(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3487 positive of 3869 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 VooDoo Poll
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:16 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
OK, thought I'd get in on the fun. I was riding yesterday, and the chiming of my Guardian Bell -bought for me by a loved one http://www.americancyclemart.com/20...guardian.htm
was chiming so I wondered:

What kind of NON SCIENTIFIC safety practice(s) do you do/use?

Results:
Prayer   [35%] 32 votes 
Guardian Bell or other Biker specific, commercially available charm   [21%] 19 votes 
Rabbit's foot   [0%] 0 votes 
Tassels (yes, they are a charm)   [1%] 1 votes 
"Lucky" article of clothing   [3%] 3 votes 
Religious amulet   [9%] 8 votes 
Ritual (like always only walking around the bike to the left, or ect)   [7%] 6 votes 
Unshakable trust in the Divine   [20%] 18 votes 
None, I trust only my skill and gear   [48%] 44 votes 
= Guests (34 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 91 »»   Last Vote: 01/06/2006 8:35 PM 

Edited by - kiddal on 10/11/2005 4:26 PM

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  11:14 AM
I'm not an overtly religious person, but every now and again I ask God for a little extra attention - His and mine - to make a safe ride. And though it sounds nuts, as I ride, I'm often conscious of, and thankful for how much I've been given.

TT
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:34 PM
Kiddal, I'm seeing that you posted a reply at 4:36, but I don't see the post. Whahappen?

TT
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  7:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Thom Thumb

Kiddal, I'm seeing that you posted a reply at 4:36, but I don't see the post. Whahappen?

I edited the poll text to fix the URL.
Go to Top of Page

Gs82Seca650
Male Advanced Member
1990 Posts
[Mentor]

Southern, PA
USA

Yamaha

1982 XJ 650 R Seca

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  1:12 PM
Hey Tom,

That dosen't sound crazy to me at all. I am a religious person. Not overly so, but I do have strong faith and trust in the lord. I also think about how lucky I am for all I have been blessed with in life at times when I am riding.
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  1:26 PM
I checked the poll last night and as of late last night, skill and safety gear had a slight edge over Voodoo. Now Voodoo has a significant lead over skill and gear.

Maybe that explains why I see so many people riding without helmets. Get a little bell and hang it on your bike and you too can ride without a helmet!!
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  1:30 PM
Well.... Thats really not what I was going for, but its an interesting point. I'd be more inclined to believe it though if the non-armor wearing folks argued for divine intervention over "freedom"

Tom, I agree with Gs82Seca650... not crazy at all. Thanks for contributing everybody!
^o^
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1204 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:41 PM
I chose tassles as I have some on the bars even though I didn't purchase them for 'luck'.

I trust my skills and gear mostly and will envoke a higher power from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

River
Male Advanced Member
506 Posts
[Mentor]

Chippewa Falls, WI
USA

Kawasaki

Concours

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  3:03 PM
Hmmm. Tassels... I have learned through my folklore & anthropology studies that tassels were supposed to entrap and confuse the sorts of minor demons and goblins that cause ill-luck, which is why I included them.
I'd been considering some for a little while now- I like the way they look, too.
^o^
Go to Top of Page

Axeman1958
Male Senior Member
276 Posts

Hempstead, NY
USA

Harley-Davidson

Electra Glide U.C.

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  6:08 AM
Don't remember if I ever posted this but, everytime I take my bike out a single yellow jack shows up out of nowhere. This has happened at my house, where I practiced riding before I got my license, the first time my bike broke down, etc. No matter what the weather or the season, this yellow jack always shows up if I'm on my bike. The day I took my road test, just when I got ready to mount the bike at the test site, it was sitting on my dashboard. My sister and I always joke about it being my mother watching over me from beyond. If it's Mom or not, nobody swats at that yellow jack when it comes around.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1204 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  9:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by River

Hmmm. Tassels... I have learned through my folklore & anthropology studies that tassels were supposed to entrap and confuse the sorts of minor demons and goblins that cause ill-luck, which is why I included them.
I'd been considering some for a little while now- I like the way they look, too.
^o^

Me too. And River, they are yet another means of drawing attention from cagers to say "hey I'm here, share the road nicely please"
Go to Top of Page

pmulldoon
17 Posts

Langley, British Columbia
Canada

Honda

GL1800 & GL1100

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:33 PM
I've read of accidents where well trained and experienced riders with excellent gear get run down and killed by a negligent cager.

I sometimes wonder if we get old more by good luck rather than good management.

So far my luck seems to have held...

patrick
Go to Top of Page

kiddal
Male Advanced Member
1561 Posts
[Mentor]

SE, Indiana
USA

Kawasaki

KLR650

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pmulldoon

I sometimes wonder if we get old more by good luck rather than good management.
Both. It's all about improving your odds. The difference between a 51% bet and a 49% bet (assuming 1:1 odds) is not 2%. It's the difference between being rich and being poor.

quote:
Originally posted by pmulldoon

So far my luck seems to have held...
Lucky people are over-represented on this board.

Go to Top of Page

jerrysad
36 Posts

Wichita, KS
USA

Yamaha

XJ550 Maxim

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:43 PM
I've never considered myself supersticious, but I've found that using wire tie-wraps to secure my kids' cat to the front forks, just above the fender, ALWAYS results in a pleasurable riding experience.
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:12 PM
There are two kinds of luck. Good luck and bad luck.

But what really is luck.

It's those things that happen that are beyond your control. But often things that happen, that people call luck, are really events that turn out a certain way because you were prepared to deal with them. You have the ability to prepare yourself for many unexpected events that can occur on the roadway when you are riding a motorcycle and you can make your own luck. Just don't go out riding with the assumption that no matter what you do, fate is going to control what happens to you. You may not be able to control or predict what other people on the road are going to do, but you can certainly control what you do and how you will react to prevent others actions from affecting you.

Go out and make good luck happen every day.
Go to Top of Page

don_hud
Advanced Member
1077 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Yamaha

1997 Virago XV1100

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  11:35 AM
quote:
I've never considered myself supersticious, but I've found that using wire tie-wraps to secure my kids' cat to the front forks, just above the fender, ALWAYS results in a pleasurable riding experience.

Does the cat enjoy it as much as you do? Never seen a cat riding a motorcycle before. Maybe it's results in a better experience if the cat has been de-clawed first.
Go to Top of Page

Lithorien
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

Bremerton, Washington
USA

Honda

Rebel 250 (CMX)

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  11:30 PM
I'm not religious at all, and as such don't believe that anything other than skill and a thought pattern trained on safety will keep me safe on the roads.

Just my 2c, however. Your mileage may vary.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:11 AM
quote:
Maybe that explains why I see so many people riding without helmets. Get a little bell and hang it on your bike and you too can ride without a helmet!!

I wear a helmet, Thumper wears a bell, recieved as a gift from a loved one. And I have been known to ask God for a little "divine direction".

Hopefully there is no conflict

Don re:
quote:
But what really is luck.

Luck is when you win the lottery. Skill is when the bike clears the cager. IMHO, Divine intervention is the frozen pebbles in the road that allow you to get back on track instead of dying. OK, perhaps combined with a bit of skill...

Edited by - Niebor on 12/04/2005 9:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05