(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Alpinestars Airbag Suit
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

TooManyHobbies
45 Posts

Patchogue, NY
USA

BMW

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  7:01 PM                       Like
I don't know much about the current thinking on airbag suits, but someone mentioned Alpinestars has one. I checked their site and it says available in Europe, spring 2015. Here is a link to their page which contains a video advertisement. http://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air

Just wondering what you guys think of this suit.

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
109 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650 ADV

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  8:11 PM
While eating lunch today I was reading September 2015 issue of "Motorcyclist" magazine and noticed an article on page 13 about the Dainese Dlair airbag technology now being sold in America. This is a full race suit rather than just a jacket as it appears that Alpinstars is offering. The article states that the street-oriented airbag technology is on sale in Europe and evidently will be making its way to America.

On page 15 there is an article in which riders tested the latest generation Bosch ABS unit on a 2015 Ducati Multistrada. They tested the bike on wet surface and gravel and found that the bike remained upright even with heavy use of the break. Not so with the ABS switched off but fortunately the test bike was fitted with outriggers to prevent disaster. The more interesting comment was "Bending into turns at up to 35 degrees of lean and then applying massive brake pressure only resulted in the smooth, controlled arc of the turn continuing without drama."

I think the technology of the suit and the electronic stability control is a good thing. If the budget permitted I might spring for a bike with more than standard ABS.

I don't know what the Alpinestars jacket will cost, but I'm confident it is much less than one trip to an emergency room, let alone a few days in the hospital.

I look forward to more entries in this technology and decreasing prices. I don't know if I will ever get one but the more options the better.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4263 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  3:55 PM
Here is an article about Dianese's new airbag jacket.

-Dainese announces new stand-alone motorcycle airbag jacket-

"Air bags for motorcyclists have been with us for a while now ? some are triggered by wireless commands from the motorcycle and some, perhaps less reliably, by a rip-cord type arrangement that inflates the air bag as the rider parts company with the bike. Ideally, the smarts for the airbag should reside in the jacket itself, be independent of any external control system, and activate specifically in response to the forces the body of the rider is subject to. All of these elements are present in the soon-to-be released Misano 1000 D-air leather jacket from Dainese.

Completely independently operated, without the need of any sensor kit to be fitted to the motorcycle, the Misano 1000 contains the sensors, control electronics and a GPS unit in the back protector. Coupled to a patented 3D airbag with an inner micro-filament composition that helps to dispense an even inflation of 50 mm (2 in) over the entire surface of the unit, the six sensors contained in the back-protector monitor the vectors affecting the body of the rider 800 times a second. In this way, the unit precisely ascertains when to launch the air-bag system as a result of frontal impacts, high-sides, and low, tumbling slides.

Working in concert with back and chest-protectors, the Misano 1000 helps to protect the rider's collar bone, chest, and back in addition to reducing strain on the neck. An integrated ON/OFF switch is located in the closing flap of the jacket and an LED on the right sleeve indicates the status of the unit for added safety.

The Misano 1000 D-air jacket will be available in two color schemes from November this year, slated to sell at ?1499 (US$1699)."

Source: Dainese

An integrated ON/OFF switch is positioned in the closing flap of the jacket The Misano 1000 jacket will be available in two color schemes from November this year, slated to sell at ?1499 (USD $1699) The unit precisely ascertains when to launch the air-bag system as a result of frontal impacts, high-sides, and low, tumbling slides Working in concert with back and chest-protectors, the Misano 1000 helps to protect the rider's collar bone, chest, and back in addition to reducing strain on the neck

While the BMW-Alpinestars Tech-Air system has taken its design and configuration cues from world champions Marc Marquez, Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa and their experience on the race track, the Misano 1000 has taken advantage of real world, day-to-day incident data.

The name Misano 1000 is actually a reference to the fact that D-air units have deployed more than 1000 times on racing circuits and highways around the world, with data collected from each of these incidents used to hone the effectiveness of the triggering algorithms intrinsic to the brains of the system.

The article also has illustrations that can be found at the link below.

http://www.gizmag.com/dainese-d-air...04f-76713031

Edited by - gymnast on 09/16/2015 4:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
720 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  5:59 AM
Is there any evidence that the rip cord types are less reliable or is that marketing hype?

I'd think that a really complicated and well calibrated sensor would be needed to remotely trigger the bag, only in the case where the rider couldn't save it.

From the looks, the only part that goes around back is the neck ring. Is a back protector always needed?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05