(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 Time for me to stop riding
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  5:19 AM                       Like
I've reached the point in my life when I'd rather ride in the temperature controlled comfort of the car and not have to obsess about the chance of rain. It's also become a bit of a pain to back up a bike and I'm not as confident as I used to be at very low speed maneuvers. I've made it to age 70 at least. My knees tell me they are even older.

I'll still have my experiences and knowledge base to contribute so I'll still be riding the motorcycle forums. I'd have too much time on my hands otherwise.

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17282 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  7:54 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
You have been a very valuable contributor here. The members all recognize and respect your opinions and advice.

The decision to climb off the horse is hard to make - particularly exposing it to a group of active motorcyclists. But that reputation you've earned results in acceptance of that decision as appropriate for you. Thank you for sharing it and for sticking around.

I remember when I was a kid your age
Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  3:18 PM
Knowing when to hang up your spurs is good. I assess my riding skills and reflexes every time I go out and I'm my own worst critic. Thanks for your contributions. Augie
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  1:30 AM
I'm happy to see you continue in setting an excellent example of doing things for the right reasons and being committed to doing things safe.
No way should anyone let you off the hook for continuing your input, ideas and shared wisdom or experiences .... please keep paying it forward.

I've had the pleasure of a few face to face meets or rides with members of this forum and the breakfast meet you and I had here in CS that time you were on your way to the Durango area was a highlight of that summer for me. I get a bit 'wired' talking about bikes and rides but having good food at the same time ... ? I consider it an Event !

By all means, if you stop by CS, let me know you are coming this way by car, truck, planes and trains .. .. or the new hoverboard.

Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  5:42 AM
My decision may have had some motivation from a new car I bought in January. It's a Subaru XV Crosstrek top of the line model with Eyesight. It's the first time in my life I've looked forward to going someplace in a car.
Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:00 AM
My daughter has a Subaru Crosstrek and really likes it. Good to hear that you found out about them. Still riding, different horse. Augie
Go to Top of Page

SteveS1
Male New Member
12 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK Limited

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

I've reached the point in my life when I'd rather ride in the temperature controlled comfort of the car and not have to obsess about the chance of rain. It's also become a bit of a pain to back up a bike and I'm not as confident as I used to be at very low speed maneuvers. I've made it to age 70 at least. My knees tell me they are even older.

I'll still have my experiences and knowledge base to contribute so I'll still be riding the motorcycle forums. I'd have too much time on my hands otherwise.

You continue to be a wise and a great asset to my safer riding.

I'm currently 5 days into a three week in Quebec Province tour. Don't know how many of these I have left but I hope to stop two-wheeling with some of the style and smarts you represent.

Enjoy your new passion.

Edited by - SteveS1 on 08/11/2015 4:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  10:17 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Congrats on knowing your limits...but, just because your body isn't able to handle the two-wheeled life any more doesn't mean you have to give it up altogether. Have you looked into the Spyder or a Trike? A riding buddy of mine sold his ElectraGlide and bought a Spyder after having open heart surgery and not being able to balance the weight of the bike any more. He loves the comfort and ergonomics of the Can-Am and says he should have gone to three wheels about 15 years earlier.

Either way, enjoy your new Subaru and please keep sharing your knowledge with the members here.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  10:22 AM
Being out in the weather is one of the things I reasons I'm giving up the bike.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/11/2015 :  1:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

Being out in the weather is one of the things I reasons I'm giving up the bike.

...And I'm sure by no coincidence, your Subaru is perfect in any kind of weather! There are so many on the road here in CO, I suspect some might buy one just to blend in.
Go to Top of Page

Texasphotographer
Male Advanced Member
896 Posts
[Mentor]

Copperas Cove, Texas
USA

Honda

2006 GL1800 Trike

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  6:13 PM
I am nearly 77. About five years I started riding a Goldwing trike. A riding buddy is a woman who has been riding since she was 6. She is 51 now. I felt my macho was being threatened so I borrowed a friends two-wheeler. I could not keep up and was frightened to try. I gave it a shot, but happily returned to my trike which has 80,000 safe miles. I put 68,000 miles on it with no incidents.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05