(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Trip Reports
 Route 66 Journey
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  9:56 AM                       Like
Beginning May 19th, I will be riding from Cornwall, Ontario to Chicago where I will meet up with my son from Langley, British, Columbia. From there we will ride the old Route 66 to Santa Monica, California during a three week period. Then it is up the Pacific Coast Highway through Oregon and Washington back to my son's home in Langley. I will then return to Cornwall through Canada.

If any of you live along this route or have done Route 66, I would be pleased to have your advice on any attractions, motels, or restaurants along the way or any other comments that will assist us in making this a safe journey.

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  10:58 AM
I only have comments on the Pacific Coast Highway part of your trip, since that's the only part that I have a lot of experience with.

If you go just a few miles out of your way to Solvang, they have a nice motorcycle museum where you can see some bikes you're unlikely to see very many other places. You might have to make prior arrangements to get in, since they're not open all the time, but they're flexible.

You might also consider visiting Hearst Castle at San Simeon. That will probably use up about half a day if you take a tour or two.

Just up from San Simeon and Hearst Castle, at Piedras Blancas is a beach where the elephant seals hang out. Even if you stop for just 10 minutes, it's worth it. There are always some of them there regardless of what time of year it is.

Enjoy the ride from there up to Monterey. Nothing but beautiful scenery on that section. Truly breathtaking scenery.

I always like riding along the coast in Monterey, south of the city. Be aware that you can't take a motorcycle on the 17 Mile drive, since it's all private properly and they don't like the noise, so they've banned all bikes.

Not much to see from Monterey to Santa Cruz, then it starts to get good again. From Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay, there are some wonderful twisty roads in the hills. Let me know if you're interested in trying any of them. If you're willing to head up into the hills, you need to at least visit Alice's Restaurant on the corner of Highway 35 and Highway 84. It's one of those legendary motorcycle hangouts/destinations.

Rather than staying on Highway 1 through San Francisco, I recommend trying to stay along the coast, at least until you get to Geary Blvd. It's up to you if you want to spend time seeing San Francisco or not. Lots of beautiful stuff to see, but it's still a big city from a traffic perspective.

Once across the Golden Gate Bridge, you need to take photos of your bikes with the city and bridge behind them both at the (very crowded) vista point on the east side of the road and on the road on the west side that has a number of scenic views.

You'll need to pay attention to get off of Highway 101 and onto Highway 1 for the rest of the trip northward. Consider going out to Pt. Reyes lighthouse if you're interested in a 3-4 hour diversion. Otherwise, say on Highway 1 all the way to Leggett, where you get back on Highway 101. If you want a picture of your bike riding through a giant redwood tree, the best one is the Chandler Tree in Leggett there. Look it up.

If you're staying in hotels, I prefer Arcata over Eureka. That's always my base for visiting Redwoods National Park. You MUST take a few hours to walk through the forest there and experience the tallest trees on earth.

Once you make it into Oregon and Washington you're on your own, other than staying on Highway 101 the whole way. I would recommend taking a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, then another ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver. Unless you really want to see Seattle.

I'm interested in lighthouses, so I try to stop at as many of them as I can. You'll have to plan ahead if you don't want to miss half of them, because not all of them are obvious from the highway.

We want a good trip report when you get back.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  3:37 PM
That is a great itinerary Scott, and would I only add Carmel, 17 Mile Drive and possibly a stop in Monterrey to it. In Oregon, Cannon Beach is interesting as well as Astoria.

I could go on and on, however it would require a few more months added to your tour and by then the snow would be flying.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  4:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gymnast

... and would I only add Carmel, 17 Mile Drive and possibly a stop in Monterrey to it.
They will be on motorcycles. Motorcycles are not allowed on 17 Mile Drive. I covered that area.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4267 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  4:15 PM
So, they can rent a car for that part of the trip.
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  2:07 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions Scott. I already programmed in a side trip to Solvang but I was unaware of the museum. The castle is a possible stop if we have time and we will definitely stop for the elephant seals. I cannot find Alice's Restaurant location on the map so if you could give me a reference point it would help. I've rerouted from Hwy 1 to the coast through San Francisco as you suggested. Why did you say pay attention getting from Hwy 101 to Hwy 1? Is it a tricky intersection? I'll check it out on google maps.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  2:43 PM
Alice's: http://goo.gl/maps/6AtwN

Yes, getting back on Highway 1 in Marin County can be tricky. Not just exiting Highway 101, but there are several turns that you have to get right as well.
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  5:57 PM
We begin our journey next weekend on May 18th. Friend us on Facebook at 'Timbob Kikkert' to follow us along the way. We will provide updates daily when possible.
Go to Top of Page

AaronC
Male Standard Member
102 Posts

Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Honda

1984 Magna vf700c

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  10:19 AM
Are you going through Detroit? Or are you taking a different route?
Go to Top of Page

bkikkert
Male Advanced Member
847 Posts
[Mentor]

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada

Harley-Davidson

Ultra Classic '08

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  10:39 AM
No, I'll be going across to Massena, N.Y. and then pick up I81 in Watertown to I90 west through Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05