a mounting point for your GPS on a bike with a dash board, the Farkle Mount (www.farklemount.com) is a really slick design.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05