(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Would you pass these vehicles?
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rcwing
Male Starting Member
1 Posts

Leesburg, Florida
USA

Honda

GL 1800

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  4:01 PM
Why pass the scenery is too good to miss.Slow down and enjoy the great outdoors.Love the look around there............
Go to Top of Page

JamesGang
Male Junior Member
30 Posts

Sydney, Cape Breton Island
Canada

Honda

'81 Goldwing

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  6:08 PM
I agree with all the negative responses to this poll on whether or not you would pass the RV's, even without the on-coming traffic in the picture. Isn't this a 'no brain-er'? How about giving us a really tough picture test, BadBob?
Regards,
Rick
Go to Top of Page

BadBob
Male Standard Member
161 Posts

Know Name City, Unknown
USA

Yamaha

V-Star 1100

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  6:19 PM
I agree with your assessment. I chose this photo in order to contrast the responses here with those that the same photo and question elicited elsewhere. There's a huge dichotomy.
Go to Top of Page

Cat-woman
Female Standard Member
234 Posts

Radcliff, KY
USA

(None)

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  2:05 PM
No

1) oncomming traffic

2) curve ahead

3) Did we miss the double yellow line?

Even if there was nothing oncomming and no curve, the double yellow is reason enough for me.
Go to Top of Page

JDTexas
Male Junior Member
49 Posts

Victoria, TX
USA

Kawasaki

Vulcan

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  6:46 PM
No,

1) I dont cross double lines. My luck would predicate a cop in hiding if I did.

2) Oncoming vehicle. Nuff said.

3) Blind curve on the left. Even without the oncoming car, there could be anything around the corner.

JD
Go to Top of Page

dpage9040
Male Starting Member
9 Posts

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
USA

Honda

GL 1800

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  7:53 PM
besides the obvious reasons, yellow line, blind curve, etc..., what's my hurry. It looks like a nice day for a ride and the scenery is great and I am not at work.
Go to Top of Page

plthirty2
Male Starting Member
2 Posts

Dearborn Heights, Michigan
USA

Honda

CB 360

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  12:58 PM
No way. I'd just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  2:47 PM
No way.
That situation is common on the roads I ride for pleasure around here. I take a look from the outside edge of the lane, to assess what's there on my side, drop back a little into an 'I'm clearly not going to overtake' position, and wait for a dotted line on my side to appear.
Then I assess the oncoming traffic, and any traffic behind me, while moving up into an 'about to overtake' position, make a go or no-go decision, and either drop a gear and pass very quickly, or back to the 'I'm clearly not going to overtake' position. Occasionally it's several miles before I get to a 'go'. I enjoy each process as an exercise of skill, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

DecibelSword
Male New Member
16 Posts

Knoxville, TN
USA

Suzuki

VL800/C

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  6:04 PM
There is no way I would even attempt to pass in this situation:

1.) I have ridden for less than six hundred miles;
2.) I have driven automobiles of all kinds for thousands of miles yet I would not risk such a pass in any one of them, even if I was driving a Ferrari Enzo; (yeah, right )
3.) methinks the double yellow may be painted here because of the impending left-hand curve;
4.) it is illegal to pass on a double yellow;
5.) there is never a reasonable time to assume LEO's will not be present; (John Lennon says it best when he says 'instant karma's gonna' getcha')
6.) if it was really bothering me to be stuck behind the trailers I would pull over and enjoy the scenery long enough to let them get significantly further ahead of me.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2266 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  9:08 PM

NO. Not even a ounce of thought going into this one.

I see a lot of responses first go to the issue of the double yellow. The first thing I notice in the photo perspective is the lack of visual at the curve coming up ahead.

Blind curve and the vehicles ahead (even at a slow speed) are going to be at the curve (blind spot) before you could get around them. Nowhere for anyone to go including the potential on-coming vehicle/s. This is a pretty easy call.

~brian
Go to Top of Page

cramersec
61 Posts

Athens, GA
USA

Kawasaki

ZRX

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  10:16 AM
I certainly wouldn't pass there, but I wouldn't be a slave to a double yellow line if there were sufficient sight distance. My bike has a lot of acceleration capability, so I'm out and back in very quickly. Some day a LEO may see me, but that's life.

I am not advocating anyone else ride like I do, just stating facts.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

dogdoc427
Male Standard Member
196 Posts

Milan, New York
USA

Yamaha

650+87 Honda GL1200I

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  9:54 AM
The GLARING obstacle to me is the double yellow regardless of traffic conditions and road configuration. Pull over, take a drink of your favorite (NON alcoholic, of coarse) beverage and enjoy the scenery while they plod along. I lean toward the more conservative style and ask myself "what if.............?" a lot. It just does not look like a safe pass. Besides, passing on a double yellow would only create a negative view of motorcyclists to anyone observing the act.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 4.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05