(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
 Carb cleaner?
Member Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Members]  

Deseret Rider
Male Advanced Member
776 Posts
[Mentor]

Helper, Utah
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  6:24 PM                       Like
I went back quite a fe pages in the maintenance section without finding any info on this. About a hundred years ago (maybe it was only 50) I could buy a 'soak' from the auto parts store which would overnight render even the worst carb parts sparkling clean---and did not harm aluminum or brass parts either.
these days I can't get that---I guess it might be outlawed as toxic or something. So has anyone found anything that will remove the sorts of stuff that forms inside of carb's left idle for a winter season? I've used Sea Foam and others to try to prevent these sludges and gums from forming but they aren't entirely successful. now I'd like to find something to soak carb parts in which will leave them sparkling clean ---as in the old days.
Members These Members provided these Answers to the Question

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  6:49 PM
Pine-Sol will do it, but don't put any rubber parts in there.

Mix up a batch that is fairly strong and soak overnight. You might have to take a toothbrush to any sections that are super greasy and soak it some more. Rinse it good when you're done and be sure to wear rubber gloves.
Go to Top of Page

Deseret Rider
Male Advanced Member
776 Posts
[Mentor]

Helper, Utah
USA

BMW

R1100RT

Posted - 03/10/2015 :  1:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Pine-Sol will do it, but don't put any rubber parts in there.

Mix up a batch that is fairly strong and soak overnight. You might have to take a toothbrush to any sections that are super greasy and soak it some more. Rinse it good when you're done and be sure to wear rubber gloves.

Thanks Scott----I'll try that.
Go to Top of Page

TonicBIA
Male Senior Member
382 Posts

Arlington, Va
USA

Triumph

Sprint ST

Posted - 03/10/2015 :  11:00 AM
The dip you are looking for is still available.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-en.../139313_0_0/

However, you can also find a used ultrasonic cleaner on craigslist if you hunt a bit. With a mix of simple green, heat and the ultrasonic it will get things sparkling in no time. You can also clean it out and use it for other things like jewelry.

It's been my go to instead of leaving a gallon of carb dip just sitting in my garage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Question Next Topic     [To Members]  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05