(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Road Hazards
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  5:34 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Which of these highway hazards do you consider the most dangerous for a motorcyclist

Results:
Deer Overpopulation   [29%] 29 votes 
Truck Tire Carcasses on Roadway   [7%] 7 votes 
Unsecured Loads on Vehicles   [14%] 14 votes 
Highway Barriers   [5%] 5 votes 
Center Line Rumble strips   [1%] 1 votes 
Edge Breaks (2 lanes of unequal height)   [12%] 12 votes 
Construction Scraping Texture   [1%] 1 votes 
Painted or other surfaces that become slippery when wet.   [18%] 18 votes 
Other   [13%] 13 votes 
= Guests (67 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 100 counted  »»   Last Vote: 02/26/2009 12:37 PM 

Indiana Randy
2118 Posts
[Mentor]

Fort Wayne, Indiana
USA

Honda

2000 Magna V4 750

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  7:42 AM
If it were available, I would have selected 'All of the Above'. While all CAN be a hazard, I selected Deer since their movement is something we have no control over.
Go to Top of Page
rioguy
Ex-Member

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  8:30 AM
I selected other. My choice is lapses in attention.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  8:33 AM
I too would have selected "All Above". I chose "Other" because potholes are a huge problem in states with winter freeze/thaw cycles. They are difficult to see, can be deadly if encountered and in my experience are more prevalent than deer, at least in the upper Midwest.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  9:22 AM
I chose edge breaks because even though they're rare around here, it's one of the few things that really makes me nervous while riding. There is a section of I-680 north of here where there is a one inch height difference between the fast lane and the other lanes. I prefer to ride in a combination of the #1 and #2 lanes, but lane changes there feel a bit dangerous to me. I'm curious if any unaware motorcyclists have ever crashed because of the edge.

Other things, like deer, we can't really do anything about. An edge break could actually be fixed permanently - or shouldn't have been allowed to exist in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Night Train
Male Advanced Member
1667 Posts
[Mentor]

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada

Harley-Davidson

99 Sportster XL 1200

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  9:34 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Although all items listed are dangerous, I selected unsecured loads on vehicles simply because it is the one I encounter most frequently. The frequency of the encounter increases the level of risk.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4263 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  9:46 AM
I also chose edge breaks. When I have encountered them, frequently during the warm months when road work is done, the edges have been as high as three inches, and there seems to be a total disregard for motorcycles when one is forced by signage and barriers to transition across the edges at the various points along the paving and repaving areas.

Not mentioned, but becoming more common locally are raised (6-8") traffic channelization cubings in the center of the roads and at urban intersections. From the amount of black tire marks, it is obvious that the cars and such are running into and over these channelization curbing's. These curbing's will easily knock an inattentive motorcyclist down with the additional hazard of the fall taking place in a moving traffic stream.
Go to Top of Page

LoveableJunkie
Male Junior Member
29 Posts

King's Lynn, Norfolk
United Kingdom

(Unknown - Other)

Skyteam ST50-3TR

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  11:22 AM
I chose other - I'd agree with rioguy. Inattentiveness .
Go to Top of Page

Jim B
Male Senior Member
491 Posts

Newark, Delaware
USA

Honda

CMX250 & CB750

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  11:46 AM
While all of them are dangerous, I chose Deer as the most dangerous, as they jump out of hidden places and leave you very little choice of what to do.

The others can be seen and dealt with as long as you have that '2 second rule' and abide by it.
Go to Top of Page

D R
Advanced Member
1053 Posts
[Mentor]

Northern, Virginia
USA

BMW

R1200RT

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  1:51 PM
I thought about deer at first because the can do unexpected and unpredictable things. As I thought about it, other drivers / riders can likewise do unexpected and unpredictable things.

While we might encounter a deer, we are guaranteed to encounter other motorist, and there are far more motorist on the road than deer in the adjacent woods.

As such I selected other - I feel the greatest hazard to be encountered on the road is my fellow motorist.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  6:58 PM
Larry Cardo ask me to put this poll up, he is still in the process of gathering volunteers and I believe he is making some progress in that area. DR you are right other highway users seems to be our biggest issue of concern add to them all these and other hazards one could think of it a wonder we don't have more accidents than we do.
Go to Top of Page

(Deleted or Lost)

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  8:02 PM
I voted Deer as there is very little defense available. Even riding slower in deer infested area poses other significant hazards.

But I wanted to vote for several, and rank them...

Deer Overpopulation #1 for the reasons above.

Highway Barriers #2 A secondary danger. When things go bad, they can make things go fatal.

Unsecured Loads on Vehicles #3 Hard to defend against (not usually impossible, but sometimes they can be).

Painted or other surfaces that become slippery when wet. #4 for sheer prevalence, and the fact that they are most dangerous when vision is poor (in heavy rain).

The others can be managed reasonably with training and experience...
Go to Top of Page

cooldadof4
Male Junior Member
42 Posts

Houston, Texas
USA

Honda

1994 GL1500 SE

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:45 PM
Riding Houston highways, I go for the unsecured loads, especially the Lawn Maintenance trailers. I search them out and get from behind them pronto.
Go to Top of Page

Blacksheep
Male New Member
17 Posts

Tallahassee, Florida
USA

Harley-Davidson

FLHTCU

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  6:58 AM
Its a rainy morning here in Florida and I am just now reading strings that I have never read before, so I am going to respond to this even though the polls are closed.

Pavement edge height differences kill motorcyclists every year here in the sunshine state. The Florida DOT even has a specification that limits the maximum height between lanes at 1.5 inches. Most of the cases I get involved with have a difference of 2 - 3 inches (amazingly, contractors don't always follow the specification).

The problem with this situation is that people don't have the necessary depth perception to determine the edge height difference and the next thing you know, they are tripped and flat out on the road.
Be careful out there my two-wheel friends, work zones are especially dangerous to us.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05