(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Clutch first frozen then fixed
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Peter Darby
Male Standard Member
110 Posts

Manassas, va

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  8:05 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
This is an FYI since I almost put the bike in the shop for a two second fix.
I came back from a couple of weeks vacation, got on my Kawasaki Nomad and while still in neutral I worked the clutch lever. Suddenly the clutch lever froze solid. (My bike has a hydraulic clutch with a reservoir on the top rather than the normal clutch cable.) At the time I assumed major problems and anticipated a trailer ride to the shop. However, after coming home in the evening I opened the reservoir just to have something to do. Suddenly the clutch hose burped and wonder of wonders, my clutch works like it is new.

Male Moderator
1478 Posts

Evanston, IL

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  10:30 AM
It's time to flush the fluid and at least check the master cylinder. If it happens once, it can happen again while riding.
Go to Top of Page

Male Senior Member
320 Posts

davison, mi

Road King

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  8:36 PM
Something familiar happened to my clutch, but it ended up being a throw out bearing.
Go to Top of Page

Advanced Member
6878 Posts

Pleasanton, CA

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  9:37 AM
Originally posted by halsey

Something familiar happened to my clutch, but it ended up being a throw out bearing.

Same here. The throw out bearing kept spinning the push rod which destroyed the seals in the slave cylinder causing it to fail. One of the symptoms was freezing in position.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 2.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05