(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Off Theme
 The Get Your Motor Running Chat Forum
 Bumper Chains Dragging the Ground
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Male Senior Member
410 Posts

Tampa, FL

Shadow Spirit 750

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  12:33 PM                       Like
Crazy question that has nothing to do with motorcycles and is not humorous, so I am guessing this is the proper forum to post it.

My son and I were driving behind a truck that had a chain attached to his bumper, not his tow hitch, about the same place a trailer ball would go. For whatever reason, perhaps he forgot about it, the chain was dragging the ground and extended about 6 feet or so behind his truck. My son asked what would happen if someone drove up behind him and put their tire on his chain?

My answers:

If the truck was stopped and someone could place their tire squarely on the chain, when the guy in the truck started moving again, he would certainly feel the drag as the chain was pulled from underneath the tire. It could possibly damage his bumper while at the same time possibly damage the tire.

If the truck was moving down the highway and someone moving at the same speed squarely put their tire on the chain, the truck driver would still feel the drag, but the tire in this case would be the one that could possibly experience the most damage.

Those answers satisfied his curiosity, but truth be told, I was guessing. That's not really a scenario I spend my day pondering. Now I'm kind of curious about it, does anyone know the correct answer or a more correct answer than mine? Google kept pointing me to sites concerning snow chains.

Male Advanced Member
802 Posts

Lansdale, PA

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  3:59 PM
I'm not sure what would happen in either scenario.

Perhaps we should make up some wild hypothesis and spread it around the internet. Then we can get the Mythbusters to do a show on it so we know what happens!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05