(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Roadcraft
 Sensible US roads policing
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Nigel A
Male Junior Member
68 Posts

TAUNTON, Somerset
United Kingdom

(None)

Formerly BMW 80RT

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  1:05 AM                       Like
Just had this item flagged up.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/app...7039943/1130

Michigan State Police are becoming sensibly pro-active, or so it seems,

'Anything from driving too close to other cars to not wearing a seatbelt may trigger a trooper to pull over a motorist, police said.'

It's the driving too close to other cars which took my attention. I wonder what separation distance they are looking for. Hopefully it is at least the two seconds minimum which has been discussed on this forum'. I wrote an article called The Fog of War based around this scenario. In the UK 30% of all crashes are front to rear end shunts and that means people are following too closely and not looking and thinking far enough ahead.

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2263 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  1:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nigel A

Just had this item flagged up.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/app...7039943/1130
Michigan State Police are becoming sensibly pro-active, or so it seems,
'Anything from driving too close to other cars to not wearing a seatbelt may trigger a trooper to pull over a motorist, police said.'
It's the driving too close to other cars which took my attention.

I wonder what separation distance they are looking for. Hopefully it is at least the two seconds minimum which has been discussed on this forum'.

I'm not proud to say this, but I did once get pulled over for following too close.
It can be dangerous but I feel it more reflects an 'attitude' of the driver. I was entering a small mountain town and following a car that was doing 15 in a 25 zone or 20 in a 30 mph zone.
Whatever the case, I was (and still am), used to traveling at the posted speeds as a minimum where conditions allow. I deserved to get the attention of the Police officer and he was "doing his job". It didn't cost me anything and did yield some free advice.

I dislike being tailed as well but if I'm doing 10 under the posted speed, I'll probably either pull off the road or at least put my hazards on and stay way right.

~brian
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1690 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  4:33 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
I would guess that most states have a vague following distance on the books. Something like "reasonable and prudent". Although operator manuals for new drivers are more likely to advise 2 seconds, that has no enforcement ability though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05