(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Technical/Maintenance
  Windshield needs altering
 Windshield
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

scweeeker
Female New Member
12 Posts

Wilmington, DE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Heritage Softail

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  6:02 PM                       Like
I really thought about the altering of windshield but while riding today( very blustery) iI found I was slouching down to get outta the wind. I think I will wait a bit before switching it out. Its really not that bad
Thanks everyone for responses.
Next question???
Reverse gear on Heritage Classic? Would love the convenience. It would be so nice to have one. I dislike trying to backup to park. That is just my opinion and iI know most folks scoff at idea.
What say you?

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6886 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  7:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by scweeeker

Reverse gear on Heritage Classic? Would love the convenience. It would be so nice to have one. I dislike trying to backup to park. That is just my opinion and iI know most folks scoff at idea.
What say you?

I say your bike is too heavy.

But this is coming from someone who has always owned bikes weighing under 500 pounds.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1492 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  9:01 PM
Here's more not answering the question. Always park uphill.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4263 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  10:11 PM
Take your pick, lots of big twin reverse gear kits are available, all are more expensive than parking uphill or a gym membership that will get you strong enough to pick it up and turn it around. http://www.bing.com/search?q=revers...ZSBR&pc=MOZI
Go to Top of Page

Daddio
Male Advanced Member
775 Posts
[Mentor]

Calera, AL
USA

Suzuki

Bandit 1250

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  10:50 AM
Good call greywolf.

It took me exactly one time of not being able to back my bike uphill to back out of a parking spot. After that either gravity or the engine do all my work. You always have the option of your brakes to control your bike when you back downhill.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  11:17 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Got me thinking about how I park. I actually enjoy making a slow, tight turn into a spot, and then backing it in. I make a game of it sort of, to see how tight a turn I can make with my feet up still. That's totally optional though.
Go to Top of Page

SteveS
Male Advanced Member
1207 Posts
[Mentor]

Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

FLHTK 2012

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  11:01 PM
I have had reverse gear (by Champion) on both my Electra Glides. First thing I put on the new 2012. At my age and height I like the freedom to park where I want. Grant you 99.8% of the time I park facing uphill but since I am most all the time touring with loaded heavy bike and my wife on with me, I like the freedom to just grab a spot if thecsituation is dicey.

The reversechascsaved me embarrasment a few times!

If you are careful with it it can sure help.

And I often prefer to back into my garage which is uphill and I am not strong enough to do that without the reverse.
Go to Top of Page

capozzir
303 Posts

Leesburg, VA
USA

Honda

GL1800B

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  6:33 AM
Short legs (29" inseam) plus heavy bike (~975lbs) can make backing the bike up a challenge even on flat surfaces. Reverse is definitely a fantastic convenience.

Try backing at heavy bike on a loose gravel parking lot (even a flat surface) and you instantly are aware of how nice reverse is.

Reverse simplifies parking a big heavy bike.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05