(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Rider Training Courses
 What does the HD Rider's Edge class now use?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  9:45 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
In 2009 the end of the Buell Blast was announced. In 2010 Harley-Davidson said that they were building a replacement bike to be used in their Rider's Edge classes.

Did that ever happen? What motorcycle is now used in the Rider's Edge classes? Are any of the old Buell Blasts still being used?

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  4:46 PM
Just a guess...

On the Harley Davidson Rider's Edge web site it has some questions and answers:
  • What bike will I ride?
  • For the riding portion, the H-D dealer will provide you with a Harley-Davidson motorcycle suited for the course.

I'm thinking the only appropriate bike would be the Street 500.
Go to Top of Page

CaptCrash
Male Advanced Member
744 Posts
[Mentor]

Nampa, ID
USA

Honda

Phantom

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  7:42 PM
HD Street 500s.

Check out the crash bars:

Go to Top of Page

commonground
Male Standard Member
155 Posts

Windsor, PA
USA

Yamaha

V Star 1300

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  6:38 PM
Also notice the extended handle bars. They make it harder to break the levers off when laid over. A 500 may still be a bit big for some beginners. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Horse
263 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  1:15 AM

And at the rear, too!
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  6:00 AM
I guess they never go fast enough to worry about bending a bar around a leg.
Go to Top of Page

Horse
263 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  6:18 AM
https://rideapart.com/articles/2014...t-500-review

H-D has also made some tweaks to the Street?s ECU, reflashing it so a trainer can alter the fueling parameters. With that modification, the bike is restricted to 18 mph in 1st gear and 25 mph in 2nd. I rode with that training ECU flash in place, so my perspective on the gearing and fueling for 1st and 2nd gear would not relate well to the production version. The training version also comes with a kit that is able to determine if has been dropped, automatically killing the engine when that occurs.

But . . .

RA: What was your initial impression of the apparent build quality? It looks pretty ropey in the live photos from EICMA.

Braden: The best word to describe the build quality on this ?99 percent production? model would have to be, ?uneven.? During my time on it, I noticed a small oil leak, a coolant leak and a gas leak, all while tipped over for the protective equipment demo.

The switchbox plastic seemed of better quality than most bikes I?ve ridden, including my Ducati and Moto Guzzi. That quality continues through to any component on the Street 500 that you touch with your hands or feet; it all has a nice, hefty feel to it and is almost always made from substantial rubber or steel.

Little things, like the fork gaiters, however, looked incredibly cheap and insufficient as actual protection. The fasteners, cables, bodywork, speedometer and various panels were obviously built to cost. Surprising when you consider similar components on the Honda CBR250R ? which costs two grand less ? seem appreciably better in fit and finish.

There is also an unusually high amount of exposed wiring bundles apparent even just standing next to the bike.

The seat looked lumpy and the stitching sloppy, as if a friend of yours was kind enough to reform it for you, but didn?t really know what he was doing.

For a bike from a brand so proud of its uses of metal components for things like fenders, the Street 500 sports a surprising amount of chintzy plastic.

The needless repetition of logos is something that all brands are guilty of ? something in particular effect on my Guzzi ? but the Street 500 takes that to a whole new level. It looks as if someone handed a fiver-year old a stamp with the bar and shield on it, then turned them loose on the bike. The Harley logo is on literally everything.

Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  6:32 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by scottrnelson

Just a guess...

On the Harley Davidson Rider's Edge web site it has some questions and answers:
  • What bike will I ride?
  • For the riding portion, the H-D dealer will provide you with a Harley-Davidson motorcycle suited for the course.

I'm thinking the only appropriate bike would be the Street 500.

There were a couple of parts to my post. Thank you all for your responses.

Clearly its been a couple of years since I audited a RE class. I know for sure that the Buell Blast was still being used as late as 2012 in some locations.

I thought HD had some problems getting the Street 500 produced.

A continuation of the HD effort to change their rider demographic, it's not a surprise to see women RIDERS being used in their promotion pictures.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  8:01 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

I guess they never go fast enough to worry about bending a bar around a leg.

For those of you who might think that is a bit of exaggeration, consider this picture of a Harley-Davidson after it collided with the front passenger side quarter panel and bumper of a car:

Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  11:06 AM
Found this Promo video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4B9Iraqkw
Go to Top of Page

wmcooper
Male Junior Member
33 Posts

perry, ga
USA

Honda

shadow aero

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  12:28 PM
so is it not good to have crash bars or highway bars whatever you call them? If I have them on my bike would it be a good idea to take them off?
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  1:13 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
My opinion is that if they are already on the bike, leave them on. They provide MODEST structural strength enhancement and DO tend to protect your engine heads from damage if you should drop your bike.

They are dangerous to your legs in SOME kinds of collisions, not all.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  5:46 AM
It depends on the design. Ones that stick far out like those in the pictures and are pretty much two dimensional can get bent back in high speed collisions if they hit a large object just right. Having a small vertical dimension like those pictured also contributes the the ease of bending the entire unit back. The bars pictured above are great for low speed protection with no cars around but I would dislike to see a runaway bike run into a light pole just right.

Engine guards or crash bars like these designed to protect the bike are no problem.

Ironically, it's the ones like these that purport leg protection that are most dangerous to the legs.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05