(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Braking while driving downhilll
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

skirby
Male Starting Member
1 Posts

Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai
Thailand

Honda

Phantom

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  10:28 PM                       Like
After 30+ years of riding a motorcycle over here in Asia, I just wanted to share a hard lesson learned for others like me. On my very first day of riding, 30+ years ago, I was forced onto gravel - at a fortunately slow speed - and to brake when a biker pulled out in front of me. I instinctively grabbed the front brake lever, and immediately went down, causing a bad scrape on my arm. After that I became quite leery of using the front brake, and have used the rear pedal brake almost exclusively. Unfortunately, two weeks ago I was riding downhill on a long, narrow mountain road in rural Thailand, all the while unconsciously riding the rear brake. When a very steep section suddenly appeared, with a sharp curve ahead, I suddenly realised that my rear brake was totally "gone".

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  8:12 AM
Practice braking. It may be your most important developed skill. http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/braking/#grip
You've already experienced to folly of riding the brake.

The front brake is vital on pavement as it provides anywhere from 70% to 100% of braking power depending on conditions. Your gravel experience might have been unsavable once you were on it. Both situations needed to be avoided earlier in the process. Good braking technique to get out of the position where you could be forced off the road in the first case was one possibility. The second situation was all rider error.
Go to Top of Page

wmcooper
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

perry, ga
USA

Honda

shadow aero

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  7:20 PM
In that article where it talks about braking in a turn or corner it says to push the bike into the corner with your outside knee. I don't think that's good advice.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  8:21 AM
I have a couple of issues with the article. Using the rear brake first is another. By and large though, it will improve the average rider's chances.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  3:34 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Practice braking for sure, and using both brakes. That "instinctively" grabbing the front brake, will be replaced with "instinctively" applying the brakes in a manner consistent with available traction.

On a long downhill, use lower gears to maintain speed. The engine braking helps a lot, with short braking periods if engine braking is not sufficient.

I'd suggest the Safety Tips here (the pink button), especially braking tips.

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=2
Go to Top of Page

Horse
263 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  1:21 AM
Train yourself that if you grab the front brake - possible as a panic action however skilled you are - then your next action is to release the lever and reapply, this time as a squeeze.

Use the 'firm handshake' as a guide!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05