(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Trip Reports
 Trip up Mt. Diablo
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  1:15 PM Follow poster on Twitter                      Like
While working in San Jose, CA last week, a member from another forum I belong to offered me the use of one of his bikes and a trip up the mountain...how do you say No to that offer?

Being from the east coast, I'm not used to those elevations, curves or lack of guard rails so, it was a new experience to say the least. I think my top speed on the trip up (or down) the mountain was about 25 mph due to the unfamiliarity with the bike or the roads. I have to say, that is some beautiful country and I would recommend the ride to anyone who is anywhere within a couple hours of it.

I also learned that I'm not a big fan of forward controls for anything other than highway riding. I felt a definite lack of control in the tight turns on the mountain roads without the ability to grip the tank/bike with my knees. It was great on the freeway to have the wind blowing up my pant legs but having my feet out front in a hairpin turn with no guardrail between me and a 200' drop definitely increased the pucker factor.

And now...the obligatory pics.

Edited by - Magnawing on 08/18/2014 1:33 PM

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  1:28 PM Follow poster on Twitter
I'll be back in the SF Bay area again next week (Pittsburg, CA to be exact) and may see if he wants to do some more riding.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  1:45 PM
I always enjoyed riding to the top of Mt. Diablo. I'm assuming you went up and down from the south entrance. I always liked to go up the south side and come down the north side, then head east and take Morgan Territory Road back south again.

The speed limit is actually 25 mph on much of the road, so sounds like you were going about the right speed. Did you check out the museum at the top?
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  2:28 PM Follow poster on Twitter
We went up and back down the South side due to time constraints. Couldn't get into the museum due to a private party. We may do the north side next time around if I can get out of work earlier. This was a work trip that I was able to fit some fun into instead of the other way around. My buddy lives in Lodi and we met up in Dublin so it was quite a trip for him...we may do some riding closer to Lodi next week since I'll be in Pittsburg instead of San Jose.

His hobby is flipping '94-'03 Magnas so he has plenty to choose from (I think he currently has 5-6 in the garage, including his and his son's).

the paintjob on the one I rode was amazing...looked like black, green and white marble. I have some close-up pics of it on my phone, I'll take the time to upload a couple if anyone is interested. The original owner reportedly paid $2600 for the paintjob and probably put another $2000 into extras (T-Bars, Jardine controls, Corbin seat, Cobra exhaust, LOTS of chrome bits)
Go to Top of Page

James R. Davis
Male Administrator
17292 Posts
[Mentor]

Houston, TX
USA

Honda

GoldWing 1500

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  2:57 PM Follow poster on Twitter  Join poster on Facebook as Friend  
It's been a lot of years since I rode into the mountains in California. Your pictures bring back lots of memories.

Nice friend you have there.

I also recall having exactly the same kind of thoughts about forward controls when a friend traded me his H-D for part of a ride.

It's not that I didn't like them - it's that I didn't feel as secure and confident with them. Different strokes, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  7:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Magnawing

My buddy lives in Lodi and we met up in Dublin so it was quite a trip for him...we may do some riding closer to Lodi next week since I'll be in Pittsburg instead of San Jose.
It's hard to get much further away from what I consider "good riding" than in Lodi.

Have him meet you part way in Antioch and take Highway 160 along the Sacramento River. I usually enjoy that ride, except for all of the bugs. That's if you want a fairly short ride.

Highway 12 out of Lodi will get you to the good stuff quickest. Go up to Highway 49, then it's good riding in either direction on that road or any main road heading east.

Highway 88 is also good almost all the way to Nevada.

If you're really ambitious, ride to Yosemite National Park. That will take all day, but there is some beautiful scenery. If you do it, be sure to ride up to Glacier Point and walk the 100 yards or so to the lookout over Yosemite Valley.

I can name about a dozen other good roads in the Sierras.
Go to Top of Page

Magnawing
Male Senior Member
281 Posts

The Woodlands, TX
USA

Honda

VF750C

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  8:02 PM Follow poster on Twitter
unfortunately, we only have an evening to ride. I would love to do Yosemite but there's no way I can swing a full day to ride. 2-4 hours is about all we can get in.
Go to Top of Page

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6890 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  8:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Magnawing

unfortunately, we only have an evening to ride. I would love to do Yosemite but there's no way I can swing a full day to ride. 2-4 hours is about all we can get in.

Then do Highway 160 and hope the wind is blowing hard enough to keep the bugs away. You'll notice a lot of windmills in the area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05