(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 How many miles did it take YOU to feel real proficient on the road for the type of riding you do?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  8:06 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
By proficient, I mean all reactions for the type of riding you do are automatic. There is no real thinking about things like counter-steering, braking, cornering, etc. The physical skills have receded into the background and only mental skills are at play. (Traffic conditions, etc.)

A symptom of this level would be reacting to threats before consciously perceiving them.

All answers are less than and are in miles.

For those that aren't there yet, please don't answer.

Results:
1,000   [14%] 8 votes 
3,000   [31%] 18 votes 
9,000   [29%] 17 votes 
15,000   [5%] 3 votes 
20,000   [12%] 7 votes 
25,000   [3%] 2 votes 
35,000   [2%] 1 votes 
50,000   [3%] 2 votes 
75,000   [0%] 0 votes 
100,000   [0%] 0 votes 
more than 100,000   [2%] 1 votes 
= Guests (23 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 59 counted  »»   Last Vote: 01/26/2009 2:29 PM 

Edited by - rioguy on 10/28/2008 8:35 AM

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  8:31 AM
This is a difficult one because my first 40,000 miles were on dual sport type motorcycles with not a lot of serious street riding. I didn't really concentrate on the skills you've listed until then. But somewhere, 10-20,000 miles after beginning serious street riding I reached that point. For me now, motorcycle control is almost 100% automatic, scanning for dangers is automatic, and I concentrate on enjoying the ride.

And you left out a choice of "not there yet", which might just be the most popular one.
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  8:34 AM
"And you left out a choice of "not there yet", which might just be the most popular one."

Agreed. I don't think I can add a choice.
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  4:44 PM
I voted on the basis of 'this time' after a fifteen year layoff....
Go to Top of Page

dfpd273
Male Senior Member
303 Posts

Princeville, IL
USA

Yamaha

warrior

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  5:27 PM
I believe that just around the 10,000 mile marker, I felt very comfortable dodging things out in the country. There are always new challenges, but I felt pretty confident riding in the dark, sun, and decent weather. I would say that it took quite a good deal longer to feel safe in the "elements". I still don't care for riding in the rain, but I know I have the ability to at least do it safely.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  8:23 AM
I took the minimum, because the question related to how I "felt". In the early 70s, it took me all of five minutes to feel rather confident at a new sport.

Today, I'd have taken the "Not There Yet" option, had it been available.
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  8:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Niebor

I took the minimum, because the question related to how I "felt". In the early 70s, it took me all of five minutes to feel rather confident at a new sport.

Today, I'd have taken the "Not There Yet" option, had it been available.

It's so difficult to make a poll without error. Especially in a poll where you can't make two choices and keep them associated. I would have liked to link the number of miles a person has riden to the answer, but it doesn't allow that.

"Felt" is a lot different than "were."

The reason I asked this is I had a breakthrough at about 30,000 miles where things just changed. There is no longer any need to think about the mechanics of riding at all which leaves a lot more time for watching traffic. Even that has become much easier than it was earlier.

I suspect in another 30,000 miles, I'd select the "not there yet" option today.

Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1063 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  3:28 PM
I'm still learning..... quite a few years, and well over 100k miles this time around....
when I stop learning, I'll park the bike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05