(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Trip Reports
 Two one day rides
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
110 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650 ADV

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  2:11 PM                       Like
Scott's recent post about riding regularly prompted me to respond with info on two recent rides. June 9th I took a ride from Portland, Oregon heading west to the coast. June 10th I did a solo ride heading east from Portland for a lunch stop in Sisters.

The Sunday June 9th ride was 285 miles like so:

We rode along the Columbia river on the Oregon side up to Longview, Washington, across the bridge, then west along the Columbia river and to the coast at Long Beach. Lunch there, then down the Oregon coast, ice cream stop in Tillamook, then back through the coast range to Portland.

Here is a stop along the Columbia river in Washington. The bike on the right is my V-Strom 650. The rider in photo is Ron with his Harley.

Back in Oregon we stopped at a coastal lookout point near a place called Short Sands. Very nice weather that day.

Same lookout point, this is me with the V-Strom.

This is a turn out just north of Tillamook.

On Monday, June 10th I did a 360 mile loop from Portland, out highway 22 to Sisters, lunch there, back on Highway 20, up Highway 99 and back to Portland west side.

That trip starts with a short ride down interstate 5, lots of traffic on a multi-lane interstate but good time is made and before long I am heading east and rising into the hills. First stop to stretch is at a small campground near a river.

As the highway continues east the elevation increases and the country becomes drier. A fire swept through the area not too long ago leaving many dead trees.

Thee road is great with lots of big sweeping turns making for easy riding, good speed, great views, great weather - much warmer and drier by now. Wonderful day.

Just outside the town of Sisters after lunch and after a fuel stop. There is snow here in the winter, warm and dry in the summer.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  3:05 PM
Looks like I might need to add Oregon to my list of places that I need to ride to. I've been to that lookout spot in your third photo - while driving a car.

I need to get to the Ocean. Should happen July 5th.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  3:29 PM
If I wanted to see more V-Strom pictures I could have stayed at my usual web site.

edit: I guess the emoticon wasn't enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

Edited by - greywolf on 06/26/2013 7:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  3:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

If I wanted to see more V-Strom pictures I could have stayed at my usual web site.

I can't imagine you would get sick of seeing them!

I love my Sprint, but I still need an adventure bike too. (Please don't tell my wife I said that...She already wants a Bonneville and has only had my "hand me down" Vulcan for 2 months!)
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  12:27 PM
It's hard for me to believe, but someone took exception to my little inside joke about V-Strom pictures and gave me a negative review. I even put a teasing smiley in it. I'm a moderator at the most active V-Strom site on the planet, stromtrooper.com, and seeing a set of pictures with a V-Strom involved here struck me as funny. It isn't a big seller. Suzuki sales numbers for V-Stroms are dwarfed by those of cruisers and sport bikes.

If anyone else misunderstood, that's full picture.
Go to Top of Page

onthebeach
Male Standard Member
110 Posts

Arch Cape, Oregon
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom 650 ADV

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  1:00 PM
I certainly caught the joke knowing you as a V-Strom rider and one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in the V-Strom community.

Someday I'll have to see what more of a real cruiser is like to ride. Right now I am finding the V-Strom to be a good bike for me as I can go a fair distance comfortably and find it quite fun on curvy roads. I am sure that it has far more off road ability than I will ever use. My first riding was on a trail bike many years ago. If I ever went back on rough unpaved roads such as I used to ride I would want it to be on a much lighter bike but think I'm getting too old for that sort of riding now.

Oregon has a stretch of very nice weather coming up so I plan to get out and give the newly installed highway pegs a try. You may see another trip report or two showing up.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  1:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

It's hard for me to believe, but someone took exception to my little inside joke about V-Strom pictures and gave me a negative review.

I stopped trying to add humor of that sort here a few years ago because of this. If I'm going to get a negative review, I want to deserve it! (And I've had a few of those. )
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  2:02 PM
Luckily, I have enough overhead to make more jokes. Life's too short.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1495 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  7:40 PM
Well, I got a positive review from a member who wanted to balance the score. It's been an odd day.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  9:20 PM
It was obvious to me that you were joking. I consider you MR V-Strom!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05