(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Would you pass these vehicles?
Next Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100
Peer Review: 1

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:00 PM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:

Okay, up front I'll state that the idea for this discussion originated with someone else. I did take the picture, however, from a camera affixed to my handlebars with a RAM mount. Most people who've expressed opinions so far have said they'd definitely pass in this situation IF there were no vehicles visible in the oncoming lane. In other words, take the oncoming vehicle out of the equation (also remove the factor of the possible presence of LEO's.) Would you pass the trailers in this situation? Why/Why not?

Additional data to consider:

1. There are numerous turnouts in this area of the highway.
2. The photo was taken at the widest angle possible for the lens on my digital camera, and the distance from the leading trailer-pulling vehicle to the point where the road disappears around the bend is less than it appears in the photo.

Results:
Yes, I would pass (reasons to follow.)   [3%] 2 votes 
No, I would not pass (reasons to follow.)   [84%] 53 votes 
It would depend on additional variables (description to follow.)   [13%] 8 votes 
= Guests (17 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 63 counted  »»   Last Vote: 07/08/2008 7:50 PM 

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:09 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
No!

Illegal - double yellow.

Poor sight line - cannot tell how close the second trailer is to the first one.

Upcoming blind curve.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:31 PM
No, 1.Crossing that double line is a prima fascia violation.
2.Really bad sight lines and distances.
3.Why place your safety in the hands of someone else? If you as the
rider are willing to make a bad decision, what makes you think
that someone else in the immediate vicinity is not equally
foolish and just waiting to for a chance to collect you?

Edited by - gymnast on 07/07/2008 10:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

sixsigma
Male Advanced Member
801 Posts

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

Marauder vz 805

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:47 PM
Not a chance

Double yellow line is there for a reason
Convoy of trailers
Looming curve
Mention of "numerous turn outs" to enable them to pull over or me to pull over and let them chug along while I take a break.

Beautiful scenery to enjoy and I am never in a hurry to pass. Isn't the premise behind biking the enjoyment of the journey and not when you get there?
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  5:11 PM
I didn't pass (and wouldn't if I were to encounter the exact same situation again, either.) I wanted to get a sampling of the responses here, and I am encouraged by them.
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  5:12 PM
BTW, about 20 seconds later, the trailers did indeed pull off onto a turnout and let me pass within my own lane.
Go to Top of Page

SouthBayDon
Male Junior Member
48 Posts

Redondo Beach, CA
USA

Buell

S3T

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  6:32 PM
I would give them a chance to take turn outs first, but if they continued essentially blocking the lane, I would wait for an opportunity to take my superior acceleration and speed to pass one at a time. The law here in California is that if there are 5 or more vehicles behind a vehicle you are required to take a turn out.
Go to Top of Page

VodkaAndPickles
Male Advanced Member
589 Posts

Langhorne, PA
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 1500 LC

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  7:38 PM
No, if you don't see the oncoming traffic you must be blind. Plus a double-yellow.
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1667 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

99 Sportster XL 1200

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  1:22 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
No way I'd pass based on the view as depicted in the picture. Even ignoring the double solid line, (I've posted my views on lines in another topic), there is insufficient distance of clear view to affect a pass safely (even in the absence of the oncoming car). The upcoming turn, the spacing of the trailers, the narrow shoulder with woods on both sides inviting deer or other animals to come out onto the roadway. Too many dangers staring at you and too many variables. I'd just enjoy the ride and wait for a better opportunity to pass (depending on the speed of the trailers), wait for the trailers to pull off, or if they got on my nerves, pull off myself and take a break.
Go to Top of Page

dhalen32
Male Moderator
841 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  7:18 AM
BadBob:
No.
Double yellow - illegal!
Oncoming traffic - ouch!
Limited sight distance - potential ouch!
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Thom Thumb
Advanced Member
1594 Posts
[Mentor]

Jordan, MN
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster XL883

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  8:47 AM
No thank you. Others have pointed out the various reasons. I will only add, is that a skid mark in the left lane? A SINGLE skid mark?

TT
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  9:10 AM
Would not pass:
1. double yellow line
2. oncoming traffic visible
3. no clear view of how many vehicles there are--you can see two, but there could be more, either between the two trailers seen or ahead of the second trailer.
4. upcoming curve limits view of distance ahead.

Any one of these reasons would lead me not to pass. All four of them--NO WAY!
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  10:05 AM
quote:
I will only add, is that a skid mark in the left lane? A SINGLE skid mark?

