(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Contrary Opinions
 U-turns Video from Japan
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  9:44 AM                       Like
I found this a bit confusing. What do others think of this method?

https://youtu.be/8ZFdxEWpefI

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  12:10 PM
Body weight shifting is slower and less precise than counter steering. It's easier and more natural to get the bike to go where the rider is looking. Sure, weight shift steering and not turning the head where you want to go is possible, but it isn't optimal and gets even harder at higher speeds.
Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 12/26/2015 :  4:45 AM
It was fun to watch but, I wasn't impressed. I wouldn't offer it up to someone as a good video. I didn't take much away from it.

When taking a safety class I asked, "why the "Turns in the box" weren't weighted as heavily as some of the other exercises." The answer was, "At low speeds you are more likely to suffer more from embarrassment than from physical injury."

I still practice low speed turns but, they have a lower priority.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1208 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  8:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by commonground

It was fun to watch but, I wasn't impressed. I wouldn't offer it up to someone as a good video. I didn't take much away from it.

When taking a safety class I asked, "why the "Turns in the box" weren't weighted as heavily as some of the other exercises." The answer was, "At low speeds you are more likely to suffer more from embarrassment than from physical injury."

What are you saying is/are higher priorities? FMI.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  6:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SteveS

quote:
Originally posted by commonground

What are you saying is/are higher priorities? FMI.

Thanks

Nothing in learning the skills for safe riding should be considered a low priority. Some should be considered higher than others just as the MSF does. The higher risk activities should, as with anything else, demand a higher priority. There are far too many higher risk activities to list them all. Here are a couple: Negotiating an emergency stop from highway speed safely, negotiating a tight blind curve safely, .................................
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 4.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05