(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Choice of 'Beginner' motorcycle
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

haithabu
Male Senior Member
282 Posts

Canmore, Alberta
Canada

Honda

Varadero

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  10:01 AM
My first bike was a 1969 CB450, in 1974. I didn't think of it as big at the time. Took a motorcycle safety course (my father's condition) and was scared silly enough to ride it carefully for at least a few months.
Go to Top of Page
ananga73
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:37 PM
I bought a 1460cc bike which is no slouch on the day I passed my MSF BRC. I had a frank discussion with my MSF instructor who indicated with the mindset I had about riding and my cage driving record, I would be fine on a bigger bike with a lot of initial PLP.

My first bike was my dream bike and of course the dealer tried to convince me that a smaller engine would not be a good choice. However in reality his pitch had no effect on my purchase behavior. I visited the showroom several times over a four week period, sat on the bike and did a lot of reading on riding etc before sealing the deal.

For the price I got it due to the economy, it was the best deal I could get at the time. Finally of course I don't need no wimpy little bike.
Go to Top of Page

Pretzel
Male New Member
12 Posts

Toronto, On
Canada

Kymco

Venox

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  9:51 PM
I bought a Kymco Venox 250CC for my first bike. I heard from a few people that I would outgrow it quickly. For 99% of my driving, it's perfect. Nice and light. Great bike for a newb to learn on. I can easily accelerate to 100KM/H (About 60MPH), and 120KMH isn't hard to hold either. Even doing the standard "+20", this covers all the roads. I don't have the power to pass on the major highways, but those are boring to ride on anyway. On the smaller roads it's no problem to pass or accelerate if I need to. If I was to do a lot of cross country I might find it too small, but if my bike was any bigger, I would almost never use the extra power, and I'm sure I would regret the extra weight of the bigger bike.
Go to Top of Page

CorbinD
Male Junior Member
49 Posts

North Port, Florida
USA

Suzuki

Intruder 800

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  11:47 PM
I would like to add my "It's what I could afford" to the unofficial list. I bought my first bike from my brother in law, a 05 honda rebel that he bought as his first bike. It is a very small but manuverable bike, no regrets from me. He was just way too big for it, 6'3" at almost 300 lbs. I plan on riding the Rebel until I can afford a bigger bike, My wife loves to go for rides on the bike. Problem is the Rebel has a 6" wide seat for the passenger, or as she calls it a one cheeker.... When it comes to buying a bike period, get what feels right for you and will do what you want it to. BTW when I get the bigger Bike, wife gets the Rebel :)
Go to Top of Page

RickRussellTX
Male Standard Member
165 Posts

Hawthorne, CA
USA

Honda

CN250

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  12:51 AM Follow poster on Twitter
Heck, my machine is 250cc and I may never upgrade. More speed would just get me in trouble.

RR
Go to Top of Page

Livesteam45
Male New Member
11 Posts

South Brunswick, New Jersey
USA

Yamaha

VStar Silverado 650

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  8:03 PM
My first bike is a Yamaha 650cc Silverado. Low center of gravity, perhaps a tad heavy but very comfortable. It's has more than enough power for my 5'8" 215lb frame, so far I'm very pleased.
Go to Top of Page

jbalderr
15 Posts

Fremont, CA
USA

(None)

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  1:30 AM
First bike 30 years ago was Kawasaki KE100 when it was OK to go 55 on freeway. It was the max. displacement allowed by Texas for a 15 year old. My August 2009 Re-entry bike was a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250, because I like nimble bikes that I can take onto the dirt. Makes me feel like I'm 15 again. If there were no dirt around, I would have located an RD400.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05