(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Motorcycle Accident Reports - WITH COMMENTS
 Consequences
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gymnast
4263 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  9:15 AM                       Like
Some times a tragedy can be summarized in a single word.

Definition of consequence

: a conclusion derived through logic : inference

: something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions

a : importance with respect to power to produce an effect b : social importance

: the appearance of importance; especially : self-importance

in consequence

: as a result

BOISE -- A man prosecutors say was high on methamphetamine when he crashed his motorcycle last year has pleaded guilty in the death of his passenger.

Wesley Austin Swann, 22, admitted to felony vehicular manslaughter Wednesday. An additional charge of possession of drug paraphernalia was dropped.

draft

Wesley A. Swann (Photo: Ada County Sheriff's Office)

The collision that killed 21-year-old Josyln Johnson happened the morning of Sept. 2, 2015 on Lake Hazel Road and Star Struck Avenue. Swann was riding the motorcycle east when he lost control on a curve and went off the road, slamming into a tree.

MORE: Woman killed in motorcycle crash on Lake Hazel Road

Johnson, who was riding on the back of the motorcycle, was ejected and landed in a pile of rocks. Although she was wearing a helmet, she died at the scene.

Swann was hospitalized after the crash. He was charged in June.

Sentencing is set for Feb. 8. Swann could face up to 15 years in prison.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/crime/bois...th/375185270

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17282 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  4:57 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Yep, seen a great deal of that kind of thing in recent months.

Disturbingly I've found that the attorneys working these civil cases are becoming almost as illiterate as their clients when it comes to motorcycle operations and even everyday 'physics'.

I've had attorneys in deposition ask what distance was being maintained between bikes in a group formation and when told 'about 1 second', or 2 seconds between bikes in the same track' ask what does that mean? In terms that we can all understand ... you know, like how many car lengths is that? Or relative to a football field, can you tell me how many yards that is?

And if you think the attorneys are wildly uninformed, consider that when asked why they maintain those following distances, three people being deposed out of the last five I'm aware of said "to discourage cars from entering between the bikes".

Finally, of the last three cases I've worked, ALL THREE had the rider who had crashed claim that he 'laid it down to avoid a collision'.

We've been telling it like it is here for over twenty years! I guess we need to start repeating ourselves.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17282 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  6:06 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
For those of you who might need a quick refresher ...

A bike travelling at 60 MPH moves 88 feet in one second.
(Thus, a one second following distance at 60 MPH is 88 feet.)

A bike decelerating at 1g is reducing speed by 32.2 feet per second per second. Because we all live in a simpler world than that, it is easier to understand if you realize that 32.2 ft/sec/sec is 22 MPH/sec.
(Thus, a bike travelling at 60 MPH will be totally stopped in LESS THAN three seconds with a deceleration rate of 1 g.)

A two second following distance (between bikes in the same track) exists to give riders REACTION TIME.

Since it takes a rider about 1.3 seconds to perceive and react to an unexpected threat, if the bike ahead jams on his brakes, for example, when you do the same you have done so earlier in your path of travel than when he did so - so you cannot run into him! As to bikes that are not in the same track, you can swerve around them as you react and not hit them either despite having half as much following distance.

As to laying it down in order to avoid a collision ... nonsense! To crash in order not to crash makes no sense whatever. Let your helmet save face for you. If you lock your brakes (and leave them locked), almost certainly you will crash. And even if you don't, a skidding tire produces less deceleration than does a rolling tire with brakes applied properly.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  1:37 AM
Good points and a good refresher indeed. That's one of my favorite items burned into my memory chip.
I've long ago committed that 60/88 memory and found it to be a great general interest stat to break the ice.

A hiking buddy (John) is a retired business owner and has a comfortable lifestyle and discretionary spending funds. At 66 y/o or so, he has flirted with the idea of getting a Harley although I'm pretty sure he won't as his wife raises some heck about any of his conversations. I think he likes the idea of wanting one without the need of actually getting one. Of course, we all know that can change.

Anyways, I've done my best whenever he brings up motorcycle topics or questions and my theme is less about talking someone into getting into the sport, more about why one shouldn't UNLESS they take it seriously enough to school themselves, are in no hurry to advance through the process by short-cutting their research or training and so forth.

To me, the 60 mph / 88 fps helps me link it to things that a new to motorcycling interested fan may not have ever known or thought about. Linked with an explanation of PDR and all that it encompasses, (threats, position, surrounding traffic, exit path, timing and skills or lack of experience etc...) I find it can be enough of an overwhelming scene painted in the minds eye that the conversation we hikers have about motorcycling sometimes goes back to politics or the weather. He genuinely seems to appreciate the tough love concept though and values the respect for safety and not just glorifying the "wind in the hair" image. In fact, just now I'm thinking that at some point in our lives, age or maturity, many of us must embrace others experience or opinions with some value and integrity versus that cliche of the 17 year olds that already know it all.

Still, I'd like to think he or anyone wishing to pursue it seriously, knows I can be a bit of a resource to steer them to some helpful information, even if it's the stuff they can peruse to decide for themselves if it's something to pursue.

I truly think FARS information has shaped my own risk management in a positive way while still giving me a healthy respect for some worse case realities. I'd likely present that link for others to get familiar with some of that information, yet explain that I'm not forwarding that source as a tactic to scare them off, just a dose of reality and to see that even when some do everything right, things can still get messy.
Of course, this site here is such a well-rounded source of information on everything motorcycle and safety centered, it would be the natural landing spot, recommended resource as well as a good companion with stats that might leave researchers feeling a bit too clinical.

Edited by - bachman1961 on 12/24/2016 1:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Horse
263 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  3:39 AM
A short 'lesson ' I used to use was to talk about reaction time, then take the trainee to look at a row of cars parked nose-to-tail at the roadside.

Judging distance isn't easy, so I used a rough guide of 1 car = 15 feet.

So look along the row of cars. "If you're here, travelling at 60mph, and something happens ahead, where's the earliest point you're able to do anything?"

etc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05