(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 The Benefits & Drawbacks of Sunshades
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  12:28 PM                       Like
I recently bought a new Fulmer modular helmet, an M2B with an iShade (Fulmer Trade Name) for the flip down sun visor. I'm very happy with the helmet overall but, now realize there is another safety aspect to riding into bright low sun. The iShade does a very good job of reducing the light entering your eyes because it is very dark but, the unintended consequence is that, you cannot distinguish items in the shadows very well. This is particularly concerning if trees and shrubs are growing close to the road especially at the end of a driveway. A car, bike, person or animal can lurk there in the shadows ready to enter you path of travel and with the sunshade in use, be almost invisible.

If I must ride into a low sun, I slow down quite a bit because of this problem. It seems that there are always pros and cons to every situation.

Edited by - commonground on 09/19/2015 7:01 PM

JanK
Male Junior Member
76 Posts

Ljubljana, Ljubljana
Slovenia

BMW

F650CS

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  12:09 PM
There's another way of using the sun visor, assuming it stays in any position and not only fully up or fully down.

Lower it only partly and use it as you would use a sun visor in a car: to block the sun while leaving the road "in the clear". This does mean that you have to keep your head more still than you might usually do, but it works quite well until the sun is just above the road.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1695 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  12:22 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I too just bought a modular helmet. The tinted push button visor isn't very dark though. I've always put 2 strips of electric tape at the top of my visors to block the sun. It doesn't interefere with vision, and a little dip of my head blocks that low sun.
Go to Top of Page

florabuerger
Female Starting Member
2 Posts

Fredericksburg, VA
USA

Kawasaki

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  3:24 AM
That is quite a common problem with modular helmets I guess. I recently purchased one and am facing a similar situation.
Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  4:15 AM
My older modular helmet had a smoked visor and it is not as dark so, I alternate. If I know I am riding into a setting sun I use the one with the flip down sun visor (new one) but, for general daytime use I use the one without.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05