(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Cool helmet
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  11:54 AM                       Like
Looks like my area is coming out of it's Texas winter (4 "heat waves"). In this area we define a heat wave as 3 consecutive days of temperatures of 90F or higher. We've had more than a few high 80 degree days to accompany them.

NYC I had read averages 83F in the summer. I personally don't ride when the temperature is above 85F. I'm not a heat lover, and given the nature of NYC traffic, finding myself in 5 - 10 mph traffic is just not worth it to me. I get home cranky and bathed in perspiration (in my family we don't sweat, we perspire).

I currently switch back and forth between a full face and a modular helmet with the vents fully open and the face shield open unless at speed on a highway or parkway. I do keep the built in sun visors down and wear eyeglasses. Despite this when I remove the helmet the top of my head is soaked. This indicates to me that the padding is nice and snug but that the venting could be better.

It is new helmet time for me and I was wondering if any members have found full face and modular helmets that have really good top of head air flow.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  2:43 PM
My Shoei helmets - RF-1000 and RF-1100 - have good top of the head air flow. I would have to assume the RF-1200 would also be good for that.

The older Shoei helmets - RF-700, RF-800 - were not as good for that type of air flow.
Go to Top of Page

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
110 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650 ADV

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  3:01 PM
I have a Shoei RF-1100 and feel that with all vents open (top and chin) there is good air flow. I try and avoid riding in traffic as much as possible but in hot weather and traffic I will crack the shield a notch and that helps get some extra ventilation. I find it to be a comfortable helmet and reasonably cool. Helmet color is white.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  7:15 PM
I would not buy boots or helmets from the internet because for me those are 2 items that I have to try on. I do however window shop to get an idea of price and to read reviews.

The only Shoei RF-1100's remaining that I have found, on the internet, are the odd sizes (XL, XS). I'll make a point of trying to determine the difference between the 1100 and 1200 since I would want my helmet to be recently manufactured.

Go to Top of Page

florabuerger
Female Starting Member
2 Posts

Fredericksburg, VA
USA

Kawasaki

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  6:35 AM
I have been using both Shoei and Icon helmets and I feel that they both have great ventilation. I bought both of them online from this website http://www.clandesmotards.net which is reputed motorcycle dealer. I always make sure to get all my motorcycle accessories from reputed stores as then I don't have to worry about the quality.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  8:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by florabuerger

I always make sure to get all my motorcycle accessories from reputable stores as then I don't have to worry about the quality.

Fixed that for you.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  8:57 AM
Shoei or Arai Full face coverage helmets are the "gold standard". If you cannot get a good fit in one you usually can in the other. The newest models of either brand provide exceptional ventilation.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:02 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I have a different take...

I too will have a head full of wet hair when taking off my helmet on hot days. When I wear my cooling vest, I find my hair is dry after a ride in the same temperatures.

(5-10 mph riding has to be a challenge though, for either a well ventilated helmet, or a cooling vest, unless the vest is freshly soaked in cold water)
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  5:02 AM
quote:
I too will have a head full of wet hair
That ship sailed many years ago.

Hopefully this weekend I'll begin my search at some brick and mortar stores, where I can walk around wearing them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05