(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Physics and the theoretical
 Reverse counter-steering
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

lostinspace
Standard Member
100 Posts

Vancouver, BC
Canada

BMW

f650gs

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  7:16 PM                       Like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Something my son sent me. Any fabricators want to try this on a beater bike and YouTube the results?

scottrnelson
Advanced Member
6881 Posts
[Mentor]

Pleasanton, CA
USA

KTM

990 Adv, XR650L

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  8:43 AM
That was pretty cool.

I bet I could learn to ride that thing in less than 8 months. Maybe.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2260 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  3:20 AM
Hard to tell in the video but it appears the turn ratio is quite exaggerated.
It looks nearly impossible the start out on the bike with a straight front wheel position which would seem the way most of us start out. The front wheel flops over to one side immediately. If by design, that start out to get rolling and some momentum is nearly impossible, that could be as much or more of the challenge.

Not saying riding it would be an easy task but once upright and rolling, I suppose you'd counter lean a bit or stay very neutral and reverse very minor steer inputs to get the hang of it.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1483 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  8:07 AM
No, the ratio is 1:1. The flop happens because the muscle memory developed in learning to ride produces the exact opposite of the input required. E.G,. the wheel starts going a little right and the rider applies left movement to counter which causes the wheel to move more right etc..

I wouldn't even want to try the thing. Being able to ride it would make riding a conventional bike just as hard as trying to ride the reverse bike to the average rider. There is only one muscle memory track available to handle the job.

I saw one person try crossing arms and thought that might work. I got a rude surprise once when I tried controlling the bike's throttle with my left hand.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2260 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  9:28 AM
Okay, I get it. The speed of the 'exaggerated' wheel flop is the counterintuitive force that responds. Dang, that IS funny and I feel silly for missing it. I assumed the gears at the headset were not duplicating the normal ratio. Thanks GW !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05