(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Sharing of Lessons Learned
 Riding impairment is not just alcohol
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  

Young Dai
Male Junior Member
67 Posts

Southend, Essex
United Kingdom

Honda

ST1100a

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  8:42 AM                       Like
http://www.cadam.org/PDF/o2w45.pdf

This is a link to my Roadcraft group's summer magazine where, from page 14 onward the former chairman of the group (a serving Police M/C officer), describes the events leading up to his accident touring in Germany the previous year and the subsequent affects on his life and that of his wife.

As the guy 'walked away' (just) and the piece provides a full critique of the events and the causative factors, I have put it here, rather than the accident folder, as he does go into much greater details than you normally find in accident reports from the media. Which is as you might expect given his day job.

I rememember the sobering affect of the accident of the group as the guy was known as the least risk taking of any of those in the Essex Traffic Motorcycle team. If Jon could go down, then any of us could.

But:a head cold, a lack of sleep, an ailing bike and a desire to get to next hotel having lost time during the day all took his head 'out of the game' at just the wrong moment.

It's a raw bit of writing, not an easy read by any means. But like many an air accident report it's a message of the danger of cumulative affects.

Also a message about AGATT

DataDan
Advanced Member
542 Posts
[Mentor]

Central Coast, CA
USA

Yamaha

FJR1300

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  4:03 PM
I read the article and was impressed with the detail and the writer/officer/victim's self-awareness. And I am relieved that he and his wife came through reasonably well, considering the kind of crash it was.

For those who haven't read it, here is a short summary of the crash itself. Young Dai, if I have gotten this wrong in any way, please correct.

After entering B31 eastbound near Titisee (see [47.904900, 8.222800]), the rider mistook the road for a dual carriageway (divided highway). Riding in the right lane behind a truck, he saw a white car behind signal left, apparently intending to overtake the motorcycle and truck. With adequate space back to the white car, he too signals left to make the pass. As he does, he comes to the stark realization that they are in fact on a two-way road, and in the left lane is an oncoming truck, which they hit.

Read the whole thing. More important than those bare facts are his understanding of his frame of mind on that day and how it influenced events.
Go to Top of Page

bachman1961
Male Advanced Member
2266 Posts
[Mentor]

colorado springs, co
USA

Honda

CB750 NightHawk

Posted - 12/09/2015 :  7:28 PM
He appears to be a guy with a good sense of humor. I'm glad he hasn't lost that in the way he relates some of the details as he covers a time frame that offers good insights.

I was shaken a little by the details immediately post crash as he tries to get his bearings and realized what happened. I'm sure it stirs some of my deep buried experiences that got hidden away in a few of my incidents through the years.

It's worth reading by anyone I M O and not real long.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05