(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3487 positive of 3869 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 General Discussion
 Those evil guardrails
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

iorch
Starting Member
1 Posts

Madrid, Madrid
Spain

BMW

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  11:42 AM                       Like
Hello,

First of all this is the greatest bike-related internet site.I've spent hours reading all the tips and posts.

Regarding me, I'm not a rider at all , as of now. I'm a 29 y.o male, from Spain. In the past, early 2000's, I rode some bikes, during a period, let's say, 4-5 years. From my starter bike, a dirt 49cc bike, Honda CRM, later a Husqvarna WRE 125 2t, Honda Rebel 125, and a power limited Honda Hornet 2001. I had a couple accidents, all of them due to my irresponsibility. Luckily enough, there weren't any other vehicles involved, so these events has become old campfire stories. At some point, I got my car license, so I lost all of my interest on the bikes I know, this might sound impossible for many of you fellow riders!! :)

A few months ago, I rented a BMW F 800 ST, all because some new friends we made, they own a Triumph bonneville, so we agreed it would be a good idea to have a fueled weekend! Sure it was, problem is, the riding bug is bittin' me day over day. Yeah, I love bikes...It was an awesome experience, such a powered machine..Problem is

I FEAR GUARDRAILS.

And Spain, almost each turn in any road has one of them. I cannot stop looking at them even in the car... Our roads are so rider-unfriendly...

I hear and read about lots of stories of riders severely mutilated, disabled or even dead because hitting one, even at low speeds. And, having so many of them in our roads, automatically puts you in a risk that is just too much, chances are too high, but... cannot stop but looking at those two wheel beauties.

I don't know what to do.. I DO want a bike!!

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6878 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Peer Review: 2

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:26 PM
About a month ago I was riding along a narrow road with a 55 mph speed limit with guard rails on both sides and a strong cross wind. Normally I don't pay attention to guard rails, even on that road, but because the wind was blowing me around a bit I was thinking that if I got blown into the guard rail at speed and slid along the top, the upright metal beams holding the rail in place would tear me into little chunks rather quickly.

I stopped dwelling on the guard rail and put more of my attention into keeping in the left half of my lane and limiting the course deviations caused by the wind.

Most of the time, if the guard rail weren't there, whatever you would hit if you went off of the road is just as bad or worse than the guard rail. Running into a tree or off of a cliff would be quite serious.

If you know that you have full control of the motorcycle, guard rails shouldn't be a big concern. It sounds to me like you need quite a bit more practice in parking lots, then on low speed roads before going out on bigger highways. Once you're certain that you have full control of the motorcycle at all times, there should be no reason to fear guard rails any more than any other hazard out on the road.
Go to Top of Page

SkootchNC
Male Advanced Member
1058 Posts
[Mentor]

raleigh, north carolina
USA

Harley-Davidson

road glide

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  5:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by iorch

I don't know what to do.. I DO want a bike!!

Take classes.... take as many as are available. Practice in an empty parking lot. Take your time.

Any experience you may have gathered in your previous "riding career" is likely to have atrophied. Start from the beginning, with a qualified instructor.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 1.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05