(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Motorcycle Endorsement
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jerry Godell
Male Senior Member
441 Posts

Kansas City, kansas
USA

Harley-Davidson

FXD SuperGlide

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  1:39 PM
Thanks for the input.
The new report from the NHTSB lists 2004 as 25% improperly licensed. A good increase in properly licensed operators. A lot of that is due to the MSF I believe.

Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  4:46 PM
Here (at least the Ontario part of Canada) they have introduced progressive licensing for Motorcyclists

I.E. I believe it is G-1 = no pillion riders, night riding, 400 series highway riding and nooooo alcohol (not a good thing to have anyway when riding)

Then G-2 which enables 400 series highway but keeps the other restrictions

I think then that A "GM" or general Motorcycle license goes into effect however that process takes 24 months

They have left a "loophole" (which I don't think is wise) of "grandfather rights" for guys like me who took their GM licences years ago when it was one jump to full certification and then did not ride for years and re-entered. The MSF course does a lot to compensate but I sometimes think the other progressive restrictions removal should have been put in place for my re-entry group of riders. (lets face it, as we age? our reflexes slow down for sure)

I don't ride at night, take pillion riders, drink and ride or take the major highways but I am sure there are some who do. Surely the same rules should apply as technically I am a "new rider" albeit "re-entry". Sorry if wordy but thought provoking for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
741 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  5:37 PM
Hmmm... So as a re-entry rider I can't leave the bar at midnight with the ol' lady on the back and ride the freeway home? Geez, I might as well quit riding all together!

(Just kidding... LOL)
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  4:36 PM
LOL Mikeydude

I read your insightful posts and you don't strike me as the kind of rider that would do that anyway (well maybe when we were all 16 and "superman") just a thought after I read that an older rider was injured or killed
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
741 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  6:22 PM
Nawww... I don't. I don't use intoxicants at all anymore, and I haven't put enough miles on for the lil woman to pile on yet (tho she's really nagging me about it).

I'll be taking a night ride tonight so I can meet some riders in my area. They have a local "bike night" and I seldom get the chance to ride with others, so I'm looking forward to meeting some in my neck o the woods. Fortnately it's only about 20 miles on the freeway, and I know the roads really well.
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  6:45 PM
Go safe my friend and ride well
Go to Top of Page

Mikeydude
Male Advanced Member
741 Posts
[Mentor]

Ft. Worth, Texas
USA

Harley-Davidson

03 FXD Super Glide

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:27 PM
Well... that was interesting... I was the ONLY cruiser owner there. Stuck out like a sore thumb... The ride was cool. No issues, no troubles. I live to ride another day!
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  6:32 PM
What? Mikeydude? I don't own a cruiser? acccch I have been taken again LOL
Go to Top of Page

biggunbob
Male Standard Member
139 Posts

parma, OH
USA

Harley-Davidson

electraglide classic

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  5:18 PM
Took the MSF course and paid for my endorsement a year before getting a bike and riding. It's the law and the responsible thing to do(don't forget insurance). Ride safe.
Go to Top of Page

gsxrbamf1988
Male Starting Member
1 Posts

Conroe, Texas
USA

Suzuki

gsx-r1000

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  1:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeydude

In Texas a permit is different than an endorsement... And technically I don't have an endorsement on mine. I have a class CM, but there are no endorsements listed on the back.

Hey Mikeydude, my name is matt and I hav been riding for six years, on sportbikes mostly stunting. Im from TX and was wandering if I absolutley have to take an MSF course to get my permit or liscense. Im 21 and have never taken the course or had an M endorsment. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
841 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  4:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gsxrbamf1988

quote:

In Texas a permit is different than an endorsement... And technically I don't have an endorsement on mine. I have a class CM, but there are no endorsements listed on the back.

Hey Mikeydude, my name is matt and I hav been riding for six years, on sportbikes mostly stunting. Im from TX and was wandering if I absolutley have to take an MSF course to get my permit or liscense. Im 21 and have never taken the course or had an M endorsment. Thanks

GSXR:

You should be able to find more information here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/admini...htm#mcyc_lic

It looks like at your age you must take and pass the written test. If you pass a BRC the riding test may be waived. If you choose not to take and pass a class then you will be required to also pass a riding test.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

shadowrider
Male Advanced Member
602 Posts
[Mentor]

Phoenix, Arizona
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLT Tour Glide

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  9:32 AM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mark700

What about insurance? Can you insure a bike without proving that you can legally ride it?

In Texas you can. I bought my scoot, and had it insured well before I got my license. The question then became would the insurance cover me if I crashed.

When I lived in the midwest you could get a bike licensed and insured without having an endorsement. I knew of 2 people that did this. They were never even asked about it, and I doubt it was checked. Funny though, I never gave a thought as to what the end result would be in dealing with insurance companies after an unfortunate event...
Go to Top of Page

astrangelove
Female Starting Member
1 Posts

Hutto, TX
USA

Honda

Gold Wing GL1500

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  7:46 AM
Progressive asks whether or not you have an endorsement on their online quote page. GEICO does not. If you want to know if you will be covered without the endorsement. I would only guess you would definitely not be with GEICO and should be with Progressive.

I do own my motorcycle and do not have an endorsement. In Texas I have to have insurance on any vehicle I own to get registration or an endorsement, so I get to pay the higher no endorsement rate in order to *get* the endorsement unless I'm missing something. Though perhaps I could insure with GEICO who doesn't ask and pray that I don't get in an accident while riding to get my vehicle inspected. I think it's safest to go ahead and use the one that asks...

I will be taking a class this month and getting my endorsement, I want to be safe and legal. (I'm not the governator and don't expect amnesty should I ever be stopped. )

--airy the dangergrrl
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  11:05 AM
Right before I bought my bike I went and took the written test and received a permit. In PA a permit is required in order to take the MSF-BRC. I bought the bike and had it insured well before getting my "M" endorsement. My insurance Co. (Progressive) asked for a DL number as well as whether you had A) No legal authorization to ride a motorcycle, B) A learner's Permit for a Motorcycle or C) An "M" endorsement on your licence. They also asked if you had completed a Safety course.

Once I passed the MSF-BRC and had my license signed off I called Progressive and let them know I now had an "M" endorsement and had passed the MSF-BRC. My rate was reduced by 15% as a result of the "M" endorsement and passing the BRC.

I would think that the rate for someone with NO "M" endorsement OR Permit would be much higher. I am also not sure if legally they would have to pay a claim if you were driving illegally when an incident occurred.
Go to Top of Page

Cash Anthony
Female Administrator
1466 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

Magna 750

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  5:27 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Airy wrote
quote:
perhaps I could insure with GEICO who doesn't ask and pray that I don't get in an accident while riding to get my vehicle inspected.
OR--you could ask a licensed, insured rider to take the bike to the inspection station for you.

Their company will probably cover him, as insurance tends to go with the driver if you're already insuring your own bike or car.

Cash
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05