(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Helmets - an interesting assertion
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  7:58 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
I read today an interesting assertion about head injuries to riders who DO wear helmets.

quote:
It is now known the biggest head injury producing force is not the fall force to the helmet, but the rotational force associated with forward velocity at the time of the helmet strike. Earlier this year a lengthy report was released in the UK calling for new testing standard for helmets to account for this rotational force. This effect was first noticed in downhill skiers and a helmet made for them, POC helmets, MIPS system. Side note, kind of sad that this was not discovered in the thousands of motorcycle crashes that occurred but in the few downhill ski crashes.

Can anybody confirm this assertion or at least explain it with some specificity?

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  9:34 AM
Can you provide a link to the article making the assertion?

Rotational forces may be a factor in brain injuries involving some downhill skiers however, around here the deaths are due to skiers smacking trees and rotational forces are likely a secondary factor.

Additionally, head injury deaths to skiers are relatively rare, with or without helmets as compared to motorcycle riders. The etiology of motorcycle head injuries is not logically or scientifically comparable to head injuries involving skiers based on the statement quoted in the above post.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  10:41 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I cannot find the article I quoted from but I do know who posted it.

Mr. Steven Guderian, the owner of a firm known as "Motorcycle Safety Consulting" (in San Francisco, I believe) made that statement in a LinkedIn forum on Road Safety in the last couple of days.

I have read his posts many times in the past and he seems both credible and well informed.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  11:16 AM
The above comment by Mr Guderian is contained in the end notes of the following article. "Some Facts About Motorcycle Helmets-----" https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1F...edit?pli=1#!

Go to Top of Page

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
110 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650 ADV

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  12:47 PM
I read an article a couple years back about a proposed helmet design that would use a somewhat flexible covering with the intent being that this covering would move a bit in order to prevent the helmet from twisting. I have no idea of the actual mechanics taking place when a helmet slides on a surface so won't offer an opinion on effectiveness.

Here is a link I found with a quick Google search:

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/...raight-ahead
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  1:38 PM
A bit about head injury explained for the lay person. http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patien...s/index.aspx

And, real time sensors in helmets. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/...-helmet.html
Go to Top of Page

Horse
263 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  10:17 AM
Something like 30 years ago a Scandinavian company (Momo?) designed a helmet with a soft outer 'shell' which would abrade away rather than 'gripping' the road surface and creating the brain swirling spin.
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  10:33 AM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
There is a company called '6D' that hopes to have a street legal version of their helmet by the end of this year.

This is NOT an endorsement of that company. Rather, I am providing a link to their site as a source of information about rotational forces and injuries.

http://www.6dhelmets.com/
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  12:53 PM
Here is an available motorcycle helmet that accommodates rotational forces.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3ACA48FC41B6
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  1:00 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Yep. That's 6D.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  1:58 PM Follow poster on Twitter
I'm not 100% certain but I believe the "rotational forces" referred to may cause a basilar skull fracture which occurs when the skull is violently rotated, causing a fracture at the base of the skull. This is the injury that killed NASCAR champion Dale Earnhardt, among others. Following Earnhardt's death, NASCAR began requiring the use of the HANS device to prevent the driver's head from violently snapping forward in the event of a crash. I have seen similar devices used in other types of motorsports as well.

A HANS-type device used in motocross is discussed in the following article...http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2006...6_neckbrace/

Edited by - Magnawing on 12/17/2013 2:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

OB
Male Advanced Member
528 Posts

Houston, TX
USA

Buell

1125CR and others

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  9:18 PM
I've been reading little snippets about this type of helmet for the last year and a half. Although I'm not qualified to evaluate the merits of what increase or decrease this design has on safety, it seems to me that the impulse time (of momentum) would increase in a crash, and generally I would view that as a positive attribute. Thanks for posting about it. Anyone see a helmet that using webbing as the shock absorbing part of the helmet yet in the marketplace?

Edited by - OB on 03/10/2014 9:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05