(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 Carry Permit
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  5:51 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
Of those who have a permit to carry a weapon, do you carry when riding?

Results:
Have a permit and carry all/most of the time   [31%] 5 votes 
Have a permit and carry on occasion   [31%] 5 votes 
Have a permt and never carry   [38%] 6 votes 
= Guests (4 votes)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Votes: 16 counted  »»   Last Vote: 12/16/2009 5:26 PM 

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  7:39 AM
You need a fourth choice for those of us who feel compelled to vote in every poll, but don't have a permit. Maybe a fifth choice for people like me who have never even owned a firearm.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  12:01 PM
Scott, maybe you should start a poll to found out who is compelled to vote in every poll and who does not own a weapon.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  12:16 PM
I found myself in the same boat. No permit, carry "occasionally".

I'm not compelled to carry on day-to-day rides. On overnight plus outings, especially in the woods, large rallys and the like, I will.
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  3:10 PM
Not sure how difficult it is to obtain a permit in your state, but I think your taking a big chance of you carry without one.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  5:21 PM
Axiom,

Not at all. In fact, I took the permit class only to find out in Colorado, I'm within my rights to carry a handgun in my gear without any permit requirement whatsoever. I'm fine with that, and see no need to expose myself further. If and when I start touring, I may re-evaluate that position. Realize in places, New York for example, it's illegal to carry anyhow, a little dilemma we all have to face...

Indeed, On the way to a weekend gathering, I and another rider were stopped, (speeding?, interesting story in it's own right...) with a handgun in my gear, wondering how I'd respond if he asked. He didn't ask.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  9:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Axiom2000

Not sure how difficult it is to obtain a permit in your state, but I think your taking a big chance of you carry without one.

Getting the CCW Permit for Colorado was quite easy and a streamlined process (at least at that time in the mid 90's) yet I'm sure it pays to know laws or ordinances in other communities as to how to pack or carry.

We have 'Open carry' here in my area as well and a guy wanting to challenge laws kept coming to my place of work with a shotgun strapped on his back. He ended up in court over it and even took the gun to court with him. He eventually found the trouble he was looking for. Having no reason be at the hospital or any patient to visit, he could be warned, then served a trespass warrant but I'm not sure if that was done. I do know his big show was all about walking around in places that were questionable.

Although I don't know his exact outcome, the Health-care organization I work for has notices at all entrances regarding the open display of firearms as illegal and against policy. Had he been a CCW holder and come in with a sidearm concealed, he could walk about freely unless he were wanting access to restricted patient areas that are maned with screening devices and or metal detectors ... a (legal) way of controlling access in communities with open carry or ccw allowances.

~brian
Go to Top of Page

Nightwatchman
Male Standard Member
135 Posts

Littleton, CO
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  11:15 PM
I tend to carry at all times except when riding... I don't want to risk adding a gunshot wound to my laundry list of injuries if, God forbid, I end up dumpin' it.
Go to Top of Page

OlHossCanada
Male Junior Member
50 Posts

Lethbridge, Alberta
Canada

Kawasaki

1991 VN750 (Vulcan)

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  10:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nightwatchman

I tend to carry at all times except when riding... I don't want to risk adding a gunshot wound to my laundry list of injuries if, God forbid, I end up dumpin' it.

There seems to be little danger of shooting yourself if you carry with an empty chamber, and only rack the slide when you feel in need of protection. Sure it is slower than carrying locked and loaded, but much faster than going home to get your gun.

On the unlikely chance you are packing a double action revolver, the odds of any series of events leading to an accidental discharge in an unplanned get off, are so high as to approach the impossible IMO. I don`t/can`t *carry* because of our restrictive firearms laws in Canada, but I have been an active bullseye target shooter for 35+ years and competed in PPC (Practical Police Combat) shooting for a few years too. My S&W model 686 (.357 cal) with a 6" barrel is too bulky and heavy for everyday carry even in a shoulder holster, but I would have no fear of it discharging accidentally in a spill if I were allowed to carry it.
Go to Top of Page

Halap
Male Junior Member
60 Posts

Brooklyn, NY
USA

Suzuki

M50

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  10:32 AM
Just came across this thread, and had to put my .02 in (couldnt help myself). I have had a permit for 10 years, however I wont carry in the saddle since I cant think of a point on my body where I would want a gun-shaped imprint in case of a get-off (ouch). When going to the range, the pistols stay locked in a travel safe in the saddle bag. However, if you insist on riding strapped, and shooting yourself in a fall is a concern, go with a revolver (S&W makes a great hammerless titanium .38, which weighs almost nothing) or a DAO-only automatic with a firing pin disconnecter such as an HK USP.
Of course, if you live in an open carry state, a thigh holster over armor would probably do the least damage in a get-off.
Go to Top of Page

DAL357
Male Starting Member
5 Posts

Colorado Springs, CO
USA

Honda

Nighthawk 750

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  2:36 AM
I have been carrying my S&W 642 5-shot snubby in a pocket holster while I ride. As far as my Glock goes, I won't carry on-body while riding; it'll go in my saddle bags. I love my Glock, one of the two truly great automatic handguns of the last hundered years, but I don't want to become one with it should I go down.
DAL357
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  3:30 AM

I guess it's taken me a while to realize why I don't carry on two wheels.
My solo rides are typically the work commute or some errands around here.

On the longer journeys, I must have subconsciously or luckily picked a small group to ride with and in that group, one of the bikes has loud pipes.
Since loud pipes save lives, who needs a gun?

~brian
Sig Sauer P239 .40
Go to Top of Page

Halap
Male Junior Member
60 Posts

Brooklyn, NY
USA

Suzuki

M50

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  1:22 PM
DAL357, total agreement on the glock, the quality cant be beat. I bought an old police Glock 23 15 years ago, when my dad started teaching me how to shoot. The cop told me he had put 3000 rounds through it, and I added 10,000 more and counting, all without issues. I still swapped out the firing pin and the springs in the gun and mags at 8000 rounds, just for my own peace of mind. Also, the corrosion protection on this gun is incredible, some guns will get a light coating of rust when carried next to the body, especially when worn by sweaty Russians in the summer :) but this baby still looks brand new.

My only issues with this toy have been ergonomics (I prefer a slimmer handle) and the inability to carry locked and loaded (say what you will, but it scares me to have a pistol with a round in the chamber and no positive safety).

Sorry for the off-topic, can you tell I am bit of a gun nut :)
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Male New Member
16 Posts

Sierra Vista, AZ
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  10:46 AM
While carrying a semi auto in a holster on my right hip I went down on asphalt, at about 15 mph. I landed on the holstered gun. My only injury was a bruised hip. The gun handgrip was slightly nicked and the holster was scuffed.

It was my second accident on wet RR tracks. I dislike RR tracks. Even dry RR tracks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05