(Please visit one of our advertisers)

No donations or subscriptions are required

OR   

Subscription choices:
Board Karma = 40  (3488 positive of 3870 votes is 40 %pts higher than a neutral 50%)
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle   
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

You can the entire collection of Safety Tip articles in a 33 Megabyte PDF Portfolio

All Forums
 Motorcycle Safety
 Aging and Disabilities
 I'm not old - I just feel like it sometimes
Previous Page
Member Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  9:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by aidanspa

Has anyone here experienced hormone replacement therapy? If so, what where your results? If not, why not?
Click on the cricket please...

Guess I'm the only guy here who might have low T, huh? Or who wants to discuss it.
Go to Top of Page

greywolf
Male Moderator
1478 Posts
[Mentor]

Evanston, IL
USA

Suzuki

DL650AL2

Peer Review: 1

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  9:46 PM
That's something to discuss with your doctor. People here can tell you their experiences but you are not them and their experiences may be placebo effects. Don't believe any TV commercial trying to sell supplements. That's about as smart as replying to spam emails from Canadian Pharmacy.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  10:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by greywolf

That's something to discuss with your doctor. People here can tell you their experiences but you are not them and their experiences may be placebo effects. Don't believe any TV commercial trying to sell supplements. That's about as smart as replying to spam emails from Canadian Pharmacy.

Agreed Pat. I suspect it is quite common among older folks and offer it only as something to consider.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  6:18 AM
quote:
Click on the cricket please...
I just choked on my coffee.

I have not considered the treatment though there are many commercials run here for it. I find the cautions that accompany the ads to be off putting. I did not immediately respond because I think the topic would be an interesting one and did not want to derail it.

I think Pat's advice is the right way to go. Step one should be to consult a physician and determine whether or not that is your problem.

I'll give you my personal experience when I hit 51. I experienced what you describe. I self diagnosed and decided to take DHEA supplements. I stopped after a few months because I felt they made me short tempered and aggressive. I started to take about 5 supplements a day (one is a multivitamin, 2 others are specific vitamins), maintain physical activity as much as possible (stairs rather than elevator, bicycle rather than car), and try to get a good nights sleep (my toughest challenge). The change was quite noticeable though it did not make me 21 again.

Do you do anything similar?

I'll repeat Pat's advice of consulting a physician but would like board members to add their experiences.
Go to Top of Page

kacinpa
Male Advanced Member
802 Posts
[Mentor]

Lansdale, PA
USA

Triumph

Sprint GT

Peer Review: 2

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  7:10 AM
I'll also chime in with the advice to discuss this with your physician. Only a good physical exam and series of tests can determine for sure if the symptoms are hormonal, a medical condition or simply the affects of lifestyle.

A year ago next week I had a physical. I was feeling some level of fatigue and some of the other issues you describe, but otherwise I thought I was fine. My EKG revealed an anomaly. I was sent to a consultation with a Cardiologist, he agreed my EKG was "non-normal" and said I should have a Nuclear Stress Test "just to be cautious." The Stress test revealed a "potential issue" that the Cardiologist though could likely be treated with medication but felt I should undergo a Cardiac Catheterization "Just to be cautious." The Interventional Cardiologist who was to do the procedure told me ahead of time "It's likely nothing we are going to do anything about, but we are just being very cautious." When he injected the dye into my heart it revealed a 98% occlusion in my main cardiac artery. He immediately put in a stent.

I feel 1000% more energetic now and have changed my diet and now exercise regularly. Next month I have my final follow up with the cardiologist and hopefully come off the anti-platelet medication needed for the stent.

The moral of my story? If you aren't feeling up to par I think a physician is your best source of advice. An internet forum on Motorcycle safety - Probably not the best place to try to seek a diagnosis or treatment options for whatever symptoms you may be experiencing. Not to be over dramatic but if I had gone that route it is almost guaranteed I would have had a massive heart attack and likely be dead now.

Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

gymnast
4254 Posts
[Mentor]

Meridian, Idaho
USA

Harley-Davidson

Sportster Sport

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  10:21 AM
Kacinpa, your example and advice are spot on. There is nothing to be gained by "playing around" with ones health.

One of the best non medical ways to maintain and/or improve ones health is maintenance of optimal weight, proper diet, and regular exercise. The internet can be a great source of information if one uses the search function to find the information to help make wise decisions.

A general piece of advice is to avoid most or all health related products that make sweeping claims supported only by testimonials. It has been my experience that physicians will recommend some nutritional supplements when specifically appropriate to an individual patient.

Edited by - gymnast on 05/31/2013 1:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Arnold
Male Standard Member
172 Posts

Santa Monica, CA
USA

Kawasaki

KZ1000

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  1:26 PM
My advice: don't trust doctors or the police. Eye doctors especially are notorious for criminal behavior.

Talk to someone you trust, be mindful, and treat your health as the number one priority in your life.

Best of luck to you sir
Go to Top of Page

Axiom2000
Male Moderator
1761 Posts
[Mentor]

Georgetown, Delaware
USA

BMW

F 800 GT

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  2:06 PM
quote:
My advice: don't trust doctors or the police. Eye doctors especially are notorious for criminal behavior.

While I am sure their are untrustworthy types in any profession, I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that about them all. One of my very best friends is an eye doctor and I know him to be an outstanding honest guy. Likewise with a few friends of mine who are both state and local police. They are not all bad. It's always about the individual not what they do or who they are, I think.
Go to Top of Page

rayg50
Male Moderator
2082 Posts
[Mentor]

NYC, NY
USA

Honda

Shadow Spirit 750DC

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  9:28 PM
I just reread my post and now feel that I may have given the impression that I did not practice what I preach.

The doctor who for years has acted in the role of GP for me is a cardiologist. He treats me for high blood pressure and I see him every 3 months. Once a year I go through the EKG, Echocardiogram, blood, and urine test thingees (not all at the same time). He is aware of any medications and supplements I take. We both claim that I am in good health. However, as his nurse undiplomatically put it at my age things can go south real quick so these should be done.

As was suggested, step one is see your doctor.
Go to Top of Page

aidanspa
Male Advanced Member
1739 Posts
[Mentor]

Omaha, NE
USA

Harley-Davidson

Road King

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  9:38 PM
Thank you all very much for your considered advice. I had no intention of soliciting medical diagnoses or treatment advice from members of the best motorcycle safety site on the planet, but since this forum for challenges facing older riders exists I thought I would bring it up.

It could be dozens of things causing my symptoms, and I need to see a physician for a complete workup. Kacinpa's post was a wake up call.

I don't see a Dr unless I'm feeling very ill or in great pain. The last time I called "my" Dr a couple years ago, I was told he had died over a year before that. Well that will change. I'm just that age and my family deserves better than that.

And that's why I post here.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Discussion Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
Jump To:
All Things (Safety Oriented) Motorcycle © Master Strategy Group Go To Top Of Page
  This page was generated in 3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05