I don't remember that specific mark from my passage down that stretch of road, but it could be either a skid mark or a tar snake. Let me review the original, higher res image. Stand by . . .
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  10:09 AM
Upon further review, the evidence is inconclusive. It appears too flat to be a tar snake and lacks some of the usual identifying characteristics of a skid mark, such as visible evidence of a tread pattern and a progressive decrease in rubber transfer near the terminal end of the mark. In short . . . I dunno what it is.;-)

Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  10:21 AM
Here's how I judge this situation:

1) The oncoming traffic is obviously too close to get around even the first trailer.

2) Unless they're going about 35 mph or less, there isn't room to get around the first one before coming too close to the blind curve.

3) If those two trailers are too close to each other, it will take a longer straight to get past both of them. You don't want a tight squeeze between them unless it only lasts a few seconds.

4) Did someone say something about the color and pattern of the lines?

I don't see any turnouts on the left, so there should be no danger of them suddenly invading your space there.

quote:
Originally posted by SouthBayDon

The law here in California is that if there are 5 or more vehicles behind a vehicle you are required to take a turn out.

The people here are better about obeying that law than in any other state that I've driven in, but too many don't seem to know about it. And they're the ones that will slow way down for the corners, then think that because they got back up to the speed limit on the straights, they're not doing anything wrong.

I'll generally give all slow traffic a chance to willingly let me get by, and they always get a friendly wave and maybe a friendly beep beep of the horn when I go by too.

I can't tell from the photo how far back the previous curve was, but there is a good chance that in this photo, I would already be in front of those two, unless you just barely caught them.
Go to Top of Page

dfpd273
Male Senior Member
303 Posts

Princeville, IL
USA

Yamaha

warrior

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  12:39 PM
No way!
Forgetting the fact that the double yellow line is there, the oncoming traffic would definitely stop me.

Also the upcoming bend in the road could be bad. There could be someone on a Yamaha V-Star 1100 coming from the other direction.
Go to Top of Page

VodkaAndPickles
Male Advanced Member
589 Posts

Langhorne, PA
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 1500 LC

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  9:23 PM
You ride a ZX14. Others might be riding a Honda Rebel or an Electra Glide. So "adding 20" or "squeezing by" might not apply to everyone. Also, if you think the risk of being sideswiped by oncoming traffic and passing around a blind curve is worth it, go ahead. Personally, I don't. I'd rather keep the left side of my body with me, thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

AZJohn
Male Standard Member
133 Posts

Clarkdale, AZ
USA

Honda

05 Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  10:47 PM
This is not an unusual occurrence around here. The road over the mountain is steep, narrow, curvy, and full of tourists, many in vehicles going slow or pulling trailers. It is sometimes tempting, for those reasons, to use the interstate highway and avoid the probable congestion by going around the mountain instead of over. On a good day, though, it's a hell of a nice ride. I have seen more than a few bikes pass slow-moving traffic across a double yellow on that route, but personally I won't do it. Sometimes I'll just pull over and let them get farther ahead and then ride my own pace.

Just the other day, though, I was the passee instead of the passer. I was riding those twisties at a minimum of 10 MPH over the posted limit, and was tailgated by a cager who must have been in a real hurry. I ended up pulling out on a gravel berm to let the idiot pass.
Go to Top of Page

Tburd
Male Senior Member
476 Posts

Waukesha, WI
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard S50

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  11:35 PM
No.

There are yellow lines which seem to me to justified by the near upcoming curve.

Another concern is whether I would pass one or both trailers. If just one then I would wnat at least 4 seconds between them in order to fit in comfortably, probably would like more distance than that.

If I wanted to pass both I would need to see much farther ahead than shown in this picture even without the yellow lines.
Go to Top of Page

Jim B
Male Senior Member
491 Posts

Newark, Delaware
USA

Honda

CMX250 & CB750

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  11:24 AM
As long as they are moving at or close to the speed limit, there is no way I would pass for obvious reasons.

The only way I would pass is if they are moving at a very slow and unsafe speed, such as 10MPH in a 50MPH zone, AND I need to be somewhere at a specific time. I would not want some hotshot coming up behind me at a high rate of speed while crawling behind those trailers.

If I don't need to be anywhere, I would pull over and enjoy that scenery, take pics, etc.
Go to Top of Page

gadgetgeek
Male Standard Member
149 Posts

Tracy, CA
USA

Aprilla

Atlantic 500

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  1:33 PM
Crossing the double yellow is bad, obviously. Poor distance visibility in this case is likely the reason for the line choice.

How about this, though:

There are railroad tracks that I cross every day. The road leading up to the tracks, and the tracks themselves are in very poor repair. The road and tracks on the other side are smooth and easy to cross. The tracks are at a slight elevation above the road making distance visibility poor, but you can still see cars if they are approaching.

Do you cross the double yellow to ease the ride over the tracks?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05