(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Safety Gear
 Worn out hook & loop (velcro)
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  9:06 AM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend                        Like
Some velcro type strips seem to wear out quickly. Especially the strips that are used often, like at the cuff.

My winter textile jacket and my mesh jacket cuffs no longer stay hooked. The winter jacket also has a neck flap held closed by velcro too. I didn't want to replace it with more of the same.

I bought a "kit" of snap fasteners at Jo-Ann fabrics. The biggest, heavy duty type that they had. Should have looked for a stitch cutting tool too, but didn't. The snaps aren't going to work through the thickness of the old velcro, and they were sewn on.

I used an exacto knife to cut the stitches of the old velcro. Put the jackets on to get an idea of where to install the snaps. I just marked the end of the overlap, so that I could replicate the overlap that suits me.

Poked a hole through the jacket material to push the studs of the fasteners, and used the "kits" pin and anvil tools to secure the male and female snap buttons.

I'm pleased with the results, and tried them out. I'm sure the snaps will be more secure, and last a long time. If not, the kit came with several extras for my needs.

It bugged me before, even during a ride, to have to resecure the cuffs and neck flap. So one less distraction for me.

Horse
263 Posts

Newbury, Berkshire
United Kingdom

BMW

R850RT

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  9:41 AM
My Phantom suit's leg velcro is great at collecting spare carpet fluff. A happy hour can be wasted picking it out with a pin.
Go to Top of Page

Gryphon Rider
Male Junior Member
45 Posts

Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Honda

Valkyrie Tourer

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  3:22 PM
Picking the collected debris out of the hook side of the fastener can improve its grip. I, also, have added snaps. The wrist straps on my hot-weather gloves weren't staying fastened securely, so I used a hole punch for leather to help install snaps without removing the Velcro.
Go to Top of Page

rkfire
Advanced Member
1689 Posts

Stratford, CT
USA

Suzuki

Bandit

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  4:04 PM   Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
Where did you get snaps with a long enough tube to go through leather and velcro?
Go to Top of Page

House_of_Dexter
Male Senior Member
324 Posts

Richardson, Tx
USA

Suzuki

V-Strom DL1000

Peer Review: Blocked

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  2:25 PM
I've got an AlpineStar Bionic2 Jacket...the kidney belt is fastened by Hook & Loop...After a couple of years of constant use it stopped grabbing. With testing I noticed that the soft felt side was no longer working. I just stitched some new softside Velcro (that I picked up at a fabric store) and it works like a charm.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05