(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Polls
 How do you typically enter MSGroup.org?
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  10:58 AM   DetailDetail                        Like
Poll Question:
This is the first question of Part II of the Accessibility/Usability study. Recall that Part I focused on the Safety Tips. Part II focuses on general access to MSGroup.org. To this end, please answer the following question by making a choice:

QUESTION: How do you most typically enter MSGroup.org?

Results:
I respond to a topic subscription email from MSGroup.org.   [12%] 9 votes 
I enter www.msgroup.org into my browser, then select a main menu link (Home, Safety Tips, ...)   [33%] 25 votes 
I Google search a motorcycle topic of interest then choose a "hit" that is on MSGroup.org.   [1%] 1 votes 
I go to the Forum page http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp and browse randomly.   [39%] 30 votes 
I go to the Forum page and look at the Active Topic links at the very bottom of the page.   [12%] 9 votes 
I go directly to a specific topic that most interests me (e.g., Physics &Theoretical, Campfire ..   [17%] 13 votes 
I go to the Forum page, then click the Search link and search by topic, author, keyword etc.   [4%] 3 votes 
I go to the Forum page and look for entries by specific members.   [7%] 5 votes 
I go to the Forums page and enter a new topic (typically, versus responding to existing posts).   [3%] 2 votes 
NONE of the above (...please respond to this topic and explain how you typically access the site.   [13%] 10 votes 
= Guests (15 ballots)

Poll Status: Closed  »»   Total Ballots: 76 »»   Last Vote: 09/11/2008 10:48 PM 

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  11:56 AM
I picked the closest choice to what I actually do. I go directly to Active Topics, then go through everything starting at the bottom and working my way to the top. That way I don't miss anything and go from oldest to newest on each forum.

I use this: http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/active.asp

The drawback to doing that is that if I don't have time to read all the posts it's hard to get back to the rest of them later, especially on another machine.

Another forum that I visit regularly somehow knows all messages that have a new post in them. It marks each message with a little "new" symbol right after the subject. Reading it makes the symbol go away or clicking "Mark all topics as Read for this forum" makes all of the symbols go away. The advantage of that is that I can deal with forums one at a time when I have time, without the chance of missing some new posts. The big disadvantage, though, is that there is a whole lot more information to keep track of for each user.
Go to Top of Page

ColoRexer
Male Advanced Member
616 Posts
[Mentor]

Castle Rock, CO
USA

Kawasaki

ZX14

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  12:07 PM
Like Scott I also go directly to http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/active.asp most of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Tburd
Male Senior Member
476 Posts

Waukesha, WI
USA

Suzuki

Boulevard S50

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  12:50 PM
By bookmark I always go to http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp and while I do sometimes browse randomly, I almost always go to "Most Recent Posts" and skim through recent postings to get an idea what's going on. Typically I go into a few threads I find interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Biffinator
Female Junior Member
77 Posts

Castle Rock, CO
USA

BMW

F650GS

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  2:41 PM
I have the homepage bookmarked, usually go to "view all forums" and look for new topics or read the ones labeled "Today". Sometimes on some topics I have gone back to the beginning thread and read through the information. I enjoyed doing that on the Trip Reports.
Go to Top of Page

Baggsy
Male Advanced Member
720 Posts
[Mentor]

Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

09 Wee

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  4:16 PM
I use http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/M...entPosts.asp when it works, and then browse for interesting topics/people.
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  6:51 PM
I have the home page as a favorite. I then use the forums link, then link to Active Topics to see the latest and greatest bits of motorcycle wisdom. That Forums link is at the top of the home page, active topics is at top of forums page.
Go to Top of Page

radan2
Male Advanced Member
1117 Posts
[Mentor]

Jacksonville, NC
USA

Moto Guzzi

2007 Breva V750 ie

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  8:08 PM
I have a Yahoo homepage, with a link to the forum on it. After I read the news and answer my mail, I click on the link.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  12:13 AM

Most of the time I use the subscription feature to stay in tune with topics I've had an interest in or posted a comment/question. I use the link from my personal email that gets the hit.

Otherwise I peruse the Most Recent Posts primarily and access the site from my email hits (above) or my history list.

At work I have it in my favorites list and sometimes (at home) I just type in msgroup.org into google or the address bar.

I have recently started using the Search feature with inputs for topic, word or other filters. It has helped me locate older posts and is extremely helpful for me since I have some memory impairment.

It seems like I've tried or used almost all the methods available at one time or another. Ease of finding this site and accessing it is a great benefit. Hats off to the Host / Moderators and ALL involved !

~ brian
Go to Top of Page

Chicka_Dee
Female Junior Member
92 Posts

Durham Region, Ontario
Canada

Suzuki

AN650, Yamaha YP400

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  9:41 AM
I also have the main page bookmarked. I was surprised when "bookmark/favorite" was not in the poll options. Once at the main page I click on any forum where there have been posts after the time I last visited (except the accident report forum, which although it is very popular I avoid), opening each forum in a new tab. I then do the same in each forum with any threads I want to read.
Go to Top of Page

Dnc
Standard Member
132 Posts

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

Honda

CBR250RA

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  10:45 AM
I go to the Forum page and then the Active Topics with the link at the top of the page.

Go to Top of Page

fnotneyrod
Male Junior Member
34 Posts

Cornish, ME
USA

Honda

96 Goldwing sidecar

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  5:07 PM
I receive the RSS feed. If I want to reply to a post I click the Reply button and it takes me to the login page the proper reply page.
Go to Top of Page
Niebor
Ex-Member

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  8:07 AM
I start out at: http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/active.asp most of the time.

I'll also link into the forum by means of email links from PM's, and emails from members and moderators.

I usually start with the most recent and read backward.

In the hijack category, Watching the weather this morning, looks like a few of our southerly members will be rather soggy this afternoon. The site remaining active, and I suspect it will, is quite a testimant to modern technology and procedures. Stay dry my friends, be careful!
Go to Top of Page

gdickelman
Male Advanced Member
1205 Posts
[Mentor]

Annandale, VA
USA

Moto Guzzi

California Vintage

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  5:47 PM
quote:
...In the hijack category, Watching the weather this morning, looks like a few of our southerly members will be rather soggy this afternoon. The site remaining active, and I suspect it will, is quite a testimant to modern technology and procedures. Stay dry my friends, be careful!

I am flying to Boca Raton, FL in the morning (9/2) for work with a client for several days. I hope that all I get is wet!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05